GDT: Toronto Maple Leafs @ Washington Capitals 7PM on Leafs TV: Grabovski's Revenge Pt 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayzorexe

Meh..
Dec 29, 2009
Toronto, ON
After 3 poor outings in which 2 were blow outs, I can't find much optimism lately to watch these guys. Either way, you hope for the best that something will change...

As of right now, they sit outside the wild card spot and a playoff position for the first time this season after last nights lost to the Canes

11 - 15 - 5 Since the start of November (only 4 regulation wins in that span and 27 out of a possible 62 points)

21 - 19 - 5 :leafs @ 21 - 16 - 6 :caps

http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/preview?id=2013020670&navid=DL|TOR|home

Last 10: Toronto 4-4-2; Washington 3-4-3

Season series: This is the second of three games between the Toronto Maple Leafs and Washington Capitals. Toronto won 2-1 in a shootout at Air Canada Centre on Nov. 21.

Big story: Expect plenty of pucks fired on net at each end of the ice; the Capitals and Maple Leafs are 29th and 30th, respectively, in the NHL in shots against per game. The Capitals fired 50 shots on Toronto goalie James Reimer in the teams' first game.

Both clubs have been struggling. The Capitals have lost six of eight games, and the Maple Leafs have lost three straight since their Winter Classic shootout win against the Detroit Red Wings, allowing 18 goals during the skid.

Team Scope:

Maple Leafs: Not only have the Maple Leafs allowed a lot of goals during their three-game losing streak, but they've scored just five. Toronto lost 7-1 to the New York Rangers on Saturday and 5-3 to the New York Islanders on Tuesday, each on home ice.

They didn't fare any better on the road Thursday night, when they were routed 6-1 by the Carolina Hurricanes.

"Right now we are getting a performance that isn't anywhere close to what is required to give ourselves success," coach Randy Carlyle said. "Our goaltenders are strung out and left hanging high and dry from the quality scoring chances, and they are coming from that critical area. We can't continue to give those chances up."

The Maple Leafs are allowing a League-high 36.4 shots per game; Washington is next at 34.3.

Jonathan Bernier will likely be in goal for the Maple Leafs after James Reimer took the loss at Carolina, allowing six goals on 36 shots.

The Maple Leafs will play three of four games at Air Canada Center following the game in Washington.

Capitals: Washington snapped a four-game losing streak (0-2-2) with a 4-3 road win against the Tampa Bay Lightning on Thursday night. Eric Fehr scored twice in the game; he got the Capitals' first goal and then scored the game-winner with 51.5 seconds left in regulation.

"It wasn't the prettiest way to win," Fehr said. "But scoring in the last minute - the team really rallied and hopefully we can carry the momentum forward."

The Capitals play their next three games at Verizon Center. They host the Buffalo Sabres on Jan. 12 and the San Jose Sharks on Jan. 14.

Who's hot : Maple Leafs left wing Joffrey Lupul has scored a goal each of the past three games. Center Tyler Bozak, who had his point streak halted at eight games in Carolina, has three goals and eight assists over his past nine games. … Capitals center Marcus Johansson has two goals and two assists the past three games. Defenseman Mike Green has three goals and two assists the past six games.

Injury report: Toronto forwards Dave Bolland (ankle) and Trevor Smith (hand) are on injured reserve. Defenseman Carl Gunnarsson (upper body) and forward David Clarkson (foot) returned to the lineup Thursday after sitting out Tuesday against the Islanders. … Washington forward Michael Latta (lower body) and defenseman Jack Hillen (fractured tibial plateau) are out.

Anyways, lets hope for a win tonight because they can jump past Detroit tonight for the 1st Wild Card Spot if they win.

GO Leafs GO!

Last edited:

wam_raven

Mar 2, 2007
Hoping for:
- A goal against in under a minute
- Down by 3 goals by the end of 20
- Goalie pulled
- 40 shots against, 7 goals against
- Grabovski hat trick
- Clarkson -4

Ace88*

Oh man i have a bad feeling Grabovski's gonna torch us. 2g, 2a.

Rayzorexe

Meh..
Dec 29, 2009
Toronto, ON
Hoping for:
-A goal against in under a minute
- Down by 3 goals by the end of 20
- Goalie pulled
- 40 shots against, 7 goals against
- Grabovski hat trick
- Clarkson -4

1st one might be avoidable
2nd is possible
3rd one won't happen unless the 2nd one comes true
4th- Guaranteed
5th one is possible but more likely to see 2 goals or coming out flat
6th - 3 at most

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
It's gonna be true lawls seeing everyone criticize Grabovski if he doesn't do much this game.

"Hah! Seen that before."
"Grabo invisible? What else is new."
"Look, he's on his ass again!"

Washington is also ahead of us and he is outscoring most of our roster.

Igy

Mar 3, 2011
Calling back to back blowouts here. Grabo with 4 points.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
Go Leafs Go
We need to start skating and rushing the puck. Defense needs to take the extra second and look for the pass, not just blindly fire the puck. Gardiner needs to be put back in and allowed to play his game controlling the puck. And Bozak needs to work his intangibles and wake JVR and Kessel up. First line has been MIA.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
Anyways, lets hope for a win tonight because they can jump past Detroit tonight for the 1st Wild Card Spot if they win.

GO Leafs GO!

maybe not first wild card because Rangers and Canes are also playing tonight. but I think worst case is last wild card spot if they win. however Detroit will have two games on hand.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
Hoping Phaneuf has a huge bounceback game....

First to the puck, no slowing down going into the corners, looking over his shoulders for fore-checkers;

Challenging someone physically who is not inches shorter than himself;

Showing team first combativeness in his game early when it still might make a difference.

7 more years folks.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Grabs hat trick .. Ovi with 2 goals .. Tom Wilson with a goal because he's a rookie and is front Toronto - It's a given

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Love him or hate him Grabovski seems to have been the straw that stirred the drink of the Maple Leafs. He was the spark plug that lite the fire or the energizer bunny that took a licking and kept on ticking that motivated his teammates to action by his determination.

He struggled offensively himself to provided enough offense but his intangibles (heart, determination, energy etc) seemed to have a positive effect on his teammates and their play based on how they play now without him.

Nobody on the current roster has replaced his contribution outside of the boxscore.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
Love him or hate him Grabovski seems to have been the straw that stirred the drink of the Maple Leafs. He was the spark plug that lite the fire or the energizer bunny that took a licking and kept on ticking that motivated his teammates to action by his determination.

He struggled offensively himself to provided enough offense but his intangibles (heart, determination, energy etc) seemed to have a positive effect on his teammates and their play based on how they play now without him.

Nobody on the current roster has replaced his contribution outside of the boxscore.

I remember debating the buyout when it happened on some other forums and thinking the leafs just gave away their heart and soul.

He was one tough SOB that never gave up. How could that not have been infectious on the team?

I guess the theory was that clarkson was going to provide that in spades for the leafs, instead he's just been .. well, invisible.

magnet43

May 1, 2011
LEAFLAND
2236675.jpg

Feb 24, 2004
Making the trip from NYC to Washington for this game tonight. I'm still excited, despite how badly the team has looked this whole season. It's my first game attending though, so I'm curious to see how they'll look from the big picture.

I'll be wearing my Leafs #2 Leetch jersey in case anyone wants to come say hello.

GoodNewfieBoy

We got a guy
Oct 17, 2007
Calgary
I honestly found it hard not to cry watching that team last night. God help me.

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Holland-Raymond
Kulemin-Kadri-Clarkson
Ashton-Mclement-Orr

Gardiner-Phaneuf
Reilly-Gunnarson
Fraser-Franson

Bernier

This would be my line-up, as worthless as my opinion is.

Go Leafs Go.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON

Yes. God yes. Him and Komarov.

Penalty Kill Icing*

Yes. God yes. Him and Komarov.

But.. But.. Grapes say Canadians are heart and soul players and Euros don't play with heart. Can't wait until Kulemin and Gunnarsson are shipped out so we can sign more hometown Clarksons to long term contracts. :yo:

Penalty Kill Icing*

Caps have no idea what is coming at them....

We are going to absolutely stomp the Caps. Euros like Ovechkin, Backstrom, Grabovski and Johansson are going to get their ***** spanked by the winnipeg bluebombers and warrior of the wounded water-bottle. Dion and Fraser are going to just crush the caps and even the puck.

Leafs are winning this 5-1. Bernier allows one in the last period for Caps so that they don't feel sorry about themselves.

Go Leafs Go Haters gonna Hate.

:yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad