TSN: Toronto: Leafs exceed painfully low expectations (Quarter season report card)

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
We won't keep up that pace. Sorry, I just don't see it.

We've been in just about every game we've played, even against upper echelon teams. Most of our losses as of late have been in extra time.

Unless our goaltending reverts to being putrid, I see no reason for this team to regress.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Only way we can even remotely keep up that pace is if Reimer keeps playing like a top 3 goaltender. Even with that kind of goaltending we can't win more then a couple in a row.

StevieBlunder

Jun 17, 2015
We've been in just about every game we've played, even against upper echelon teams. Most of our losses as of late have been in extra time.

Unless our goaltending reverts to being putrid, I see no reason for this team to regress.

Injuries will hurt. If Lupul goes down or God forbid one of Leo or Kadri. Our inability to score will catch up with us, and it'll cripple us in the 2nd half of the season, IMO.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

For the most part the Leafs have been playing every game very hard not coasting at all. When the rest of the league gets away from their 80% pre-New Year effort hockey, the Leafs' best effort will almost always not be good enough.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

It does not have to revert back to putrid. Do you think Reimer is going to finish with a .940 save %? If he reverts back to his career average number, then this team is going to lose a lot of games. There is no talent on this roster. Oh and Leo is not going to score 30 goals either. Plus, when the better teams start to ramp up their game for the playoffs in the second half, this team stands no chance.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario

that's not really true in 10 of the last 13 games this team has given up 30+ shots if the goaltending just reverted back to average they would lose most of those games.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
I think we are moving in the right direction... It's taken longer than it should have, but the players are buying into Babcock's system now.. and with Reims having some very strong games.., that has given us some points..

No.. This isn't a contender yet, by any means.., but the nice thing to remember, is that there is a Marlies team right now, who are at the top of the AHL.. and one of the strongest Marlie teams, ever..! Many good players are developing.. and clicking into Babacock/Keefe's systems..

I think we might see Nylander up, after the trade deadline.., if he keeps up the same performance, but it might also be a good thing to send him back fro the Marlies playoff run.., later on..

For anyone who may have missed any of the Leafs 2015-16 games up to now...., you might enjoy this new one...

Wings Of Change: First 22 Games/ All Goals + More - Toronto Maple Leafs 2015-16

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Here's hoping the pre-trade deadline moves kill what little momentum the team has.

I enjoy the team playing well under the new coaching systems but a top pick is still a must.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Saw this on TSN a week ago, thought I'd share. Agree? Disagree?

Grading System
A Excellent
B Very Good
C Satisfactory
D Poor
F Failing
Inc. Incomplete

LEAFS' GRADES BY PLAYER
Goalies
James Reimer A+
Jonathan Bernier F
Defencemen
Morgan Rielly B
Dion Phaneuf B
Matt Hunwick B
Jake Gardiner C
Roman Polak C
Scott Harrington C
Martin Marincin D+

Forwards
Tyler Bozak B
Joffrey Lupul B
Leo Komarov B
James van Riemsdyk C+
P.A. Parenteau C+
Nazem Kadri C+
Daniel Winnik C+
Nick Spaling C+
Peter Holland C
Shawn Matthias C
Byron Froese C
Brad Boyes D+
Michael Grabner D

If anyone expects Reimer to continue at an A+, please let me know. Land sales are available.
Bernier won't continue at F.
Hunwick won't continue at B
Outside of points, is Kadri really a C+ (and yes, points are important)

Some good, some bad, the epitome of a rebuilding franchise.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
If our skaters play the way they did in the first half of the season and Reimer plays like he has in the second half, we're a bubble team.

If skaters play like they have in the second half and we get goaltending like the first half, we're last place in the league.

Odds are we end up somewhere in the middle in actuality.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
+1 on that one.
I am not overboard on the players - outside of a few. But the effort level is high and it makes me excited to see our prospects brought into a more stable environment.

+2. Way more entertaining than i thought. Its like they care or something.

OvenMittz*

If anyone expects Reimer to continue at an A+, please let me know. Land sales are available.
Bernier won't continue at F.
Hunwick won't continue at B
Outside of points, is Kadri really a C+ (and yes, points are important)

Some good, some bad, the epitome of a rebuilding franchise.

Yes, hard pill to swallow for most.

When those fanboys keep bringing up Babcock saying how he is our best forward weeks ago, its clear he is trying to not break his confidence, when you have so many other forwards out performing him. Komarov being one of them.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Hard to disagree with anything there.

I might give Winnik a C, rather than C+, and Matthias a C+.

Winnik has made some weak decisions with the puck, but perhaps that was the injury taking his head out of the game a bit.

Matthias I never expected a lot out of and he has done better with his physical and determined play.

Phaneuf is kind of B because he's doing less, but you'd think he should be doing more for who he is supposed to be on the team. You don't give out those contract so a guy can be a little better than average.

I don't expect Hunwick to be as good as Phaneuf, but it is hard to argue Phaneuf is any better, and there should be a huge gap, so Phaneuf might be overrated because he has to be held to a much higher standard.

But nothing anyone would say, the grades are way out. Komarov being the best player from game 1 earned the B.

I agree. I would put Komarov at the B+ or higher stage, he should be on his own.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Team Possession

Score Adjusted Corsi: 48.0% (#22), 48.8% close (#17)
Score Adjusted Fenwick: 48.5% (#18), 48.8% close (#18)

Goaltending

All Situations .916sv% (#9)
Even Strength: .937sv% (#6)
Penalty Kill: .857sv% (#20)

Penalty Kill

Corsi Against Per 60min: 86.6 (#3)
Fenwick Against Per 60min: 65.8 (#3)
Shots Against Per 60min: 45.0 (#4)
Scoring Chances Against per 60min: 42.6 (#10)
High Danger Scoring Chances Against per 60min: 13.9 (#4)
Goals Against Per 60min: 6.4 (#12)

Power Play

Corsi For Per 60min: 120.5 (#1)
Fenwick For Per 60min: 88.9 (#1)
Shots For Per 60min: 58.4 (#8)
Scoring Chances For per 60min: 65.4 (#1)
High Danger Scoring Chances For per 60min: 32.2 (#1)
Goals For per 60min: 7.1 (#14)

Man there's a lot of good things going on so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad