Toronto Maple Leafs Mid Season Prospect Rankings #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
I found it very difficult to choose. I went with Nylander primarily based on his success at a higher level of hockey, but if someone else thinks it's Marner I have no problem with that.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
None of these guys have played in the NHL so I see this poll as a measure of future POTENTIAL.

You can't penalize Marner because he is one year younger ... or that he can't play in the AHL.
So I picked Marner ... he has more risk, but has a higher ceiling.

What you can take into consideration is that Willy blew all expectations out of the water this year. He is having a superb season.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
It's not that the AHL performance carries such weight. Nylander - who is younger than most in the AHL - was leading it in points b4 injury. Brown is 22. Marner, who is older than many in the OHL isn't and hasn't been #1 in points in that league. That is a valid point to take into consideration. He's clearly #2. That being said Brown has done great in the AHL but there is also 2 years difference to Nylander. You could also say Marner's WJC outing wasn't that best - which plays a factor in my voting.

I was happier with how the WJC turned out for Marner rather than for Nylander.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Chose Nylander because he's proven more. Really tough to predict who'll be better it's so close, so it went with Nylander for that reason.

We're just over the half way point of the season, I figured it was a good time to look towards the only bright part of being a Leafs fan, the future. So lets re-rank our prospects, I figured we'd do top 20, although we can do more or less if the majority would rather.

I didn't include goaltenders, since it's always difficult to rank them with skaters. If everyone would rather have the goalies included, mention it and I can include them in future polls. Also, if there is a prospect not on the poll that you would like to see included next time, mention them and if there is enough demand I will include them in future polls.

I'd include the goalies, they're prospects too, just because they're tougher to rank correctly shouldn't mean anything, people will still have their opinions, they'll just vary a little more. I think they should be included.

Last time they did this they had picks in there as well. Not saying we need them, I'd probably rather not include them.

No, that was the asset ranking. That one included current players, prospect and picks. This is the prospect ranking, and thus wouldn't include players who have been NHLers for a fair amount of time or picks.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Took Marner, but it's really close with him and Nylander. I don't think the disparity in this poll is indicative of the actual separation between the two.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Marner is incredible. But I just can't explain Nylander. Whenever there's an expectation put on him, he just goes out there and completely blows it out of the water. He's the kind of player that becomes your teams best player for a decade.

They're gonna be so awesome together. For now, I'll take Nylander first. He just has that thing about him.

I know there will be a lot of good rookies next year, but I'll go ahead and call it now, Nylander will win the calder next year (granted he's healthy).

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Nylander is clear number 1, Marner is clearly number 2. What Nylander has done at his age in a pro league is outstanding and has surpassed expectations. Marner is more or less doing what we expected of him. He'd never be able to pass Nylander this year simply because he's doing it at the junior level. Both are great prospects, obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad