Toronto Has The Most Elite 4th Line in the NHL!

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Would it be a good move to start the fourth line on opening faceoff next game ?

A bit of symbolism ?

I'll say No. Won't accomplish anything

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
"Slow down"? Like go back with Spezza and Petan? Why?

Why wouldn't TOR keep rolling with that line? Scratch them after the night they had? Really?

Wtf are you going on about? I said this 4th line has played teams that aren't that good and have bad depth so relax with the expectations and thinking they're so good until they finally play a team with more than 1 line.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Gauthier is a handful when he goes to the net. He should put in some extra practice in front of the net tipping pucks and jamming in garbage goals. Andreychuk and Antropov were the two most recent leafs that put that net front presence work in that i can recall. Andreychuk was a master at it and still always practiced it. Nik became really good at it from practice.

Goat is a big strong dude. Here is hoping he starts sharpening up them skills. A beast later on and in the playoffs if he gets on it. He’s not that sharp now but darn he could be.

still he has been a handful for teams to handle so far but needs some finish

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
Gauthier is a handful when he goes to the net. He should put in some extra practice in front of the net tipping pucks and jamming in garbage goals. Andreychuk and Antropov were the two most recent leafs that put that net front presence work in that i can recall. Andreychuk was a master at it and still always practiced it. Nik became really good at it from practice.

Goat is a big strong dude. Here is hoping he starts sharpening up them skills. A beast later on and in the playoffs if he gets on it. He’s not that sharp now but darn he could be.

still he has been a handful for teams to handle so far but needs some finish

Hoe about putting a big body in front of the net like Mikheyev on pp1 rather than aj

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Hoe about putting a big body in front of the net like Mikheyev on pp1 rather than aj

why not he has some jam for that. JT is doing that now but i would rather him getting some shooting room in the slot too. Babcock won’t try anything new.he’s a one trick pony

Ravenhair

Oct 9, 2019
4th line was hot yesterday. But this is one game vs Detroit. Maybe they will be invisible in next game. Spezza will bring benefits later.
3th line is good almost every game.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Regardless of whose in their eup -ie Spezza, Shore ect. The 4th line this season is basically the highest skilled it's been in many years

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Considering that, based on recent performance, our fourth line is Tavares', you might be right! :sarcasm:

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Gauthier... he gon' be a solid 2nd line C one day.

o_O are we watching two different Fred Gauthier's? 2C really? the guy is a turtle and plays like hes about 5'1...He is getting better at using his size but he is WAY too slow to be a 2C on just about any team in this league...he might be able to do it in Colorado or Arizona or maybe Edmonton (all teams with ridiculously shallow rosters) but other than that hes a 4C who can play 3C in a pinch and that is about where he maxes out...let's not get ahead of ourselves here...the 4th line had a great game but that was as much because of Timashov and Shore as Gauthier and I don't hear you calling Shore to line 2 or Timoshov...take a deep breath...when he starts to actually dominate by himself we can talk about him moving up the lineup...until that point I wouldn't bother...

Reactions: coupe93

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
4th line's goal is to not give up goals and if they score its bonus. but if you have a 4th line that can play defensively well against any opposition line(s) then its amazing.

don't think the leafs' 4th line is up there that can play against oppositions' top 2 lines (at least not yet).

only 4th lines I can think of right now who can play against oppositions' top 2 lines are

bruins and avs IMO

May be our 4th line will grow on me once we settle into which one is the real 4th line and how much we can trust that line against oppositions' top 2 lines.

If Leafs can just roll their lines without thinking too much about line-matching; that would be the best! But how much trust do we have in our 3rd and 4th line to play against opoositions' top 2 lines

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Not sure we can say much about our fourth line until we know what it actually is. Right now it is Gauthier and his rotating cast of wingers. They are doing well and they have plenty of good options. But at the moment we don't have a concrete fourth line.

WilliamInLondon

Mar 24, 2016
I'm so happy that Timashov is doing well. There were high hopes for him during his WJC performance and he was seen as a steal - then he was written off by many after taking a while to develop in the AHL. I really like his game and think he'll could top out as a very useful utility 3rd liner who can do a little bit of everything while on a reasonable contract.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I didn’t like Gauthier when he first cracked the Leafs, but man, he’s a great 4C now. Possession beast, great defensively. Can give a Gauthier-centred 4th line minutes against anyone, and not be too worried, which is rare for a 4th line.

Re: his wingers, don’t like the ripping on Petan/Spezza, but I do prefer grinders on the 4th line. When Hyman comes back, I’m hoping for this as our bottom 6:

Mikheyev - Kerfoot - Kapanen
Moore - Gauthier - Timashov/Shore

That’d be one of the best bottom-6s in the league IMO. And could cycle Timashov/Shore based on matchups (Timashov when we need the skill, Shore when we need the size).

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Re: his wingers, don’t like the ripping on Petan/Spezza, but I do prefer grinders on the 4th line.
My ideal lineup has always had a fourth line capable of playing an effective shutdown role. That's pretty much how our fourth line has been employed, and they have been successful too.

Gauthier has been integral to that so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00