Toronto Maple Leafs Mid Season Prospect Rankings #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
We're just over the half way point of the season, I figured it was a good time to look towards the only bright part of being a Leafs fan, the future. So lets re-rank our prospects, I figured we'd do top 20, although we can do more or less if the majority would rather.

I didn't include goaltenders, since it's always difficult to rank them with skaters. If everyone would rather have the goalies included, mention it and I can include them in future polls. Also, if there is a prospect not on the poll that you would like to see included next time, mention them and if there is enough demand I will include them in future polls.

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
So tough to chose between Marner and Nylander. I'll go with Nylander only because of his domination of the AHL as a 19 year old.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
We're just over the half way point of the season, I figured it was a good time to look towards the only bright part of being a Leafs fan, the future. So lets re-rank our prospects, I figured we'd do top 20, although we can do more or less if the majority would rather.

I didn't include goaltenders, since it's always difficult to rank them with skaters. If everyone would rather have the goalies included, mention it and I can include them in future polls. Also, if there is a prospect not on the poll that you would like to see included next time, mention them and if there is enough demand I will include them in future polls.

Last time they did this they had picks in there as well. Not saying we need them, I'd probably rather not include them.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
Last time they did this they had picks in there as well. Not saying we need them, I'd probably rather not include them.

Unless the majority of people want them in there I probably won't include them. So much uncertainty with where the picks will land, especially with the draft lottery for the top 3 picks. If we end up at #1, of course that would be our best prospect, but lets say we end up at #5 or #6, would whoever we get there be better than Nylander and Marner? Harder to say then.

As for this poll, I went with Nylander. Hard to choose between Willie and Marner but it's just too hard to ignore what Nylander has done in the AHL this season, which isn't to say that what Marner has done in the OHL isn't amazing.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
im really surprised nylander is winning 12-0. (i voted him too but i thought it was close)

fify

If we could vote for more than one, (say 3), then we would probably see Marner up there too..

How I rank the top 10

1. William Nylander 12 100.00%
2. Mitch Marner 0 0%
3. Nikita Soshnikov 0 0%
4. Dmytro Timashov 0 0%
5. Kasperi Kapanen 0 0%
6. Connor Brown 0 0%
7. Josh Leivo 0 0%
8. Rinat Valiev 0 0%
9. Andreas Johnson 0 0%
10. Jeremy Bracco 0 0%

I don't know much about the rest:

Brendan Leipsic 0 0%
Travis Dermott 0 0%
Stuart Percy 0 0%
Scott Harrington 0 0%
Frederik Gauthier 0 0%
Zach Hyman 0 0%
Viktor Loov 0 0%
Sam Carrick 0 0%
Jesper Lindgren 0 0%
Andrew Nielsen

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Is this how the Prospect is doing today or how he's projected to do down the road?

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I picked Nylander without hesitation. When you evaluate i figure the Ahl player dominating that league is a clear cut advantage.

Marner will get 2nd at this point.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
I went with Kapanen since he'll be the one scoring the Game 7 OT winner in the 2017 Cup Finals

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Nylander by a landslide.

Although Zaitsev isn't on the list (he should be IMO even without a "formal" contract).

I think he would get my vote instead of Willie.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
fify

If we could vote for more than one, (say 3), then we would probably see Marner up there too..

How I rank the top 10

1. William Nylander 12 100.00%
2. Mitch Marner 0 0%
3. Nikita Soshnikov 0 0%
4. Dmytro Timashov 0 0%
5. Kasperi Kapanen 0 0%
6. Connor Brown 0 0%
7. Josh Leivo 0 0%
8. Rinat Valiev 0 0%
9. Andreas Johnson 0 0%
10. Jeremy Bracco 0 0%

I don't know much about the rest:

Brendan Leipsic 0 0%
Travis Dermott 0 0%
Stuart Percy 0 0%
Scott Harrington 0 0%
Frederik Gauthier 0 0%
Zach Hyman 0 0%
Viktor Loov 0 0%
Sam Carrick 0 0%
Jesper Lindgren 0 0%
Andrew Nielsen

Think Johnson and Kapanen should be ahead of Timashov. But agree with the rest.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Nylander is more proven at professional levels, potential seems just as high, he's got a solid ~25lbs on top of Marner, and seems the more likely of the two to become a centre.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Nylander by a landslide.

Although Zaitsev isn't on the list (he should be IMO even without a "formal" contract).

I think he would get my vote instead of Willie.

No way. He's arguably more NHL ready, but he's not close to Willie's upside. Like not even close at all

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
None of these guys have played in the NHL so I see this poll as a measure of future POTENTIAL.

You can't penalize Marner because he is one year younger ... or that he can't play in the AHL.
So I picked Marner ... he has more risk, but has a higher ceiling.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
None of these guys have played in the NHL so I see this poll as a measure of future POTENTIAL.

You can't penalize Marner because he is one year younger ... or that he can't play in the AHL.
So I picked Marner ... he has more risk, but has a higher ceiling.

Not to get into semantics but Leivo and Percy actually have played in the bigs. :naughty:

I do wholeheartedly agree with your second statement and voted accordingly.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
So tough to chose between Marner and Nylander. I'll go with Nylander only because of his domination of the AHL as a 19 year old.

This.

So far Nylander is ahead since he is one your older and has proven more playing against men. But I cant really separate the two long term.

I really believe we have 2 players in the Tavares/Giroux/Kane mould, both style wise, talent wise and potential.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
love mitch, but will ny is just on another planet right now in terms of where he is in his development

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad