Toronto Maple Leafs GM and AGM Resign

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Unfortunately I have to pass on some sad news to you guys today.

Abbas Chagani and Adil Jaffer are stepping down as the management team behind the Toronto Maple Leafs. Two of the most tenured GM's in the league, neither feel like they have the time to dedicate to the league any longer. This is a big loss for the league and they will be missed. I am sure both will chime in further in this thread.

As a result of this, we are actually giving Brad Palmer the Toronto organization (and not the previously announced Montreal Canadiens) because of his vast experience in SIM leagues. We will then try to hire a new Montreal GM sometime this week before the draft.

Brad Palmer

Sep 21, 2012
As a lifelong Leaf fan I am ecstatic with this last-minute change. So excited to take the helm of the Leafs.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
I'm sad to see Abbas and Adil go but as someone with an 8-month-old it's easy to see how life can take time away from these things. I hope one or both of them can return one day.

In the mean time, congrats to Brad and see you at the draft.

Mike McEwan- LA Kings

Reactions: MatthewFlames

Toronto_AGM_Adil

Apr 9, 2006
Dear fellow HFNHLers,

It’s a sad day for Abbas and I, for today we walk away from a league that has meant so much to us over the years. It was with a lot of introspection and internal debate that we came to this decision. Over the last few years the added responsibility of work and kids (5 between the two of us) Its just been too hard to put in the level of commitment that the league deserves. Nowhere on the internet can you find such an awesome group of guys... and it’s hard for us to cash in our chips and give up our seat at the table.

We’ve put a lot with into the Leafs and the Leafs have given us a lot in return. We've had countless hours of enjoyment taking the leafs to the spot they are at today, but it’s time that we give them up to someone else. Hopefully the next GM(s) can put in the love and attention the Leafs deserve... I’d have to say that’s always been our biggest concern in leaving.

The Leafs have been a lot of fun these past 13 years.... looking back I remember the big draft days including moving up to steal Oliver Eckman Larson, grabbing John Carlson in the late first round and drafting RNH first overall. We had a blast doing trades with special thanks to Doug for both Corey Crawford and Ryan McDonagh :) And let’s not forget free agency, where we landed some big contracts like Sundin and Hossa , or lucking out with blue birds like Bozak and Niemi.

I’d say we had some good success... doing well in the playoffs as well as one Stanley cup win. For us it’s always been a numbers game... where we have tried to play the game like money ball. A lot of GMs focus on acquiring players based on performance, we’ve focused on statistics and how to get value for our cap dollars. That rough strategy has served us well and I’d tell any new GM to look at our record and think twice before dismissing that strategy.

In 2005, when we started, we didn’t have much except a couple of veteran players (Kozlov and Vokoun) and a lot of cap space. We traded the veterans, drafted Staal 3rd overall and spent big in free agency (I’m sure everyone thought we were crazy). But that was always our MO, invest in free agency as much as we invest in the draft. We stayed away from the idea that you have to tank to eventually win... the more you win the more money you make and the more money you make the more assets you can buy in free agency. The more assets you acquire the more you can trade and flip to build.

Both of us would like to thank everyone in the league who has put so much energy into making this one of the best places on the internet. Please don’t take our leaving as any sort of criticism on the league, it’s just time for us to take a break. We’ve done all we can with the Leafs and it’s time to give someone else a turn at the reins.

Finally, I like to think that someday we’d have the time to come back, preferably when the kids are a bit older and life is a bit calmer. So maybe this is more of a see you in a bit then a goodbye. Until then, so long and thanks for al the trades....

Adil and Abbas

Regal Beagles

Feb 28, 2013
Great post. Thanks for everything guys! Except for refusing to trade me RNH and Panarin on several occasions.

Roy

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Adil and Abbas, thank you for all your friendship and great stewardship of the worst franchise you could really have, except the Oilers and Canucks, of course. You will be missed

Reactions: Fooladelfia

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Haha, it was my pleasure to serve, gentlemen! I always was better at drafting players than keeping them...

We look forward to having you back when the currents of life calm down.

Go Leafs!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad