GDT: Toronto Maple Leafs (1-0-1) @ Winnipeg Jets (1-2-0) | Oct 19 8PM || PART 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
So we haven't lost a game in regulation and have 4 of 6 possible points and everything is just crap? The goalie his horrible. The rookies are mistake machines so we have draft failures. Shanny doesn't know jack. Lou is too old. We need to rebuild again.
Did I get that right?
Btw did I mention 4 out of 6 possible points?

Keato

Apr 9, 2016
Winnipeg, MB
I understand. I am fine with people being frustrated. I'm just saying do so at your own peril. There are better ways to relax before bedtime. ;)

Part of it is disappointment. I want the Leafs to win every game, so losing like that kind of hurts. However, there is another game tomorrow (and another 78 after that) and, Nintendo is finally gonna start talking about the NX tomorrow morning! So at least there are things to look forward to!

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
So we haven't lost a game in regulation and have 4 of 6 possible points and everything is just crap? The goalie his horrible. The rookies are mistake machines so we have draft failures. Shanny doesn't know jack. Lou is too old. We need to rebuild again.
Did I get that right?
Btw did I mention out of 6 possible points?

Nope. Just the part about the goalie.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Did I get that right?
Btw did I mention out of 6 possible points?

Most people realize this one game is not important in the grand scheme of things, it just sucks to lose in this type of fashion again. People are allowed to complain with how they let this game slip away from them.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Did I get that right?

It's the way the losses have happened IMO. Had we lost 4-1 to Ottawa in game 1, and then won these past 2 everyone would be relatively happy.

To semi-waste Matthews 4 goal game in a loss, and then lose from 4-0 up with a Laine hat trick it's disheartening. A loss from start to finish is much easier to stomach.

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
I have full confidence he will work off the rust That said Andersen blew this one.

You can't put it on the forwards they did their job they gave you a 4-0 lead.

I expect a goalie to be able to lock those down, Everybody has a job.

Andersen didn't do his.

And yet this team still has 4 out of 6 points so I can't be too angry because at this point they are exceeding expectations.

Absolutely you can pin most of the blame on the forwards. How many times did they have the puck inches from clearing the zone, only to give it right back to a jets player?

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
Everyone calm down and take a deep breath :)
There have been MANY nights where Ovechkin has dominated over Crosby.
But who would you take first in a re-draft?

Oh and Andersen needs to clean it up ...#4 and #5 he did not look great.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Welcome to the party Daisy.
Hope you're good.
We lost. We had some good moments and some bad moments. Nothing you wouldn't expect from a team going through a kid rebuild phase.
I saw lots of good things and then where we are still weak. It'll come but not in 3 games.

yah, I just got home, and i watched the highlights.
it didn't really look good at the end. but this is what playing to kids is going to do. give you some highs then smack you with the lows.

we'll adjust. (and it's pretty much why we'll end up lower five of the standings). just don't have the horses to close out, (consistently) or that killer instinct.

as well as Laine's hat trick. y'all. seriously. it doesn't matter.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
yah, I just got home, and i watched the highlights.
it didn't really look good at the end. but this is what playing to kids is going to do. give you some highs then smack you with the lows.

we'll adjust. (and it's pretty much why we'll end up lower five of the standings). just don't have the horses to close out, (consistently) or that killer instinct.

as well as Laine's hat trick. y'all. seriously. it doesn't matter.

What are you talking about. The rookies are doing as expected. The vets and vet goalie are ******** the bed.

ChurchOfMatthews

Goldmember
Oct 13, 2016
Plevna
Kids were ok tonight, Nylander stood out, and I'm not a fan...yet. Vets and our goalie were meh. Gardiner and Hunwick played like ass, so frustrating to watch them consistently make weak plays that turn around to bite us.

If not anything, it was a good learning experience for the kids, we're on the right track and I'm very optimistic about the future.

Go Leafs Go!

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Most people realize this one game is not important in the grand scheme of things, it just sucks to lose in this type of fashion again. People are allowed to complain with how they let this game slip away from them.

I get that we want to complain. I do. I hate that we lost. We played bad and lost but that doesn't mean after 3 games in the season with 4 points out of 6 I'm headed to the fallout shelters.
We lost. That happens. Some players played bad. That happens. But reaction saying a rookie should not play 3 on 3 ever again because he was on the ice for 2 goals against or the goalie, that played well is a horrible signing etc ad nauseum.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Andersen had an .853 save percentage and people are trying to absolve him of blame? It seemed like every quality scoring chance they had went in.

If a point shot beats Andersen, "he had no chance". Meanwhile, the opposing goalies are out here stopping breakaways we would concede to "no chance".
Andersen had 1 bad game, 1 ok game and 1 good game.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I get that we want to complain. I do. I hate that we lost. We played bad and lost but that doesn't mean after 3 games in the season with 4 points out of 6 I'm headed to the fallout shelters.
We lost. That happens. Some players played bad. That happens. But reaction saying a rookie should not play 3 on 3 ever again because he was on the ice for 2 goals against or the goalie, that played well is a horrible signing etc ad nauseum.

Complaining doesn't mean people are heading to the fallout shelters. One person said that about Matthews but most people are competent enough to realize how little this one game effects the long run.

People are still allowed to complain and most are warranted after a night like tonight. Doesn't mean people hate the team or the player all of a sudden, no need to overreact the other way.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Did I get that right?

The purpose isn't really to secure points in the standing. It's to develop as a team full of rookies.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
They look very good offensively. There are the seeds of a strong scoring club here.

Babcock has a lot of work to do on the defensive side. Good news is, the parts of the game we're weak at can be taught.

I think Andersen is still working out the rust. He'll get better.

Brolaf

Apr 4, 2013
Woodbridge, ON
The Leafs were very lucky to get away with a point after the way they played tonight. Spent way too much time hemmed in their own zone and was very sloppy in transition. A sobering reminder of just how far away the team is from contention.

The Jets deserve a lot of credit for their resilience and will to come back.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
It's the way the losses have happened IMO. Had we lost 4-1 to Ottawa in game 1, and then won these past 2 everyone would be relatively happy.

To semi-waste Matthews 4 goal game in a loss, and then lose from 4-0 up with a Laine hat trick it's disheartening. A loss from start to finish is much easier to stomach.
This is what happens to a rookie team. This, imo, is what Babcock's famous there will be pain comment is about, rookie growing pains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad