Toronto Maple Leafs Mid Season Prospect Rankings #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikebel111*

This is exactly why Matt Finn was so highly ranked by our fans like 2 years ago. People said the same about him.

Brown's obviously a good prospect, and has a great chance to make it, but he's not top 3 at least imo.

I was a big Finn fan. However there is a big time difference. Brown has shown he can play in the AHL at a high level. Finn has trouble sticking in the AHL.
The scenarios are different

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
Has Matt Finn dominated a men's league?

No he hasn't - Though Connor Brown has yet to reach PPG in the AHL himself (something that is done every year by multiple players) so I would argue he also hasn't "dominated" a men's league - though he has looked very good.

My only point is that "beating detractors" in the past is not indicative of future success. Nor should it be considered as evidence for someone being considered a top 3 prospect.

We all love a warrior, a heart and soul guy, and an underdog. But every team has one or many. Brown was a 6th round pick who has beaten the odds for that round. Yes he has progressed very well, but if he were a 1st rounder -who is still in the AHL - maybe we wouldn't be so high on him, as seen many times in the past.

I love the kid, don't get me wrong, but this board has a tendency to vote with their heart for those they like ... take a look at past year polls and see how well we call it.

I was a big Finn fan. However there is a big time difference. Brown has shown he can play in the AHL at a high level. Finn has trouble sticking in the AHL.
The scenarios are different

Absolutely mike, Brown is a way better prospect than Finn was, to that we will agree. I'm only saying that we shouldn't take "proving everyone wrong" into account.

mikebel111*

No he hasn't - Though Connor Brown has yet to reach PPG in the AHL himself (something that is done every year by multiple players) so I would argue he also hasn't "dominated" a men's league - though he has looked very good.

My only point is that "beating detractors" in the past is not indicative of future success. Nor should it be considered as evidence for someone being considered a top 3 prospect.

We all love a warrior, a heart and soul guy, and an underdog. But every team has one or many. Brown was a 6th round pick who has beaten the odds for that round. Yes he has progressed very well, but if he were a 1st rounder -who is still in the AHL - maybe we wouldn't be so high on him, as seen many times in the past.

I love the kid, don't get me wrong, but this board has a tendency to vote with their heart for those they like ... take a look at past year polls and see how well we call it.

Absolutely mike, Brown is a way better prospect than Finn was, to that we will agree. I'm only saying that we shouldn't take "beating the odds" into account.

Yeah Brown still has to prove himself in the NHL, but the promise is there

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
I went with Kap on this one (Thought he should've gone #3 as well).

Surprised Bracco isn't getting any love. Kind of funny that our fifth round pick is getting more love than both our second round picks. :laugh:

Its only because Brown is much older and farther along in his development.

mikebel111*

I definitely hope so - and believe so as well. I just think Kapanen should have gone 3rd lol.

Yeah I could see the argument for Kapi at 3rd. I was considering Kapi in that spot. I put Brown because of his play in the AHL, but I think its close.
Hey look we agreed on something. Maybe we just shouldnt talk about Kadri with each other;)

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
hi-res-0a405c328be760b671f030f968b93725_crop_north.jpg

Kappy can't hear you over the hardware.

Did you not watch the WJC? It's not as if Kap was awful the whole tournament and then just scored a fluke GWG.

Also saying "OTHER than scoring the GWG in his home country to win WJC Gold, what has he ever done?" is pretty funny.

I take Brown's individual success in the OHL and AHL over Kapanen piggybacking Puljujarvi and Laine's hardwork.

mikebel111*

I take Brown's individual success in the OHL and AHL over Kapanen piggybacking Puljujarvi and Laine's hardwork.

IMO your a little harsh on Kapanen. I have brown higher but that's because Brown at this moment has proven more

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Kap has a higher ceiling than Brown, but Brown's performance in the AHL so far gives him the edge. I have Kap over Brown but I can certainly see the argument. It's basically a coin flip.

Brown blew expectations for his rookie AHL season out of the water last year for a 6th round pick. 61 points in 76 games is damn awesome for that. And he has a no quite attitude - he'll be an NHLer in some capacity.

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
Next poll I'm torn between Johnson, tymashov, and Nielsen.
I'm probably higher on Nielsen then most but when I see him play live he seems to dominate.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario

Absolutely mike, Brown is a way better prospect than Finn was, to that we will agree. I'm only saying that we shouldn't take "proving everyone wrong" into account.

Brown was league leader in points in his last year in the OHL. He lead the AHL in rookie scoring last year. This year he's been injured for a lot of it.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I went with Kap on this one (Thought he should've gone #3 as well).

Surprised Bracco isn't getting any love. Kind of funny that our fifth round pick is getting more love than both our second round picks. :laugh:

That Nitro Mysteron article did wonders for his rep

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
This is exactly why Matt Finn was so highly ranked by our fans like 2 years ago. People said the same about him.

Brown's obviously a good prospect, and has a great chance to make it, but he's not top 3 at least imo.

And then Finn fell off a cliff. His performance has precisely nothing to do with Brown.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
In my mind Dermott is a better defenseman than Nielsen, and TD rounds out the top 5 for me. Nielsen is #8 after Timashov at #7 in my opinion.

The value we got out of the 2015 draft looks insane so far.

Dermott is the better player AINEC IMO

Team Canada agrees.

I think Dermott should be battling Kapanen for this spot.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
This has the feel of 3 tiers to me. Nylander/Marner, once the first one was over the 2nd was gonna be a landslide. Brown/Kapanen, once 3 as over 4 was gonna be a landslide.

5-7 feels like Johnson, Dermott, and Timashov to me, I think Nielsen will be after that and then 9 onward it's anyones guess.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
The "kids playing a leading role for the marlies" part is kind of misleading considering both Brennan and Arbobello are currently the highest scoring marlies.

It didn't say that the veterans aren't contributing squat and the kids are 1-10 in all offensive stat lines.

Besides Brennan scoring a ton of points, he's been far from our best defenceman.

I agree with the statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad