Leafs 4--2. However, I would like to see lineup changes:
Hyman Matthews Marner
Mikheyev Tavares Nylander
Robertson Kerfoot Vesey
Thornton Spezza Simmonds
Rielly Brodie
Muzzin Holl
Lehtonen Sandin/Dermott
Thoughts? I think Hyman is lost on 3rd line and Thornton needs to go down to 4th. Vesey should play with Kerfoot and Robertson in for Barabanov. I also think Lehtonen should be in. Bogosian didn't look sharp last night.

Why change a winning lineup?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I know people want to see Freddy and Hockey Night in Canada and I do too, but he should start tomorrow, reason being that Matt Murray is likely going tomorrow and I don't want our backup against their starter.

Now if for some reason Matt Murray is saved for Hockey Night in Canada then absolutely start Campbell because I think Campbell is better than Hogberg.

But I think Andersen should start against Murray.

Regradless they SHOULD win both games but I think your best chance of doing that is going power on power and that means Andersen VS Murray

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Here's there lineup likely

That defence is trash. The big guns should be lighting it up. Not sure how Murray will do but he better be prepared for a lot of rubber.

I will say in a few years from now their offence could be pretty good though. They'll be able to score some goals but its not scary. That Stuetzle guy is going to be really good though. He was great in the world juniors. We'll all hate him soon enough.

Omg that defence lol. Reminds me of when we had Rielly and that was it. Also that first line has potential but is super young with no experience, will be up and down for them.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Omg that defence lol. Reminds me of when we had Rielly and that was it. Also that first line has potential but is super young with no experience, will be up and down for them.

Lol yeah that's true about our D back in the day.

Definitely the first couple of lines could do some damage but they need a better mix still I think. A few years and that offence will most likely be pretty good.

That's why years like this you need to get a lot of points off teams like this.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Theoretically they could put BOGO 4th line LW... send Barabanov to the Taxi Squad and call up Lehtonen. BOGO and Simmonds 5-7 mins a night just to let Tkachuk know that if things get chippy there might be consequences.
I like that idea just to get Lehtonen in the lineup and quarterback the 2nd pp

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
You guys literally have no clue what physicality Ottawa is going to bring. Watch out for these guys they added since last year: Watson, Paquette, Gudbranson and Josh Brown. Even their 3rd OA Stutzle plays with an edge.
Are all those guys actually in the NHL this year? For real? Lol

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
After spending quite a bit of time recruiting Barabanov, he's not going to be taken out of the lineup so quick. Perhaps in situations where there are three games in four nights... maybe then, but don't count on it otherwise.
In the same vein, I agree and think they will also accrue some cap space and then bring up Lehtonen on a game-by-game basis. Short season, and not much time to evaluate how much to offer him as a pending UFA.

They went through a lot of work to recruit these two guys, and I think they want to see what they have.

Reminds me of the chances Rosen and Borgman had when they first came over.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I think it wasn't a strong showing for sure. But I loved the overall dynamic of what that line brought. Largely because of willy and JT. I don't expect Vesey to be a standout ever alongside those guys. But I do think he can play better than what he showed yesterday. It was promising to see him finish in the 3rd there, lucky or not, he displayed patience waiting price out. A ton of players would have fired that off on a 1T. For example, i think soup takes that on the 1T, and who knows if that goes in. He will get more chances like that playing with those 2, if he continues to bury I will accept that
I think that line scored four of the Leafs' five goals.

I thought the whole line was pretty effective, and I didn't notice any passengers.

Reactions: willmma

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Yes. You can scratch someone and bring someone off the taxi squad. That is what I'm saying.

I am speaking within the confines of the rules. I know that you need waivers to send someone to the TS. I suggested Barabanov can be sent to TS and bring one of Sandin/Lehtonen and someone like Robertson in to rotate bodies. This is all within the confines of the rules and doesn't require waiving anyone.

Also, you keep referring to non-ELC requiring waivers, which is incorrect. Anderson and Engvall are not on ELC and are also waivers exempt. Just say waiver-exempt and don't confuse things w/ ELC.

Leafs are accruing cap space playing under the salary ceiling right now. It's likely that they're assigning Barabanov to the TS on non-game days (roster of 20, TS of 5) and putting him back on the main roster on game days. With those 2 rosters (80m and 80.9m) they're averaging an accrual of $69,000 per day (115 day regular season) on the cap ceiling, which means by roughly Monday they should have enough space to bench bogo for a game and bring in Sandin ($81.7m on that roster)

EDIT: Actually assigning Barabanov to TS brings us under 18 skaters, so unlikely they're doing that on non-game days. Also I got the math inverted on how much we're accruing. We're spending $700,000 per day but it would take ~20-25 days into the 115 day season to run w/ a 22 man roster. So, someone would indeed need to be waived if Leafs are going to cycle bodies in near the beginning of the season.
Thats the whole point.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I hope that with the amount of games the Battle of Ontario really heats up. Ottawa usually save their best games for us.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I think that line scored four of the Leafs' five goals.

I thought the whole line was pretty effective, and I didn't notice any passengers.
Ya I wouldn’t by any means classify vesey’s game yesterday to be passenger. On his goal, he created the pressure initially on the boards, which resulted in drouin panicking, and later firing it off the official. Call it lucky, yes. But had drouin not been pressured, he would have had his head up and realize the official was there. And likely wouldn’t have tried to fire it around the net. In my mind I thought he complimented JT and Willy well. I think he just needs to work on finding the open space. Because tap ins and high danger chances will come

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad