Prospect Info: Toronto Maple Leafs 2020 6th Round (168th OA) RW Veeti Miettinen (NCAA) 5'9 159

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
He is in MN now. Could start practicing with the team today. St. Cloud's season starts Dec 1st.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Excited to see this guy get going. From everything I've read, it seems he'd be a lot more highly touted if he decided to go pro in Finland instead of going the NCAA route.

He stayed back playing Jr. A in Finland last year (and torched the league) when in reality he could have been playing pro but wanted to keep NCAA eligibility.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I believe St Clouds 1st game is Dec 1st

You know of any central place where NCAA schedule info can be pulled? I'm trying to automate prospect game schedules for a side project and am struggling with NCAA schedules. Not sure if it's just because the games are a little ways out yet but places like flashscore.com don't have them yet.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
How did we get him so late? Because he's 5'9?
He took a unusual route for a Finish prospect in playing Jr A in his draft year to maintain NCAA eligibility. His size probably didn't help but most of the other Finns looking to be drafted were playing pro hockey so people probably just over looked him to our benefit.

Reactions: weems

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
If our 2nd rounder from the same draft being better then Caufield didn't already send Hab fans over the edge our 6th rounder this year being better then him will really do it.

I love it!

HAB tears are delicious! When I read what they are saying to make themselves feel better it warms my heart! Hahaha

Reactions: Oscar Peterson

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I love it!

HAB tears are delicious! When I read what they are saying to make themselves feel better it warms my heart! Hahaha
HAB tears aside, this kid is legitimately great. He's been a high-end player for team Finland internationally and has consistently been a top producer on every team he's played at, often playing a year up. If he went to the Liga like most of the kids his age and pedigree did, he's a first rounder and quite possibly challenging for the first half of the 1st round. The fact that he landed in our hands at 168 is beyond absurd.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
The fact that we pulled Amirov, Hirvonen, Miettinen, Ovchennikov from this draft is insane. Amirov was a sure-fire first-rounder but the latter 3 IMO were all challengers for the last 1st/ early 2nd slot. Niemela is the cherry on top of this draft. I fully expect all 5 of these guys at one point or another to have NHL games under their belt. Ovchennikov is the long shot because he's got the highest likelihood of getting poached by the KHL. The other 4 should see NHL time.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
The fact that we pulled Amirov, Hirvonen, Miettinen, Ovchennikov from this draft is insane. Amirov was a sure-fire first-rounder but the latter 3 IMO were all challengers for the last 1st/ early 2nd slot. Niemela is the cherry on top of this draft. I fully expect all 5 of these guys at one point or another to have NHL games under their belt. Ovchennikov is the long shot because he's got the highest likelihood of getting poached by the KHL. The other 4 should see NHL time.

Let's not forget about Rindell either. Leading our defensive prospects in NHLe (only behind Korshkov & SDA) with a rel.CF% of almost 8. Playing top-pairing minutes in Liiga as a D+3.

And that's not even mentioning some guys having decent seasons so far in Schingoethe, Villeneuve, and Fusco.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Let's not forget about Rindell either. Leading our defensive prospects in NHLe (only behind Korshkov & SDA) with a rel.CF% of almost 8. Playing top-pairing minutes in Liiga as a D+3.

And that's not even mentioning some guys having decent seasons so far in Schingoethe, Villeneuve, and Fusco.

Rindell totally escapes my mind. This draft just keeps getting better and better. I've heard/ read great things about Fusco too. I think he can be a future Koster.

Reactions: LeafChief and Morgs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad