Proposal: Toronto - Winnipeg

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think we'd be looking for as close to 1 for 1 as possible if Trouba were moved. Primary need coming back would be LHD. No need for forwards or goaltenders at the moment. Right now our roster looks great on paper and just needs to develop and reach their potential. I'm still all for trading Myers when he's healthy rather than Trouba. He's been serviceable as a top 4 dman even while playing through a nagging injury for the past two years according to the reports that came out when he was sidelined for hip and knee surgery over the summer. Thing is, his value would be much less than ideal after surgery. Maybe he becomes available at the TDL if the Jets aren't in a position to contend for the playoffs. With Dallas, Chicago, Nashville, and St. Louis having a good chance of making the playoffs we'd have to hope only 3 get in from the Pacific and that we beat out Colorado and Minnesota. The Central division sucks to play in heh.

On paper the Jets look good. There is no way this team should have been bad enough to get Patrik Laine this draft. But they did. And they will be the beneficiaries of this for years to come. Perhaps the mix is not the right one. I would consider moving one of the top 3 $ cap hits on D. Definitely not Trouba. I would think he would have to be a player you build your D around. There is a lot of good young talent on this team, and you want them peaking at about the same time. Maybe one of the 31 year olds will be moved? But Trouba from an impartial NHL fan's point of view. I would love this kid on my team. Don't make a mistake of trading him.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
On paper the Jets look good. There is no way this team should have been bad enough to get Patrik Laine this draft. But they did. And they will be the beneficiaries of this for years to come. Perhaps the mix is not the right one. I would consider moving one of the top 3 $ cap hits on D. Definitely not Trouba. I would think he would have to be a player you build your D around. There is a lot of good young talent on this team, and you want them peaking at about the same time. Maybe one of the 31 year olds will be moved? But Trouba from an impartial NHL fan's point of view. I would love this kid on my team. Don't make a mistake of trading him.

Due to the high amounts of periods/short sentences, I read this in my mind with a Christopher Walken voice :laugh:

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
The Jets wouldn't trade Trouba for Nylander++ and the only pieces making any sense to the Jets aren't available (Matthews or Rielly) so there's nothing here. Gotta love the structure of the Jets. Like The Winter Soldier said, they were already a good team on the paper prior to drafting Laine. Now they're running into the next season with the best prospect added with already nasty roster. Should be a lot of fun.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
IMO Trouba is just to expensive asset wise and $$ wise to really entertain. The Most I would be willing to go is Gardiner+2017 unprotected 1st which is IMO more than enough value wise but may not work team needs wise.

Now Myers is a guy we should be looking at. With the injury we may be able to get him at 75 cents on the dollar.
However what we have to part with is the same things the Jets have and that is a ton of A- forward prospects.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
IMO Trouba is just to expensive asset wise and $$ wise to really entertain. The Most I would be willing to go is Gardiner+2017 unprotected 1st which is IMO more than enough value wise but may not work team needs wise.

Now Myers is a guy we should be looking at. With the injury we may be able to get him at 75 cents on the dollar.
However what we have to part with is the same things the Jets have and that is a ton of A- forward prospects.

Gardiner. There's not much of interest in Toronto other than him. That's not 75 cents on the dollar, but that's what it takes.

Stormcrow

Jul 5, 2010
Yeah this doesn't get you Trouba, You want Trouba then Rielly is going the other way it's plain and simple. To get a good D man you've to give up a good D man here.

While I can see your logic, I don't think that Toronto will trade Rielly.
I have read that Trouba wants top 4 minutes and that won't be in Winnipeg.
I don't think Toronto is quite there yet to move one of their new young guns to fill a gap so perhaps he will move elsewhere :dunno:

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
I don't think Toronto is quite there yet to move one of their new young guns to fill a gap so perhaps he will move elsewhere :dunno:

he has never averaged less than 22 minutes TOI/gm over a season... what are top4 minutes?

whatever you've read, you might have read it wrong...

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

Myers is about as over rated as a D man can be.....and very over paid as well.

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
Myers is about as over rated as a D man can be.....and very over paid as well.

Myers is not overrated and is maybe slightly overpaid, thats a small slightly though... Typical comment from someone who obviously does not watch Myers much. He has not be overrated in years since he won calder. He got roasted for years after that. He is a great #3-4 mid pair guy. And he gets talked about like a mid to bottom pair guy. So overrated no. He is not paid like a top end #1 or 2 guy, so I would say your off base on both points.

Jetsfan87

Aug 24, 2015
Ontario

Which is exactly why these Trouba to Toronto proposals have to end. We don't need what you have/are willing to trade (young wingers).

I'd consider Gardiner ++++ (big add) but that would only happen if there was no chance of Trouba signing, and Toronto would probably not like the ++++ and decline...

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
How about

Gardiner
Kadri

For

Trouba

Not worth it. Gardiner and Kadri are 26 year olds signed to significant contracts in my mind as fillers until The Leafs get better. Jets are a rising team full of talented young players. Some will need to be paid when they reach RFA status. Plus Little and Myers are better options than Kadri and Gardiner once the Jets start ascending the league. Trouba easily is the best piece of any deal I have seen proposed here, the only way I would deal him is if Rielly comes back the other way. I think both are 2 of the better prospects from that 2012 draft of similar value IMO.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
A plateauing defenseman on the eve of an undeserved pay raise, a mediocre scoring prospect for 2 bluechippers and a high draft pick. No thanks Winnipeg!

Plateauing at 22? :laugh: Either you don't understand hockey or this post just reeks of ignorance. Can't really figure out which.

I truly understand why most logical leafs fans stay the hell away from this board when people like you represent them.

So utterly typical, the leafs players are gold, why because they are leafs, while the Jets players are mediocre why because they are Jets. You and your fellow bashers on here really need to get a clue bud.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
I'm bored, and going to play along. Let's just assume here that there is no way Rielly is on the table and Trouba is being moved (As a Jets fan I really want Trouba resigned so chill out any Jets fans, just having some fun to kill some time at work)

Marner + Gardiner + 3rd/4th
For
Trouba + Roslovic + Hutchinson

Flame away.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I'm bored, and going to play along. Let's just assume here that there is no way Rielly is on the table and Trouba is being moved (As a Jets fan I really want Trouba resigned so chill out any Jets fans, just having some fun to kill some time at work)

For

Flame away.

Oh boy. This will get emotional very soon.

A very easy yes for the Jets, assuming that Trouba being moved means that he is still unsigned. But that also means that the horde of angry Leafs fans will be here very soon.

E: That trade is basically an elite potential winger + #3 defenseman locked up for 3 (?) more years + 3rd/4th FOR a low end #2D with low end #1D potential + top 6 potential C + a competent backup. I love Trouba and would kill to get him signed long term today, but if it wasn't possible, I would downgrade him to massively upgrade Roslovic without hesitation.

Last edited:

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie

For

Flame away.

Appreciate that you actually offered value but for me upgrading from Gardiner to Trouba isn't worth downgrading from Marner to Roslovic. Hutch would be an alright backup but as a whole I would pass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad