Toronto Maple Leafs- Cap Targets

Richards18Forever

Nov 15, 2006
philadelphia
I dont know all of their numbers but with the Matthew's contract to go with Tavares and Nylander, and Marner, Kapanen, Johnsson and other larger contracts to sign how will Toronto be able to manage signing all these young guys as well as the price in the crease and a solid defense to support the Offense they have.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
They’re going to pawn that sob on some poor soul. I just hope it’s not us.

I came in here seeing you quoted me and was expecting a Don Cherry reference. :laugh:

26k9Td7.gif

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
Lets hope Kaps agent doesn't agree to a bad deal. He goes RFA he's 100% gone. I could see us putting in an offer for sure as well as 3-4 other teams

Bigkarl

Dec 27, 2017
Hoping no one helps them out by taking Zaitsev. I could also see Marleau retiring, but not sure if there would be a recapture penalty for that.

I'd love to see them have to deal Kapanen for pennies on the dollar.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Hoping no one helps them out by taking Zaitsev. I could also see Marleau retiring, but not sure if there would be a recapture penalty for that.

I'd love to see them have to deal Kapanen for pennies on the dollar.

Why on earth would Marleau retire now on the banks of the Promised Land? He holds all the power and is still contributing.

Bigkarl

Dec 27, 2017
Why on earth would Marleau retire now on the banks of the Promised Land? He holds all the power and is still contributing.

True. Just a thought that if it got that dire for Toronto to ask him to waive the NMC, how that would shake out. Granted, there’s not a whole lot of incentive for him to do that unless it became an untenable situation

Freddy The Fog

Don't live in the fast lane. Live on the off ramp
Aug 3, 2005
It's Toronto. The NHL loves Toronto. In fact I find it amazing they can breath given how far they've stuck their nose up the Leafs ass whenever possible.

Expect the cap to go up enough to make everything work out for TO to sign everyone they want. Expect the NHL to justify the cap increase using any available excuse (like new TV contract)

Last edited:

PK16

Jul 28, 2013
It's Toronto. The NHL loves Toronto. In fact I find it amazing they can breath given how far they've stuck their nose up the Leafs ass whenever possible.

Expect the cap to to up enough to make everything work out for TO to sign everyone they want. Expect the NHL to justify the cap increase using any available excuse (like new TV contract)
I hate to say it, but I agree with this. Somehow things will work out or the Leafs and the league will probably be helping out where it can.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Lots of teams will be at the cap ceiling, not just Toronto.

It sounds really dumb and bitter for Flyer fans to complain about it considering how long Philly was right at the limit with the cap going up all the time, including doing things like putting Pronger on LTIR and then trading him to Arizona, and strong-arming Vinny into agreeing to retire in return for being traded.

Reactions: Tripod

Freddy The Fog

Don't live in the fast lane. Live on the off ramp
Aug 3, 2005
Lots of teams will be at the cap ceiling, not just Toronto.

It sounds really dumb and bitter for Flyer fans to complain about it considering how long Philly was right at the limit with the cap going up all the time, including doing things like putting Pronger on LTIR and then trading him to Arizona, and strong-arming Vinny into agreeing to retire in return for being traded.

Everything Philly did was based on rules that were already in existence. And the NHL rules were changed to close loopholes (Pronger).

When (IF) the cap goes up an unusual amount (outside of the pattern established over the last say...5 years) then it's clear the NHL will be creating new decisions to the benefit of TO immediately for Toronto.

Call it bitter if it makes you feel better. It's not. It'll be reality.

If it doesn't happen - I'll be very surprised.

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016

Expect the cap to go up enough to make everything work out for TO to sign everyone they want. Expect the NHL to justify the cap increase using any available excuse (like new TV contract)

Excuse me..... did I fall asleep and miss the Leafs winning the Cup after Color TV was invented?

Reactions: 7even

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Everything Philly did was based on rules that were already in existence. And the NHL rules were changed to close loopholes (Pronger).

When (IF) the cap goes up an unusual amount (outside of the pattern established over the last say...5 years) then it's clear the NHL will be creating new decisions to the benefit of TO immediately for Toronto.

Call it bitter if it makes you feel better. It's not. It'll be reality.

If it doesn't happen - I'll be very surprised.
you are really reaching here

Reactions: Curufinwe

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
I hate Toronto as much as the Pens, but with that said even with all these good players, think about what it took Pitt to win their cups, good goaltending, a #1 Dman (LeTang), Sid, Malkin, and to some extent Kessel, now the Leafs have some studs there is now arguing that, but which one of them is on Sid’s level? Or Malkin’s level?
My point is it takes an awful lot for a team to win the cup, I don’t see Toronto doing it with their roster right now, and even if they sign all of them, Andersen will fall back to earth, and Muzzin is good but not the #1 Dman everyone in Toronto is telling us he is, they will make their olayoff series fun to watch but, and they’ll probably win one or two but I really think Boston and Tampa have their number this year, but hey you really never know

Reactions: Freddy The Fog

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I hate Toronto as much as the Pens, but with that said even with all these good players, think about what it took Pitt to win their cups, good goaltending, a #1 Dman (LeTang), Sid, Malkin, and to some extent Kessel, now the Leafs have some studs there is now arguing that, but which one of them is on Sid’s level? Or Malkin’s level?
My point is it takes an awful lot for a team to win the cup, I don’t see Toronto doing it with their roster right now, and even if they sign all of them, Andersen will fall back to earth, and Muzzin is good but not the #1 Dman everyone in Toronto is telling us he is, they will make their olayoff series fun to watch but, and they’ll probably win one or two but I really think Boston and Tampa have their number this year, but hey you really never know
Leafs best year to win it, is this year. The production of their kids vs their cap hit will never be better. But their window is still going to be open for 6 years including this year...and maybe longer.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The cap will go up because of money coming in from a new TV deal and gambling. Not because of a conspiracy to help the Leafs, who won't be spending more than a dozen other teams anyway.

the NHL will be creating new decisions to the benefit of TO immediately for Toronto.

Like when there was a new rule in the 2013 CBA allowing the Flyers to get out of the Bryzgalov disaster after two of nine years with no cap penalties.

Reactions: Legion of Gloom

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Flyers could offer sheet Kapanen at $4m for 2 years. Would be a good contract for Kapanen, more than what Toronto likely can offer on a bridge deal. He then gets a chance to make more.

Compensation is only a 2nd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad