Speculation: Toronto Cap 2019 Part 2

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Marner is gone, 100% assure you all of this. If they don't trade him by July 1st, the offer sheet will be the catalyst. I do know this, Botterill has great interest in this situation.

Reactions: Hischier and Hughes

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
To reply to someone believing Zaitsev is doing better than Russell in Edmonton, like hell he is. If you put Zaitsev who is not all that good in a good system with a good coach into Edmonton's situation where it's a lot more chaotic and a lot more adversity against them and less talent to help them, he'd do so much worse than Russell. He would not supplant Russell and even if he did there's no way that they'd think it'd be worth it because he's just not that good and not that much of a driver to warrant the investment.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Marner is gone, 100% assure you all of this. If they don't trade him by July 1st, the offer sheet will be the catalyst. I do know this, Botterill has great interest in this situation.

At least use a team Marner might realistically want to play for, not some backwater organization.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
At least use a team Marner might realistically want to play for, not some backwater organization.

I don't think there's much risk of an offer-sheet on Marner, but the leafs will be in cap hell and other GM's could screw them by offering Kapanen something like 4mil on a 1 year deal.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Marner offer sheets, Leafa get 4x 1st round picks. They March if it's a good team where the picks will all be 20+.

Use the money they have now to sign Stone/ Panarin (who ever is available).

Use the 4 1st round picks and trade for a RHD, a guy with some size and some young cost controlled guys to fill out the roster.

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Marner offer sheets, Leafa get 4x 1st round picks. They March if it's a good team where the picks will all be 20+.

Use the money they have now to sign Stone/ Panarin (who ever is available).

Use the 4 1st round picks and trade for a RHD, a guy with some size and some young cost controlled guys to fill out the roster.

Leafs have $72m tied up by 14 players for next season
Toronto Maple Leafs - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

What money signs Stone / Panarin?

Reactions: BLONG7

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Leafs have $72m tied up by 14 players for next season
Toronto Maple Leafs - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

What money signs Stone / Panarin?

If Marner gets offer sheets that give 4 x 1st round picks. You use the money he was gonna get and fill the picks into assets.

I.e. 2020 1st + Marleau(25% retained) to SJS for a 2020 2nd.

Use the assets gained in the 4 1sts to offload your bad contracts and replace them with better cheaper alternatives / picks coming back and use the menu to sign a star free agent winger.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
If Marner gets offer sheets that give 4 x 1st round picks. You use the money he was gonna get and fill the picks into assets.

I.e. 2020 1st + Marleau(25% retained) to SJS for a 2020 2nd.

Use the assets gained in the 4 1sts to offload your bad contracts and replace them with better cheaper alternatives / picks coming back and use the menu to sign a star free agent winger.

And exactly why Marleau would waive his NMC?

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
And exactly why Marleau would waive his NMC?
To go back to SJS who is just as close to a cup as the Leafs? To back to where he still has a house with his wife and kids, where he said he is gonna retire?
Not sure...

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
"Toronto is basically ruined. They should just fold now to save the disappointment. Also, let my team help save your cap my offering to take your stars at 1/4 value because it makes sense, trust me."

-HFBoards

Reactions: Visnovsky

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017

No he's not, we deal Nylander before that happens and pay Marner 10 million.

Although if Marner wants to leave to some irrelevant market away from friends, family and the ability to create a lasting legacy in the city he grew up in, he can feel free.

We'll dry our tears with the 4 1st rounders + 1 of Karlsson, Stone, Panarin.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
"Toronto is basically ruined. They should just fold now to save the disappointment. Also, let my team help save your cap my offering to take your stars at 1/4 value because it makes sense, trust me."

-HFBoards

"LOL LEAFS PLAYERS ARE SO OVERRATED"

"No dude Matthews and Marner are going to make A TON"

"What do you mean we have to pay our own young players a ton??????????"

-HFboards

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Yeh, this sounds reputable o_O

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Top-3 forwards, Top-2 Dmen, #1 goalie next year

TBL: 36.1 + Point
TOR: 36.6 + Marner

Next 6 Contracts:

TBL: 31.0 (with Callahan's 5.8 being painlessly removable)
TOR: 22.2 + Kappy + Johnsson (with Marleau's and Zaitsev's 10.8 being painlessly removable)

Other above min:

TBL: Carle 1.8, Domingue 1.2
TOR: Hyman 2.3, Brown 2.1, Kessel 1.2

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
I don't think there's much risk of an offer-sheet on Marner, but the leafs will be in cap hell and other GM's could screw them by offering Kapanen something like 4mil on a 1 year deal.

Leafs will offer kapanen a short bridge deal. Sure there is the risk of an offersheet but where else is kapanen going to get to play with who he can in toronto.

2 years x $3 million for kaps. That will give cap time to go up and marleaus contract to expire.

If we need to lose him as a cap casualty it is a bummer but tavares, marner, matthews and nylander are a pretty ridiculous 4/12 forwards. Still have hyman, kadri, brown, johnsson, moore. For what matthews and marner are making/ going to make, it shouldnt matter who they play with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad