News Article: Toronto Maple Leafs rebuild takes a bite out of Rogers’ bottom line

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
With every Canadian team doing poorly or just flat out disappointing their fanbases on a weekly basis...OFCOURSE ratings are going to drop. Have some winning seasons and you'll see an increase in viewership.

The reason you make big bucks as a television sports producer is because you are able to get people to watch when your on the field (ice) product is not doing that well. It is easy to get good ratings with a good team, as evidenced by last year's Blue Jays run. The challenge is to get people to watch when the team(s) suck. It can be done.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
The reason you make big bucks as a television sports producer is because you are able to get people to watch when your on the field (ice) product is not doing that well. It is easy to get good ratings with a good team, as evidenced by last year's Blue Jays run. The challenge is to get people to watch when the team(s) suck. It can be done.

I think Rogers could sell next years team pretty easily if we have Nylander, Marner, and the 2016 first round pick in the roster. People will want to see these kids grow and develop even if the team isn't so great.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
As the Leafs go so will ratings.

I don't think they will get back to pre Rogers numbers because of the shifts in technology, but they will go up.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
In this day and age of troubling times for the TV industry, you just can't sit back on your rear ends and hope the ratings will go up. You have to actually do something. I don't think the Rogers team is capable of doing that. Any bumps will be short lived if Leafs or Habs don't go deep into the post season. Getting people to watch is easy if you really are a television producer and not just a poser in a suit.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I think Rogers could sell next years team pretty easily if we have Nylander, Marner, and the 2016 first round pick in the roster. People will want to see these kids grow and develop even if the team isn't so great.

I find that hard to believe.

The poor ratings are really a function of the casual fans not tuning in for a variety of reasons. As in: the Leafs suck, the other Canadian teams suck, lack of compelling storylines, etc, etc.

I find it difficult to imagine a scenario that would see a big ratings bump for the Leafs because of Marner, Nylander and their first pick this year.

If they get the number one pick and land Matthews maybe, but even that is iffy. Matthews is obviously the headliner of this draft, but is he a guy that transcends the game and creates interest on his own? Like a Lemieux, Lindros or Crosby? I have my doubts.

People like you and me will tune in to see those players develop and debut, but we're already watching anyway. To make ratings go up, Rogers needs to get the eyeballs that aren't watching back in front of the TV. I find it difficult to imagine a few nice young players developing is a selling point that can move the needle.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
In this day and age of troubling times for the TV industry, you just can't sit back on your rear ends and hope the ratings will go up. You have to actually do something. I don't think the Rogers team is capable of doing that. Any bumps will be short lived if Leafs or Habs don't go deep into the post season. Getting people to watch is easy if you really are a television producer and not just a poser in a suit.

Like all the shows you have produced?

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I think hockey in general isn't as entertaining as it use to be. And I don't think the fighting or the goal-scoring will ever be back. The production? Makes me about as happy as seeing Gary Betman's smug little face.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
Is coach's corner still a thing? I never watch intermissions anymore but I used to love watching Don and Ron!

BWDude

Nov 13, 2015
I think hockey in general isn't as entertaining as it use to be. And I don't think the fighting or the goal-scoring will ever be back. The production? Makes me about as happy as seeing Gary Betman's smug little face.

Are you a Leafs fan, because if you are its probably because we haven't been winning recently. Did you remember the Boston series, that was incredibly entertaining and it wasn't even that high pressured. That two weeks were insanely hype in Toronto, imagine a 2nd, 3rd or *knock on wood* a final.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Are you a Leafs fan, because if you are its probably because we haven't been winning recently. Did you remember the Boston series, that was incredibly entertaining and it wasn't even that high pressured. That two weeks were insanely hype in Toronto, imagine a 2nd, 3rd or *knock on wood* a final.

Success leafs to increased excitement and attention - Leafs will win back the spotlight from the Jays andRaptors once they start to be competitive

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Maybe ask your executive buddies how well the loss of the rights went over at the top of the organization. Do your friends know Phil King, how did he fare?

Considering Bell had its best financial year ever last year, I'd wager a guess they are doing fine.

This article explains why King is leaving, sounds like it has more to do with someone wanting to pick their own team than it has something to do specifically with the NHL rights.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...hil-king-to-leave-bell-media/article26079594/

You also need to consider/understand that Bell was never going to pay what Rogers paid for the NHL rights. If a competitor foolishly bids on something that puts them at a competitive disadvantage, why would you out bid them? It makes no sense. 10% margin? Bells worst performing unit is more than double that ROI.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

The poor ratings are really a function of the casual fans not tuning in for a variety of reasons. As in: the Leafs suck, the other Canadian teams suck, lack of compelling storylines, etc, etc.

I find it difficult to imagine a scenario that would see a big ratings bump for the Leafs because of Marner, Nylander and their first pick this year.

If they get the number one pick and land Matthews maybe, but even that is iffy. Matthews is obviously the headliner of this draft, but is he a guy that transcends the game and creates interest on his own? Like a Lemieux, Lindros or Crosby? I have my doubts.

People like you and me will tune in to see those players develop and debut, but we're already watching anyway. To make ratings go up, Rogers needs to get the eyeballs that aren't watching back in front of the TV. I find it difficult to imagine a few nice young players developing is a selling point that can move the needle.

I think you are spot on with some of your points.

I think Rogers miscalculated today viewers tolerance for poor content. Rogers looked at ratings 5 years ago and thought it could only continue to trend up.

I think they failed to acknowledge that the viewers of today have far more "instant" distractions than they did 10 years ago, and even 5 years ago. Netflix is avail at the touch of button, Xbox and PS4 have far better streaming options (movies, DL content,ect), many more people have cut the cord recently than 5 - 10 years ago. Gone are the days where you had a captive audience, Rogers needs to consider they are entering a new era in sports broadcasting and perhaps the viewership of 4 years ago, is just not a realistic number in today ever evolving audience.

Are you going to watch a poor Leafs/Habs/Flames/Canucks/Jets/Sens for 2.5 hours or are you going to order a great movie on demand? Once you've established a routine of alternate viewing are you going to come back when the teams are better?

Rogers clearly over valued the product and over estimated their revenues. I don't see better products (teams) in the future saving the NHL deal. I could be wrong, only time will tell.

Cmillz

Jun 25, 2009
The new format, even with all the bells and whistles in the studio, just doesn't compare to the HNIC broadcasts that were produced by CBC. The guys that Sportsnet added to HNIC look like amateurs compared to the CBC crew.

100% agree.

The product Rogers is putting out is terrible.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014

I would say Harold Ballard's Leafs were more entertaining. With the internet today, you can quickly get information, replays, etc. I think the game use to be a much more emotional roller-coaster, one that would pull me right out of my chair. Now I could watch an entire game and not change the expression on my face once.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton

I have a feeling he meant Leaf fans across the county when hes says People.

I'd want to watch Soshnikov/Hyman/Marner/Nylander/(possible) Matthews/(possible) Stamkos etc see what they can do. It would sure as hell beat watching Grabner/Parenteau etc.

I dont think I watched a full game this year because I knew we would struggle with those two names I mentioned above. Im not expecting playoffs with this team even if we did get Stamkos. But I sure as hell would sit and watch this team no matter what with that lineup.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
100% agree.

The product Rogers is putting out is terrible.

I think they need to put Strombo on the road trips from small town to small town for the Sunday night hockey game and keep Maclean back in the studios.

No need to watch Strombo play with a hockey stick and try to stick handle around 4 other actual hockey guys. Oh and we dont care that you grew up a Habs fan.

Also bring back Satellite Hotstove. Need more guys than just Cox and Friedman, I can listen to Friedman all day but Cox I really wonder where he gets his stories from

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Did they think HNIC would survive... I havent watched that **** all year lol

Its an absolutely awful product, as is hockey on Sportsnet.............. #FreeTSN

Oh God. This. So much this.

Every single anchorperson on there seems to have... I don't know, a je ne sais quoi of slow speech or something. I just can't watch it for more than a few mins and I actually get a bit nauseated.

I'm not one to make general statements but Rogers needs to fire literally every anchorperson and just buy up TSN.

I would love that.

Also, I cannot stand Strombolopoulos on HNiC. He doesn't do anything of what made him such a hit (in-depth interviews...) he's got a talen and it's going to complete waste. I can only assume he's being paid boatloads of money there, otherwise does he not recognize it too?

The only competent person working for Sportsnet right now is Friedman.

There, that's what needs to happen. Buy TSN, fire Dreger, keep Friedman, done deal.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Considering Bell had its best financial year ever last year, I'd wager a guess they are doing fine.

This article explains why King is leaving, sounds like it has more to do with someone wanting to pick their own team than it has something to do specifically with the NHL rights.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...hil-king-to-leave-bell-media/article26079594/

You also need to consider/understand that Bell was never going to pay what Rogers paid for the NHL rights. If a competitor foolishly bids on something that puts them at a competitive disadvantage, why would you out bid them? It makes no sense. 10% margin? Bells worst performing unit is more than double that ROI.

Funny, the CEO of the company was pretty bullish on content being vital to the media business. But hey, what do I know? You're buddies have the scoopz.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I think the article's title is a bit misleading. If anything Montreal is the real **** up here. Of all the teams they should've been capable of making the playoffs.

Honourable mentions to Calgary and Ottawa.

That being said, I am going to guarantee that this "No Canadian team" playoffs isn't repeating next year, so it's not like these lower ratings will be a concern moving forward.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Funny, the CEO of the company was pretty bullish on content being vital to the media business. But hey, what do I know? You're buddies have the scoopz.

You seem to think that means content at all costs, you ignore the fact that Rogers paid a record dollar amount for a product that is only getting a 10% return, if Bell decided to beat that and with their financial war chest they could have easily beat Rogers bid, the return would have been less than 10%. A 10% return for those two companies is absolutely pitiful.

Content with a reasonable ROI is vital, content at any cost is business suicide.

SoVi3t

Sep 16, 2009
I have to wonder how much people watching the game through online streams, is affecting their bottom line.

I cut the cord years ago, and just stream everything. HNIC, Sportsnet, CBC, Leafs TV, it got too confusing trying to figure out which channel a game would be on, then deal with broadcasters you didn't like at all.

Now I just go to one website, watch the game, no commercials.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I have to wonder how much people watching the game through online streams, is affecting their bottom line.

I cut the cord years ago, and just stream everything. HNIC, Sportsnet, CBC, Leafs TV, it got too confusing trying to figure out which channel a game would be on, then deal with broadcasters you didn't like at all.

Now I just go to one website, watch the game, no commercials.

The cutting the cord could absolutely be part of the decline in viewership. I'm not sure if they include Game center /Center Ice numbers in their viewer numbers. It would make sense to but they might have a different formula for calculating viewers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad