Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Tampa Bay Lightning | Game #1 Tuesday @ 7:30pm | Legacy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Round One, Game One. Your Toronto Maple Leafs host the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Tonight, for the second year in a row, the virtuous and honourable Maple Leafs begin a series against the dirty and disgraceful Lightning in the first round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. While Cooper and Stamkos are busy complaining to the media about officiating, the Leafs are focused on the task at hand as they prepare to win the first playoff series since 2004.

30 years ago the Maple Leafs went on an unexpected and deep run that fell short thanks in no small part to shoddy officiating (the more things change eh). Those playoffs were the beginning of a run that saw the Leafs reach 4 Conference Finals in 12 years, have the fourth most playoff wins among NHL teams, and have the fifth most series wins among NHL teams. This current Leafs team is without a doubt the most talented and balanced in the Matthews era, and many of their players can draw parallels to former Leafs who were key in many deep runs. If these Leafs want to notch some series wins under their belts (preferably fouor) it won't hurt to draw upon the success and legacy of Leafs teams past.

(These aren't perfect comparisons, as Matthews really has no peer in Leafs history but Sundin is the closest, and Clark has no comparable on the current Leafs)

Lineup
:vhappy:Toronto Maple Leafs:hockey:

Michael Bunting
(Darcy Tucker)
Tucker-Bunting.jpg
Auston Matthews
(Mats Sundin)
Sundin-Matthews.jpg
Mitch Marner
(Doug Gilmour)
Gilmour-Marner.jpg
John Tavares
(Joe Nieuwendyk)
Nieuwendyk-Tavares.jpg
Ryan O'Reilly
(Gary Roberts)
Roberts-O'Reilly.jpg
William Nylander
(Alex Mogilny)
Mogilny-Nylander.jpg
Alex Kerfoot
(Steve Thomas)
Thomas_Kerfoot_2.jpg
Noel Acciari
(Shayne Corson)
Corson-Acciari.jpg
Calle Jarnkrok
(Sergei Berezin)
Berezin-Jarnkrok.jpg
Zach Aston-Reese
(Travis Green)
Green-AstonReese.jpg
David Kampf
(Peter Zezel)
Zezel-Kampf.jpg
Sam Lafferty
(Garry Valk)
Valk-Lafferty.jpg

Jake McCabe
(Bryan McCabe)
McCabe-McCabe.jpg
TJ Brodie
(Jamie Macoun)
Macoun-Brodie.jpg
Mark Giordano
(Brian Leetch)
Leetch-Giordano.jpg
Justin Holl
(Todd Gill)
Gill-Holl.jpg
Morgan Rielly
(Tomas Kaberle)
Kaberle-Rielly.jpg
Luke Schenn
(Wade Belak)
Belak-Schenn.jpg

Ilya Samsonov
(Curtis Joseph)
Joseph-Samsonov.jpg
Joseph Woll
(Felix Potvin)
Potvin-Woll.jpg

Lineup
:loony:Tampa Bay Lightning:thumbd:

Stamkos-Point-Kucherov
Hagel-Cirelli-Killorn
Colton-Paul-Eyssimont
Maroon-Bellemare-Perry

Hedman-Perbix
Sergachev-Raddysh
Cole-Cernak

Vasilevskiy
Elliott

-------------------------------------------------------------

:leafsGo Leafs Go:leafs

Maple_Leafs_Hype.jpg

Last edited:

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
It's finally here. What a long but fun season this was, team has grown a lot in many ways. The way they approached each game with defensive effort first, and the mentality of never quitting.

Lessons are over, time for the exam. Leafs in 4 GLG

• Haha
Reactions: HabbyGuy

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
That's not true. There are tons of Montreal Canadiens fans and they don't blame their failures on the officials.

Montreal just lost a Cup Final a couple of years back to Tampa Bay and nobody was complaining about the refs or calling the Lightning "dirty."

It's worth pointing out that 20 years ago, when the Leafs had Domi, Tucker, Corson, Roberts, et al Leaf fans didn't seem to have nearly as much of an issue with the referees or "dirty play."

Gee, I wonder why that is?

@FerrisRox

That’s BS. The only difference there are a few Leafs fans they tend to post a lot and very vocal on the main boards unlike Hab fans.

BTW … Love how on every post you always ingratiate yourself to non-leafs fans of the discussion pretending to be objective.

Edit: Wrong thread.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
It's finally here. What a long but fun season this was, team has grown a lot in many ways. The way they approached each game with defensive effort first, and the mentality of never quitting.

Lessons are over, time for the exam. Leafs in 4 GLG

Longest season in a while. Knowing your opponent in the playoffs since basically December is not fun. I imagine it was tough on the players as well knowing they have to ride it out and stay mentally focused for almost no reason. This was a weird one for sure.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Longest season in a while. Knowing your opponent in the playoffs since basically December is not fun. I imagine it was tough on the players as well knowing they have to ride it out and stay mentally focused for almost no reason. This was a weird one for sure.

The 2 teams have spent 4 months preparing for a single opponent.

Not because they want to focus on that one opponent, but because they knew the journey started there.

There is no good reason why the playoff picture should be set 4 months in advance.

It's stupid and demoralizing.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Yeah we all have. Since about Christmas.
Then everyone should be well-prepared.

The 2 teams have spent 4 months preparing for a single opponent.

Not because they want to focus on that one opponent, but because they knew the journey started there.

There is no good reason why the playoff picture should be set 4 months in advance.

It's stupid and demoralizing.
I agree. Bring back the 1-8 seeding. Maybe this matchup will make the league revisit this.

Good luck, tonight.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
You've gotta be rooting for us, right? Just think how fun our series would be!
I made the mistake of "wanting" the New York Giants when the Patriots were headed to Super Bowl XLII. Since that day I just accept who we get.

I'll give you this much: the 2013; 2018; and 2019 series are three of the best I've ever watched. The Leafs are going to beat the Bruins in the playoffs eventually, but I REALLY don't want it to be this year!

Tell you what... should the Bruins and the Maple Leafs both advance, track me down and we'll discuss it over some (virtual) beers. I'd definitely be down for that. Sound good to you?

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Then everyone should be well-prepared.

Not sure what else the Leafs can do at this point. Last few seasons the team has been honing playing a defense first system while still being able to generate offense. They've had incredible records when playing with the lead, they have been pushing to not quit no matter the refs, the score, the time on the clock. Real maturity from the core guys who went from soft as hell to resilient to the pressure.

Marner and Matthews have had to overcome being clowned on and the pressure of their play. First Marner after the Habs series had a terrible first month and people were ready to chase him out of town. Then Matthews wins the Hart and has a terrible 6 months.

They've learned to tune out the pressure, and IMO last series against the Bolts was the first time the team really honestly believed they would win. And I am of the opinion you need to lose when you consider yourself the better team to find a new level.

GLG

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
One team has virtually no pressure (TB). Even if they were swept, there would not be wholesale changes.

Toronto has all of the pressure. I believe they are the better team.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Should be a good series. Confident in the Leafs abilities and depth improvement but until they do it...well...then all that history hangs over their head. Time for Auston Matthews to make himself unstoppable and carry the team. He was good last year in R1, but needs to have the "Matthews" series like a lot of stars before him.

Tampa will be a tough out. Here's to no injuries.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
I made the mistake of "wanting" the New York Giants when the Patriots were headed to Super Bowl XLII. Since that day I just accept who we get.

I'll give you this much: the 2013; 2018; and 2019 series are three of the best I've ever watched. The Leafs are going to beat the Bruins in the playoffs eventually, but I REALLY don't want it to be this year!

Tell you what... should the Bruins and the Maple Leafs both advance, track me down and we'll discuss it over some (virtual) beers. I'd definitely be down for that. Sound good to you?

Sounds good!

If history is any indication, I think you're pretty safe in your hopes with respect to the Bruins.

Reactions: rfournier103
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad