Post-Game Talk: Toronto Maple Leafs beat New York Islanders 3-1: PG 11 Postgame Talk

Rayzorexe

Meh..
Dec 29, 2009
Toronto, ON
Haven't done a GDT in a while so I might as well throw one up.

Been a while since the last Leaf game against the Coyotes last Tuesday. Looks like Bernier is in net with Reimer backing him up. Other than that, Hunwick will probably go back in for Corrado..

http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/preview?id=2015020528

MAPLE LEAFS (12-14-7) at ISLANDERS (19-11-5)

TV: TVAS, SN, MSG+

Season series: The New York Islanders won two of three games against the Toronto Maple Leafs last season. Phil Kessel scored twice in a four-goal second period to help Toronto to a 5-2 comeback win on Oct. 21, 2014. New York's Anders Lee scored two goals, including the game-winner at 12:02 of the second period, in a 3-2 win on Feb. 12. John Tavares scored 4:38 into overtime in the Islanders 4-3 win on March 10. Josh Bailey led the Islanders with four points (four assists). James van Riemsdyk had two goals and two assists to lead the Maple Leafs.

Maple Leafs team scope: Goaltender James Reimer practiced Saturday for the first time since re-injuring his groin Dec. 3. Coach Mike Babcock told TSN that Jonathan Bernier, who is 2-1-2 with an .890 save percentage in five games following a conditioning stint with the Toronto Marlies of the American Hockey League, will start in goal against the Islanders. Reimer will serve as his backup. Goalie Garret Sparks (lower body) was on the ice approximately an hour or so before practice Saturday working with goalie coach Steve Briere, per TSN. Toronto, which had its six-game point streak snapped prior to the holiday break, assigned goalie Antoine Bibeau and forward Rich Clune to the Marlies on Saturday.

Islanders team scope: Forward Kyle Okposo (lower body) and goaltender Jaroslav Halak (upper body) are considered day-to-day according to the Islanders website. Okposo, who leads the Islanders with 26 points (eight goals, 18 assists), sat out two games before the holiday break. "I wanted to play in every game, but it was nice to get some rest and try to let the body heal," Okposo told the Islanders website after practice Saturday. "Anytime you take that much time off the ice you're not going to feel that normal, but it felt all right, it felt better than it has, so I'm just going to try and push through it and we'll see what happens." Halak, who is 10-6-3 with a 2.09 goals-against average and .932 save percentage, did not practice Saturday. Goalie Thomas Greiss will likely start against Toronto if Halak is unable to play, according to the Islanders website.

Game will be on Sportsnet and TSN1050 for those listening on the radio.

Last edited by a moderator:

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

Maple Leafs-New York Islanders: Sunday game preview

The Islanders snapped a three-game losing streak with a win over Anaheim on Dec. 21.

BARCLAYS CENTER

Puck drop: 6 p.m.

TV: Sportsnet

Radio: TSN Radio 1050 Toronto

Key matchup:John Tavares vs. Matt Hunwick.

Tavares is one of the finest centres in the NHL, and he will be a handful for the Maple Leafs top defensive pairing, which usually draws the assignment against the top opposition forwards. Tavares, who missed two games earlier this month with the flu, ended a three-game point drought with two assists in the Isles’ 5-2 win over Anaheim Dec. 21.

Ex-Leafs: Former Leafs Mikhail Grabovski and Nik Kulemin usually have a little extra motivation when facing their old team. Both are fixtures with the Islanders now and are solid contributors — Grabovski has five goals and 11 assists while Kulemin has two goals and eight assists.

Big hitter:Matt Martin is a physical force on the ice and will take the body and drop the gloves for his team when called on. Martin fought Josh Manson in a win over the Anaheim Ducks, and his team scored three unanswered goals afterward. That game was a chippy affair, and also saw Tavares and Ducks captain Ryan Getzlaf get into a scrum.

On the mend: The Islanders snapped a three-game losing streak with the win over Anaheim. They had scored just two goals during that mini-losing streak. The team now stands third in the NHL in goals against per game (2.29); they were among the bottom third in the league the past three seasons in goals against per game. Leading scorer Kyle Okposo is day to day with a lower body injury.

Up next: Dec. 29 vs. New York Islanders, 7 p.m., TSN-4

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
If we don't lose by 3 goals i will be right surprised. Not expecting much from this game at all.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
i wonder if Randorf gets the sunday game.
if not i'm watching the Islanders option.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Thanks for the GDT Sinonexe.. and Budsfan...

Hoping we come off an X-mas break with a win, this time... It seems like forever, since we did...

Isles Are Goin' Down: Leafs vs Islanders Montage - TML

GO LEAFS GO !!

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
6:00 PM start. That is strange

It'll be even more strange, if they actually start the game at 6 PM.... :laugh:

Marlies play at 3 PM, everyone... The game's being aired on LeafsTV...

They play the IceCaps again... Beat them 5-2, yesterday at the ACC... :handclap:

Scoring
2. TOR Leipsic, (7) (Frattin, Valiev), 9:10
2. TOR Panik, (8) (Campbell, Valiev), 14:24
3. STJ Lessio, (8) (Holloway), 1:08
3. TOR Harrington, (1) (Brennan, Clune), 8:34
3. STJ Dietz, (4) (Fournier), 8:52
3. TOR Carrick, (4) , 14:02
3. TOR Soshnikov, (9) (Clune, Arcobello), 19:29 (EN)

Bibeau, with the win...

Marlies Highlights - December 26, 2015

mikebel111*

i wonder if Randorf gets the sunday game.
if not i'm watching the Islanders option.

Is Randorf really that bad? I watched the Habs game yesterday and he looked average to me which is better than the guy that we get( whats his name?)

I miss Joe Bowen:(

Edit: looks like I misread your post:laugh:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Is Randorf really that bad? I watched the Habs game yesterday and he looked average to me which is better than the guy that we get( whats his name?)

I miss Joe Bowen:(

Edit: looks like I misread your post:laugh:

:laugh: I was going to say Mike - ... no. I like Randorf!
Basically unless I can not get the out of town option, I am refusing to watch Sportsnet/Paul Romanuk. it won't mean a thing to Rogers, but at least I can actually have a good game experience for m'self. I would do the whole radio/t.v. thing but i don't like the lapse.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I'm in NY visiting family this week, and we'll be at the game tonight cheering our boys on. Really excited, only the second time I'll be seeing the Leafs away from home, which is always interesting. Hopefully they have a good showing.

Go Leafs Go!

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I'm in NY visiting family this week, and we'll be at the game tonight cheering our boys on. Really excited, only the second time I'll be seeing the Leafs away from home, which is always interesting. Hopefully they have a good showing.

Go Leafs Go!

Awesome Christmas. Have a good time.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Here is the New York Islanders' projected lineup for tonight's game:

http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/preview?id=2015020528&navid=sb:preview&intcmpid=sb-preview

LuF7SoW.png

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
so.. Gibson's gonna shut us out tonight, right? true to ex-Leaf form

No regrets. He has the potential to be a pretty good backup, but so did Sparks, and Sparks is outplaying him right now. He's also behind a pretty good defense, whereas the Marlies defense is probably their one weak point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad