Prospect Info: Toronto Maple Leafs 2020 7th Round (195th OA) C Wyatt Schingoethe (USHL) 5'11 201

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
From the few reports it sounds like this one may be the grittiest of the bunch. Like Loponen last season, they draft their toughest player with their last pick.

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX
No players from the OHL or DUB.

Interesting.
Mind Boggling . Leafs must have cut the budget and got rid of their OHL and WHL scouts .
The rope just got that much shorter for both Dubas and Shanahan .
Despite the teams embarrassing lack of success the team continued to draft the exact same kind of players as they always have since Dubas has been involved .

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Mind Boggling . Leafs must have cut the budget and got rid of their OHL and WHL scouts .
Despite the teams embarrassing lack of success the team continued to draft the exact same kind of players as they always have since Dubas has been involved .

Not really. It's about years of control.

With the pandemic and delay to start the OHL and WHL seasons they might only have 1 year to evaluate a player with only 18 months of control.

You get many years of control with Euro's or college players. The QMJHL is currently playing so they can evaluate Villaneuve.

Reactions: Morgs

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Our first 6 picks were all ranked in the first 3 rounds, and last years draft was fantastic with Robertson/Kokkonen/Abramov.

Drafting good players is a good thing. I'd much rather have those than a bunch of 6'5" guys with no shot at making the league.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
How do I feel?

883 different players in the NHL last season.
374 of them were Canadian.
100 of them were Swedish.

43 of them were Russian.
41 of them were Finnish.

11 draft picks, 1 Canadian, 0 Swedes.
Well-respected veteran Swedish scout with no picks from Sweden.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
How do I feel?

883 different players in the NHL last season.
374 of them were Canadian.
100 of them were Swedish.

43 of them were Russian.
41 of them were Finnish.

11 draft picks, 1 Canadian, 0 Swedes.
Well-respected veteran Swedish scout with no picks from Sweden.

The Swedish bit interesting, but i guess Bergman wasn't particularly fond of the availible guys when it came to the Leafs

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Not really. It's about years of control.

With the pandemic and delay to start the OHL and WHL seasons they might only have 1 year to evaluate a player with only 18 months of control.

You get many years of control with Euro's or college players. The QMJHL is currently playing so they can evaluate Villaneuve.
oh,,,soooooo

it's not always about BPA,,,,interestinggggggg

horner

May 22, 2007
The 2021 draft is going to be a bizzare.
Limited viewing .
No tournaments.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I know. Those Sandins and Roberstons should get him fired asap.

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX
Our first 6 picks were all ranked in the first 3 rounds, and last years draft was fantastic with Robertson/Kokkonen/Abramov.

Drafting good players is a good thing. I'd much rather have those than a bunch of 6'5" guys with no shot at making the league.[/QUOTE

Drafting good players is a good thing. I'd much rather have those than a bunch of 6'5" guys with no shot at making the league.

True . The overwhelming success that the team has experienced since Dubas came on board in 2015 means he should never diverge from his chosen strategy .
The teams that are successful in this league are a combination of high skill , high compete and grit .
Would be nice if the Leafs got their head out of their ass and recognized this and drafted a diversified group of players that reflect this .

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007

Sorry, no short rope.
And how can you question the drafting work of Dubas this far into his GM tenure?
Draft-Develop-Prosper
Takes time to the develop

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad