Proposal: Toronto - Columbus

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
Should be spicy enough for a conversation. Think a big change is finally needed in Leafland.

To Toronto:

D - Zach Werenski
C, LW - Boone Jenner

To Columbus:

RW - Mitch Marner
D - Timothy Liljegren
C - Fraser Minten

Big fan of Werenski and Jenner, and the CBJ could use a trade to bring another regular season star to their market to try and make the playoffs. Could also make sense given the CBJ have a lot of bodies back there and this Jiricek kid projects to be the future. Would even add to the above too if that’s what it would take, something like Robertson or a 1st maybe. Flame away.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Should be spicy enough for a conversation. Think a big change is finally needed in Leafland.

To Toronto:

D - Zach Werenski
C, LW - Boone Jenner
No. The answer is already no. All that has to be seen is the pieces we're giving up and the answer is already set. Nobody will ever willingly pay or propose what it would take for the Jackets to give up both of those guys together.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

To Toronto:

D - Zach Werenski
C, LW - Boone Jenner

To Columbus:

RW - Mitch Marner
D - Timothy Liljegren
C - Fraser Minten

Big fan of Werenski and Jenner, and the CBJ could use a trade to bring another regular season star to their market to try and make the playoffs. Could also make sense given the CBJ have a lot of bodies back there and this Jiricek kid projects to be the future. Would even add to the above too if that’s what it would take, something like Robertson or a 1st maybe. Flame away.
Seems pretty bad for columbus…

They do want to start competing soonish…. And don’t need the leafs no show bums on their roster

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
The combination of Marner "disappearing in the playoffs" and wanting to get paid 11m+ on his next contract is so unappealing. I don't see any reason for Columbus to do this, they already have a small skilled playmaker in Gaudreau.

And you throw in Jenner who their management and fan base has stated is not being traded on multiple occasions. Trade makes less than zero sense for Columbus.

Reactions: kinghock

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Columbus already has enough soft, loser, no-heart wingers in Laine and Gaudreau. They won't want a 3rd one in Marner.

Reactions: Cowumbus

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
I expected some of the answers here. I get it. Marner is legit a total loser when it matters. However, don’t be surprised that if we move him in the off-season, the CBJ comes calling, especially because they’ve already offer sheeted Marner before.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Now is not the time to make Marner trades, his value might be at an all time low right now or certainly not great right now

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I expected some of the answers here. I get it. Marner is legit a total loser when it matters. However, don’t be surprised that if we move him in the off-season, the CBJ comes calling, especially because they’ve already offer sheeted Marner before.
They'd be calling, but Laine would be heading the other way.

So unless the Leafs value Laine, the discussion won't go anywhere.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Yeah, you’re the GM after all so I’m sure that’s definitely the case.
Laine, Johnson, Fantilli, Gaudreau, Jenner, Marchencko, Chinahkov all need some sort of top 6 minutes or PP opportunity. They have Brindley and Dumais coming up. You think they're going to add another winger into that fold because...?

Their roster may be flawed, but adding Marner is not the solution. They aren't going to be spending 30 mil on 3 wingers, doesn't take a genius to see that. But that doesn't fit the 'let's help out the Leafs narrative' so lets all put on blinders to reality and team needs.

Reactions: Viqsi

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Both jacket players are overpaid and overrated. Werenski is super injury prone and cant be relied o

Marner sucks too in the playoffs

I think leafs just got to get a 1st + B+ prospect for rental marner

Dont add cap onto other teams failed core players. Stay away from CBJ organization. Too many guys havent devloped well and failed to play to expectations. We cant expect them to play better in a more intense market in toronto

Use the cap space in 2026 once Tavares is also expiring to add guys who your confident can compliment Matthews + Nylander + Rielly

• Haha
Reactions: Viqsi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
That was under Kekalainen, and we've subsequently brought in Gaudreau in free agency.

Reactions: Xoggz22

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Both jacket players are overpaid and overrated. Werenski is super injury prone and cant be relied o
:biglaugh:

Hon, Jenner is the best value non-ELC contract on the Blue Jackets, and is arguably a strong contender for best value non-ELC contract in the league. This stuff is not hard to look up at all. Try it sometime before spouting off.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
You can't be relied on to research (or to finish your sentence).

Werenski did indeed miss more time this year and he nonetheless nearly led the league in 5v5 scoring by a D-man. Great year by him.
Last 5 years:

2020: Werenski missed 7 out of 70 games
2021: Werenski missed 21 out of 56 games
2022: Werenski missed 14 out of 82 games
2023: Werenski missed 69 out of 82 games
2024: Weresnki missed 12 out of 82 games

He has been injured 123 of a possible 372 games last 5 years (33%)

Jenner has also missed 15, 23, 14, and 24 games the last 4 years due to injuries

Both have been super injury prone

Werenski makes 9.5M. Having one great year in the last 5 doesnt make up for his unreliable production and he is not worth the money he makes

:biglaugh:

Hon, Jenner is the best value non-ELC contract on the Blue Jackets, and is arguably a strong contender for best value non-ELC contract in the league. This stuff is not hard to look up at all. Try it sometime before spouting off.
Your right I was wrong on Jenner his deal is only 3.75M

Thought he was making 5M+ for some reason.

He is worth his deal for sure

Still he is also quite injury prone and a risk to decline like Foligno did for the leafs.

Not a guy leafs should be targetting in a marner trade

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad