News Article: Toronto Maple Leafs confident they’re on the right track despite ‘growing pains’

mikebel111*

They are on the right track. I can actually watch a game now instead of turning off the tv. They are playing with effort which is refreshing to see. This wasn't visible for the last few years.
The lack of scoring is starting to catch up to them lately though this was expected.
Babcock has done a tremendous job so far. He has raised the confidence of the players in the room.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
They never quit and the effort is always on par. They just can't score.

Look at our key young guys... Rielly looking like a top pairing Dman, Kadri becoming a 2 way center, Gardiner looking poised and composed. JVR feels really comfortable in the situation on a team lacking offense.

The prospects are looking great.. we're in a position to have a top pick and another good 1st in a pretty deep draft... It's early but I would definitely consider this year a good step forward.

Last edited:

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
I agree that they're on track. Just looking at a stat like the +/- one, and you already see a big improvement there.

What we're lacking is scoring. We need offensive talent. Look at a team like Buffalo. They were slated to be a really good team this year, with all the additions they picked up (O'Reilly, Eichel, etc.). Now yes, they are generating more offense than we are, but they're like the Leafs of previous seasons. Scoring goals, but horrid +/-.

I think we have something like the 2nd most OT losses in the league. That right there shows that even if we're not pulling off wins, we're keeping the games close, which is really the best we can hope for right now.

The Shanaplan seems to be working. Babs is implementing a system that works. We just need to add some components to it to really make it shine.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
At least the team isn't completely embarrassing themselves. Last year was some of the most pathetic hockey I've ever witnessed.

Hopefully the process keeps going and we get rewarded for this awful hockey though.

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
It's hard these days when you take over as a new GM because with the cap there are limitations to what you can to change the culture on a team

I think they were lucky to get rid of Kessel but contracts like Phaneuf and Lupul are harder to move

That's all thanks to Nonis

Lou and the current team are just starting to change the culture - most of these players we're watching now won't be around in 5 years or so when this team may very well be an actual contender to win the cup

They have the best coach now but little skill on the roster. With time this is going to be pretty amazing to watch.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
They're definitely on the right track. You have people that are too fixated on the standings, but was time ever promised to be something special? At least they're playing much better hockey, despite the talent.

Take a look at this massive improvement

2014/2015 (Up until Carlyle was fired, 40 game mark)
Scoring chances- -259
High Danger Chances- -110

2013/2014
Scoring Chances=-541
High Danger Scoring Chances= -239

2012/2013(Lockout Season 48 games)
Scoring Chances=-210
High Danger Scoring Chances= -84

2011/2012(When he took over for Wilson, 18 games)
Scoring Chances= -51
High Danger Chances= -17

This guy was garbage tier, and should make all people that think THEY have a bad coach reconsider. Those numbers were all league worsts...

If anyone is curious, this year under Babcock:

Scoring Chances= +18
High Scoring Chances=+41
^ With a worse team

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
They are losing differently this year.

Their style is one Lemaire would use like the expansion team Wild that also wasn't a good team.

I'm sure they could score more goals if they opened it up, and I'm sure the Leafs could have been better defensively with Carlyle if they clamped it down.

Really, the hope isn't Babcock is going to make crappy players into winners, the hope is they've drafted skilled players for Babcock to utilize in making a better team.

Lots of very good teams exist around the league that do not have Babcock as their coach.

Detroit has not won a Cup since 2008 and they just happened to have perhaps the 2nd. - 3rd. best defenseman of all time in their line up, along with prime aged Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Babcock is just an excellent coach, not a miracle worker.

I'm confident they are currently looking like they might be on the right track on the Marlies, and with some draft picks.

I don't see anything on the bottom feeding Leafs that makes me go wow, they are really headed in the right direction.

As I said, a different style of losing.

But I'm looking forward to seeing some talent come into the line-up as early as this year now that the season is toast.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
It has been harder to watch this team since the offense dried up after JVR's injury, but there's no question that Babcock is laying the groundwork for a blueprint to success once there is more talent at his disposal.

Last edited:

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
It has been harder to watch this team since the offense dried up after JVR's injury, but there's no question that Babcock is laying the groundwork for a blueprint to success once their is more talent at his disposal.

And that is coming as early as next season. Nylander, Marner, and one of Matthews/Puju/Laine will likely be on the big club next season.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Doubt Marner is...

And that is coming as early as next season. Nylander, Marner, and one of Matthews/Puju/Laine will likely be on the big club next season.

Brown,Leivo,Nylander and maybe Kappanen will get shots first.It seems Marner didn't have his growth spurt yet and size/muscle is his issue.Not sure his game works in the NHL without it.

"He just needs more size." -- Hunter

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Brown,Leivo,Nylander and maybe Kappanen will get shots first.It seems Marner didn't have his growth spurt yet and size/muscle is his issue.Not sure his game works in the NHL without it.

I don't think he needs more size I just think he needs to be a little stronger to absorb the NHL game.

His biggest comparison has always been Patrick Kane..

Marner is listed at 5'11" 160lbs
Kane was drafted at 5'10 162lbs

He stepped in to put up 21G 51A in his first season.

Yes Kane is listed at 177lbs now and that will come in time as Marner matures I just think he just has to be physically able to endure 82 games a season.

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009

He's going to make the team next season. No way they're keeping him in the O for year another season after this one.

While he may be lacking in some muscle, his iq and agility will likely keep him safe from the bigger nhl players until he fills out a bit more.

Patrick Kane had an awesome first season in the NHL, while being roughly the same size as Marner. No reason to believe Marner can't have a good first stint in the NHL as well.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Patrick Kane has a completely different build from the buckles down. Very thick legs.

Poor Marner has scarecrow legs with pasta calves. Incredible actually how well he moves as it is.

Can that be thickened up? Yeah, but slowly. You try to put meat on a spaghetti calf and its prone to cramps. Its a really,, really tough muscle area to deal with.

No more comparisons to Kane, totally different body type. I love Marner don't get me wrong, but he is not built, nor plays like Kane.

Marner works way harder than Kane does, to try and produce the same results.

Kane is like the best shark in the game right now. No excess movement, just gliding in and out danger zones, ready for the kill.

Marner? Heck, the guy is like a jitterbug, possibly more entertaining than just about anyone. but I don't know how that will translate to the NHL. He might get crushed doing it.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
It looks like they're on the right track but I just have trouble watching the team right now - guys that should be traded (Lupul, Bozak, Phaneuf, Polak) and a bunch of temporary fill-ins.

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
Patrick Kane has a completely different build from the buckles down. Very thick legs.

Poor Marner has scarecrow legs with pasta calves. Incredible actually how well he moves as it is.

Can that be thickened up? Yeah, but slowly. You try to put meat on a spaghetti calf and its prone to cramps. Its a really,, really tough muscle area to deal with.

No more comparisons to Kane, totally different body type. I love Marner don't get me wrong, but he is not built, nor plays like Kane.

Marner works way harder than Kane does, to try and produce the same results.

Kane is like the best shark in the game right now. No excess movement, just gliding in and out danger zones, ready for the kill.

Marner? Heck, the guy is like a jitterbug, possibly more entertaining than just about anyone. but I don't know how that will translate to the NHL. He might get crushed doing it.

Spaghetti calves? Have you ever skated before? That's one of the first places that gets stressed hard while skating. There's no way he can perform at the level he's at with weak calves. Furthermore, it's not hard to strengthen calves. They're not nearly as finnicky as something like hamstrings. If cramping is an issue, it's due to a potassium deficiency. I have no clue where you got this idea that calves are somehow a difficult muscle group to train.

As far as legs go? Ummm... squats? Two months of heavy lifting during the summer would add a good deal of mass and strength to the quads and glutes. Just eat a lot of carbs, and get some protein in. He's not going to be NHL-sized right away, but the skill is more than there.

And yes, Kane is a comparable. Their style of play is very similar.

I don't understand how people think he's going to get "crushed" right away. I mean, someone like McDavid was out due to injury for how long now? Yes it was a dirty play, but he was considered NHL-ready in terms of size, and size doesn't always save you from injury.

Marner has had no qualms throwing his weight around against anyone so far. This idea that he has to stay in the OHL until he's like 180+ lbs. is preposterous. He's already bulked up a bit since last season, and he'll likely bulk up a bit again this off-season too.

You don't keep a talent like him down due to a minor deficiency in muscle mass.

TeamBester

Debunked
Feb 15, 2010
Kingston, Ontario
917095_1280x720.jpg

sooooooooooooo thick :laugh:

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Spaghetti calves? Have you ever skated before? That's one of the first places that gets stressed hard while skating. There's no way he can perform at the level he's at with weak calves. Furthermore, it's not hard to strengthen calves. They're not nearly as finnicky as something like hamstrings. If cramping is an issue, it's due to a potassium deficiency. I have no clue where you got this idea that calves are somehow a difficult muscle group to train.

As far as legs go? Ummm... squats? Two months of heavy lifting during the summer would add a good deal of mass and strength to the quads and glutes. Just eat a lot of carbs, and get some protein in. He's not going to be NHL-sized right away, but the skill is more than there.

And yes, Kane is a comparable. Their style of play is very similar.

I don't understand how people think he's going to get "crushed" right away. I mean, someone like McDavid was out due to injury for how long now? Yes it was a dirty play, but he was considered NHL-ready in terms of size, and size doesn't always save you from injury.

Marner has had no qualms throwing his weight around against anyone so far. This idea that he has to stay in the OHL until he's like 180+ lbs. is preposterous. He's already bulked up a bit since last season, and he'll likely bulk up a bit again this off-season too.

You don't keep a talent like him down due to a minor deficiency in muscle mass.

Dude, I was a pro athlete and I trained pro athletes. Long long long long post, but you said nothing of substance. Kane has a great pair of upper and lower legs. Marner is a parakeet.

Don't compare these two, there is no comparison whatsoever.

Same for Gilmour whom I have met many, many times. Sure he was short, but he was huge in every respect. Big hands, big thighs, calves, feet, etc...

Gilmour was just short, but big all around. same for Kane, Kane is big, perfectly built, Marner, Kadri and others are small in the essential areas.

Nylander? Much bigger in the key areas than Marner.

Marner is a potential best ever pick for the Leafs, but Hunter and other insiders know, he could, he might, be a massive bust, cause he has Luke Schenn physical deficiencies. The calves. Those spaghetti calves.

Bring out the pics of Marner last year with Casey Bailery, Bracco and Marner. No question, those are pasta calves.

Great talent, huge talent, but those calves.............

We might just be talking about Timashov re: that draft.

LegitTrenbolone

Apr 28, 2014
Only on a hockey forum have I seen people argue calves are the most important muscle for an athlete.

Having calf muscles is far from being a major key.

Plus, NHL athletes aren't really that impressive. Marner should be fine in the NHL next year. I've met Lucic, Iginla, and most of the bruin players. Not big per se.

IMO

OvenMittz*

Dude, I was a pro athlete and I trained pro athletes. Long long long long post, but you said nothing of substance. Kane has a great pair of upper and lower legs. Marner is a parakeet.

Don't compare these two, there is no comparison whatsoever.

Same for Gilmour whom I have met many, many times. Sure he was short, but he was huge in every respect. Big hands, big thighs, calves, feet, etc...

Gilmour was just short, but big all around. same for Kane, Kane is big, perfectly built, Marner, Kadri and others are small in the essential areas.

Nylander? Much bigger in the key areas than Marner.

Marner is a potential best ever pick for the Leafs, but Hunter and other insiders know, he could, he might, be a massive bust, cause he has Luke Schenn physical deficiencies. The calves. Those spaghetti calves.

Bring out the pics of Marner last year with Casey Bailery, Bracco and Marner. No question, those are pasta calves.

Great talent, huge talent, but those calves.............

We might just be talking about Timashov re: that draft.

I'm sure all the scouts will be monitoring the calves of these kids in the up coming draft..

Bigger the calves the lower the risk. Got it.

Thank you. You shall receive a check in the mail for your hard work on this new discovery of player development.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I'm sure all the scouts will be monitoring the calves of these kids in the up coming draft..

Bigger the calves the lower the risk. Got it.

Thank you. You shall receive a check in the mail for your hard work on this new discovery of player development.

I prefer gauging by sturdy ankles. Weak ankles, no go for me. Calves are a old hat gauge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad