TSN: Toronto: Leafs exceed painfully low expectations (Quarter season report card)

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Saw this on TSN a week ago, thought I'd share. Agree? Disagree?

The Toronto Maple Leafs were projected to finish last in the Eastern Conference and they are challenging for that dubious distinction. That said, the team has exceeded expectations by winning more games than predicted and playing a better brand of hockey along the way.
Based on exceedingly low expectations – propagated by the Leafs themselves - they have earned a C-minus grade on their Interim Report Card.

Below are the Maple Leafs’ individual player grades.

Three factors were considered in assigning grades: performance, results and expectations, as framed by age, previous performance and cap hit/contract average annual value (AAV). Skaters must have appeared in a minimum of 10 games and goalies, five, to be graded.
Spotlight Player Grade: Assigning a mark to Nazem Kadri is tricky. He is among the NHL leaders in generating shots (84) and has earned the wholehearted trust of Mike Babcock, who calls him his best forward. Juxtapose that, though, with meagre scoring results - two goals and eight points in 21 games – and his $4.1-million contract.

Everybody knows that it’s about playing the right way – which, by all accounts, Kadri is doing - but that doesn’t register on the scoreboard. For that reason, my quarter-season grade for Kadri is C-plus.
Editor’s Note: Follow TSN Director of Scouting Craig Button at @CraigJButton and join the discussion on his Interim Report Cards.

Grading System
A Excellent
B Very Good
C Satisfactory
D Poor
F Failing
Inc. Incomplete

LEAFS' GRADES BY PLAYER

Goalies
James Reimer A+
Jonathan Bernier F

Defencemen
Morgan Rielly B
Dion Phaneuf B
Matt Hunwick B
Jake Gardiner C
Roman Polak C
Scott Harrington C
Martin Marincin D+

Forwards
Tyler Bozak B
Joffrey Lupul B
Leo Komarov B
James van Riemsdyk C+
P.A. Parenteau C+
Nazem Kadri C+
Daniel Winnik C+
Nick Spaling C+
Peter Holland C
Shawn Matthias C
Byron Froese C
Brad Boyes D+
Michael Grabner D

http://www.tsn.ca/toronto-leafs-exceed-painfully-low-expectations-1.398531

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It's pretty much what I expected. We're 1 point out of last place in the East and 4 points off the last place team in the league... I mean, how low/high did you expect them to be? This is pretty much the bottom. One losing streak, which always happens in December/January for this team, and we're at the bottom fast.

Our goal differential isn't as bad as I thought though. We've looked better on the ice this season despite having a less skilled team, which was expected as well. A harder working team that can't score.

To me Rielly and Komarov deserve A's, Kadri a B, Spaling and Polak deserve D's at best. I'd give Grabner an F. The rest of the grades are fine.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
What I found interesting the most from Buttons player grades was that Phaneuf, Bozak and Lupul all received B grades which placed them at the top of the player rankings by position in best performances 1st 1/4 of the season.

Its no secret that these are also the 3 players management had the highest desire to deal away, but couldn't find a trade partner due to contract size and length and their play.

If this is still the goal then the Babcock rehabilitation player process is going swimmingly well. :thumbu:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
What I found interesting the most from Buttons player grades was that Phaneuf, Bozak and Lupul all received B grades which placed them at the top of the player rankings by position in best performances 1st 1/4 of the season.

Its no secret that these are also the 3 players management had the highest desire to deal away, but couldn't find a trade partner due to contract size and length and their play.

If this is still the goal then the Babcock rehabilitation player process is going swimmingly well. :thumbu:

Interesting observation. :thumbu:

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
I don't agree with Reimer with an A+, more of an A to A-, he's still let in some stinkers but that's being picky. Reilly should be higher (as should Harrington imo - he's exceeding expectations. Makes mistakes but he's newish to the NHL so they are bound to happen)

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

Interesting observation. :thumbu:

Sure, but in terms of trade value, how player X plays most recently isn't as important as other factors. The biggest factor would likely be contract.

An example of this would be Phaneuf's contract because of term and dollar amount. With the dollars involved, trades and GM strategies will have to accommodate the impact of the $7 m towards the team cap.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario

I'm inclined to agree. Good observation.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I don't agree with Reimer with an A+, more of an A to A-, he's still let in some stinkers but that's being picky. Reilly should be higher (as should Harrington imo - he's exceeding expectations. Makes mistakes but he's newish to the NHL so they are bound to happen)

His overall play has been up there with the best in the league this year. If you think all goalies don't let stinkers in tell me about it.

He's been good though bud.

That said, my expectation will remain low and the quality of their play is fun to watch most night's.

Lupul and Bozak and Phaneuf graded out well but the easiest player to trade would be Bozak touching on mess's observation. Lupul and Phaneuf will remain difficult to move. Thats not to say its impossible.

Lou hasn't done anything yet to address the things we suspect he wants to build from either. A top defense has always been his go to building tool as he builds from the goalie out. I often wonder how much he is trusting Riemer with the solid play, in a good system that babs brings.

Its going to be interesting to see what lou and the management do on the first trade.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
If you consider our atrocious record to start the season, 7-10-5 is very respectable at this point. If we keep up our pace since the awful start, we will finish the season above .500 for sure.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
It's pretty much what I expected. We're 1 point out of last place in the East and 4 points off the last place team in the league... I mean, how low/high did you expect them to be? This is pretty much the bottom. One losing streak, which always happens in December/January for this team, and we're at the bottom fast.

Our goal differential isn't as bad as I thought though. We've looked better on the ice this season despite having a less skilled team, which was expected as well. A harder working team that can't score.

To me Rielly and Komarov deserve an A's, Kadri a B, Spaling and Polak deserve D's at best. I'd give Grabner an F. The rest of the grades are fine.

Agreed with the most of the changes you'd make.

I'd add Boyes to that list too. He leads the Leafs in P/60 at even strength (despite playing nearly all his time on a line with Grabner), and has been quite productive on the PP as well.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Hard to disagree with anything there.

I might give Winnik a C, rather than C+, and Matthias a C+.

Winnik has made some weak decisions with the puck, but perhaps that was the injury taking his head out of the game a bit.

Matthias I never expected a lot out of and he has done better with his physical and determined play.

Phaneuf is kind of B because he's doing less, but you'd think he should be doing more for who he is supposed to be on the team. You don't give out those contract so a guy can be a little better than average.

I don't expect Hunwick to be as good as Phaneuf, but it is hard to argue Phaneuf is any better, and there should be a huge gap, so Phaneuf might be overrated because he has to be held to a much higher standard.

But nothing anyone would say, the grades are way out. Komarov being the best player from game 1 earned the B.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

It may not be a message board secret but do we actually know that the bolded is true?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
tough to give a grade to, given the crazy difference between the first 10gms and the last 10, ad the crazy difference between the two goalies.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
The grades are about bang on. Kadri's inflated shot totals are in part a result of a conscious strategy to re-invent him as a safe center instead of a dangler.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site

Why should Rielly be higher? At the end of the day, he's a defender with a team worst -7. He's playing some tough minutes, maybe, but let's not pretend there isn't a lot of room for improvement.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Hard to disagree with anything there.

Phaneuf is kind of B because he's doing less, but you'd think he should be doing more for who he is supposed to be on the team. You don't give out those contract so a guy can be a little better than average.

I don't expect Hunwick to be as good as Phaneuf, but it is hard to argue Phaneuf is any better, and there should be a huge gap, so Phaneuf might be overrated because he has to be held to a much higher standard..

Last Leafs game they pointed out a stat that Phaneuf's TOI/g is now its lowest of this entire career since his rookie season.

Babcock's strategy seems to be play Dion less and allow Rielly/Hunwick to play against the oppositions best while sheltering Phaneuf in the process and it has apparently improved his grade by less ice time and lowered his QofC (quality of competition).

This inversely proportionate relationship of < TOI/G & QofC is not what you want from one of the highest paid Dmen in the NHL, but having Phaneuf grade go up by playing less is a positive nonetheless for the Leafs, so good on Babcock for hiding Dion & improving his play. It might be a smoke and mirrors trick to help increase trade interest only but its better than the alternative of playing him more and exposing him more to ridicule for his play accordingly. ;)

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
A+ for James Reimer ... pretty much stopped reading there

I know you still hate Reimer. Not sure why, but that's fine.

I wonder what are your thoughts with nhl.com naming Reimer as an early candidate for the Vezina though...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=789635&navid=nhl:topheads

James Reimer, Toronto Maple Leafs: Reimer's rise to fourth place in the NHL with a .934 save percentage has been fueled by a relatively short stint as the Maple Leafs' No. 1 goaltender, and staying in the top three of this race will require a much longer run behind Toronto's improved defensive structure, but the oft-criticized goalie also deserves some credit for his resurgence. From Reimer's offseason work learning head trajectory and improving his tracking in Kelowna, to key positioning and game preparation adjustments made by new Maple Leafs goaltending coach Steve Briere, the goalie nicknamed "Optimus Reim" has transformed his play this season.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Nothing remarkably surprising to me. I had a strong inclination that Babcock would be able to get this group to play better than expected/overachieve with his structure and system - but I also figured that goals would be hard to come by and that would be a struggle.

Probably the most interesting thing is the contrast in Bernier and Reimer, and how well Reimer has been for the most part and how sub par Bernier has been.

StevieBlunder

Jun 17, 2015
This is basically what I expected this season. All the grades are fair, barring maybe a small bump to Komarov, who has been just a delight to watch.
The big story this year has been the goaltending. It's nice to see Reims get some more time in the spotlight but I feel a bit for Bernier.

Trade one at the deadline. In sick of our goaltending tandem being marred in controversy and not having a clear cut #1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad