Proposal: Toronto - Winnipeg

Ttownjets61

Jun 1, 2016
This is getting so overplayed. With the same response of NO!!!!! However for once it's actually a really good prospect tossed in with nylander. Usually a bunch of spare parts and the classic Pitts 1st (to late for that one)

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
leafs pass. how dumb would it be to move on from Nylander after the year he just had? and then toss in our best D prospect and a pick in the 31-35 range as well?

:shakehead

nothing against trouba, but there is no way to conclude who will be better between him and willie.
the dermott and 2nd for petan part of this deal makes it an instant no

Xscout*

Feb 9, 2014
Yea willie is on track to be a first line fwd across the board. Can't see him being moved unless it's an overpayment. Wpg fans probably feel similar to trouba so it's doubtful a deal can be made with these 2 teams.
Dermott is also torontos top d prospect right now. So thats just a bad deal for TO

Xscout*

Feb 9, 2014
Would consider a deal with Gardiner but that's a tough sell too. He's just hitting his stride.

LondonKendrick

Jun 18, 2016
So we get to be the donkeys that give Trouba 7 x 7 and Petan? Wow, Petan might even top nine forward one day.

I'm not going to say awful but we're clearly high on Nylander and we're not paying through the teeth to solve Peg's Trouba extension issues for them.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
No from the Leafs. Nylander for Trouba would be even at best for us. The rest of the trade doesn't work.

BEERnSOUP

Feb 2, 2015
So we get to be the donkeys that give Trouba 7 x 7 and Petan? Wow, Petan might even top nine forward one day.

I'm not going to say awful but we're clearly high on Nylander and we're not paying through the teeth to solve Peg's Trouba extension issues for them.

Any trade conversation would likely involve info on his demands, and if it got to the point of being close probably talks with Trouba's agent (like what happened with Andersen). IMO, the only deal that makes some sense between TOR+WPG would be Gardiner + and wouldn't involve Nylander or Petan. Gardiner has a lower ceiling, but contract status is in his favour. I can't see a deal going down if the only way to sign him was 7x7, but no one outside of those negotiating knows what his actual ask is.

WPG probably wants to keep him but isn't ready to commit long term yet (not based on anything though). Far too much risk at 7x7, but if was 5 or 5.5 x 6yrs like Rielly/Jones I'd be down.

Mad Brills*

Any asset not named matthews should be available for trouba.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Any trade conversation would likely involve info on his demands, and if it got to the point of being close probably talks with Trouba's agent (like what happened with Andersen). IMO, the only deal that makes some sense between TOR+WPG would be Gardiner + and wouldn't involve Nylander or Petan. Gardiner has a lower ceiling, but contract status is in his favour. I can't see a deal going down if the only way to sign him was 7x7, but no one outside of those negotiating knows what his actual ask is.

WPG probably wants to keep him but isn't ready to commit long term yet (not based on anything though). Far too much risk at 7x7, but if was 5 or 5.5 x 6yrs like Rielly/Jones I'd be down.

There has been zero real feedback on Trouba's contract demands, nothing to date but false rumours. His agent has publically stated that Trouba is absolutely not asking for 7 mil per year, he's clearly asking for 6 something per year, team will be offering likely 5 something per year. Let's see where the settle. Trouba has stated he wants a long term deal, no bridge deals.

If Chevy ever did decide to trade Trouba (highly unlikely but possible) he would likely target:

1) Equally young, proven LHD with same high end potential. Very rare

2) Near NHL ready elite LHD prospect that's a sure thing.

3) Very high end centre, young with huge potential.

4) BPA (including wingers)

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Real good chance of Nylander being the best player in the deal in 3 - 5 years. I don't touch this deal. I also don't like Petan and he's definitely not a need for the Leafs.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Our most appealing piece to Winnipeg is likely Jake Gardiner. Great shot suppression numbers and could really help the Jets. The problem is he's not enough to get the job done on his own.

So what is an addition that makes both teams happy?

Kapanen and 2 2nds? Is that too much quantity over quality? Feels like we're trying to make something fit that doesn't. Obviously the Leafs would love to have Trouba but i'm struggling to come up with an offer that makes sense for both sides.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Our most appealing piece to Winnipeg is likely Jake Gardiner. Great shot suppression numbers and could really help the Jets. The problem is he's not enough to get the job done on his own.

So what is an addition that makes both teams happy?

Kapanen and 2 2nds? Is that too much quantity over quality? Feels like we're trying to make something fit that doesn't. Obviously the Leafs would love to have Trouba but i'm struggling to come up with an offer that makes sense for both sides.

If there were any trade talks, Jets would push for Reilly, Leafs wouldn't do that (close to lateral move).

No forward or goalie pieces from Leafs would be of interest (outside one who wouldn't be available).

I agree only thing even remotely possible is Gardiner +. No disrespect meant but if Trouba was traded I suspect the return from other teams would be much better then Gardiner+. Unless Leafs really stepped up and the + was painful to give up.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
No from the Leafs. Nylander for Trouba would be even at best for us. The rest of the trade doesn't work.

Yeah I agree that Nylander for Trouba straight up would be pretty tempting for Toronto...I'd think it would merit some consideration from WPG as well, especially if the reported contract demands are true. I like Trouba quite a bit, and see him as a perfect partner for Rielly, but trading Nylander could come back to haunt us.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
I wouldnt trade Nylander for trouba though I believe the value is close to equal. Maybe a three way deal where the leafs send JVR to the ducks for fowler and the leafs send fowler plus another solid piece like connor carrick and maybe a 2nd in 2017 for trouba. The plus with fowler is just really tough to choose because of the gap in value between trouba and fowler and the fact that the jets are so deep basically up and down there line up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad