Torn MCL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlockhart89

Humboldt Strong
Jul 16, 2004
Humboldt, SK
well it really depends on how bad she tore it, if its bad she'll be done for the year but if she had a minor tear and started physio as soon as she was able to she could make it back, granted it depends how long her season is

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
TransportedUpstater said:
If it's a full tear, forget this year. Period.

It ended my playing, altogether. Even after it healed, I lost two full gears in terms of speed, and I was never strong enough to get by without being fast. Also, my ability to maneuver suffered.

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
nomorekids said:
It ended my playing, altogether. Even after it healed, I lost two full gears in terms of speed, and I was never strong enough to get by without being fast. Also, my ability to maneuver suffered.

I feel your pain, literally.

When I was 13, I tore the MCL and broke the upper end of my fibula in my left knee in the same accident. The doctor was more worried about the broken bone, and my treatment was more designed to treat that. For the stabalization of my knee, and the ability to walk normally, it was the right call. Surgery then or since hasn't been a practical option (re: financial).

But my MCL has suffered ever since because it never got the chance to fully heal. Hell, I can dislocated my knee with no pain because of all the residual damage in the last two decades. As you can probably guess, my atheltic career pretty much died with that accident. I had hoped for recovery, but two years after that I completely tore a ligament in my right ankle. Took me six months before I could walk without crutches and/or a cast from that injury. Toast is the approriate word.

Not too long ago, my brother and I went to Centennial. He hadn't been for a skate in a while and I tagged along. I was sitting at the bench with a couple of mothers watching their kids. One of them asked me why I wasn't out there skating and I gave her the Cliff's Notes version. I never even fully realized it until I was asked; but she said that I looked as if I really wanted to be out on the ice. I did so badly, but after all the injuries I did whatever I could to put it out of my mind.

Probably not germane to the topic, but I felt like spilling it.

Transported Upstater

cw7 said:
I feel your pain, literally.

When I was 13, I tore the MCL and broke the upper end of my fibula in my left knee in the same accident. The doctor was more worried about the broken bone, and my treatment was more designed to treat that. For the stabalization of my knee, and the ability to walk normally, it was the right call. Surgery then or since hasn't been a practical option (re: financial).

But my MCL has suffered ever since because it never got the chance to fully heal. Hell, I can dislocated my knee with no pain because of all the residual damage in the last two decades. As you can probably guess, my atheltic career pretty much died with that accident. I had hoped for recovery, but two years after that I completely tore a ligament in my right ankle. Took me six months before I could walk without crutches and/or a cast from that injury. Toast is the approriate word.

Not too long ago, my brother and I went to Centennial. He hadn't been for a skate in a while and I tagged along. I was sitting at the bench with a couple of mothers watching their kids. One of them asked me why I wasn't out there skating and I gave her the Cliff's Notes version. I never even fully realized it until I was asked; but she said that I looked as if I really wanted to be out on the ice. I did so badly, but after all the injuries I did whatever I could to put it out of my mind.

Probably not germane to the topic, but I felt like spilling it.

That's harsh. I'm sorry that happened to you...

Because knee ligament tears happen so often (especially in football), people tend to underestimate them.

Anyone who has ever had a knee injury knows what kind of disaster ligament tears are.

Leaf_Crazy

Jan 22, 2003
Toronto
I love playing hockey, I love thinking about hockey and thats it.. when im on the ice nothing matters. I guess hockey to me is what drugs is to some other people :)

slumpy43

Mar 30, 2005
USA
Don't want to alarm you but please let your friend know that she should consult more than one doctor and go with reputation. Each orthopedist have different strenghts. Some are great with knees, some others with shoulders and so on. Generally speaking, MCL repairs are not as successful as ACL repairs and it is tougher to come back to 100% after such an injury if it is completely torn.

PavelBure

Jan 5, 2003
edmonton
TransportedUpstater said:
That's harsh. I'm sorry that happened to you...

Because knee ligament tears happen so often (especially in football), people tend to underestimate them.

Anyone who has ever had a knee injury knows what kind of disaster ligament tears are.

yeah i know what you mean.

2 years ago i dislocated my knee and tore a couple ligaments during a roller hockey game and the doctor told me that it would have been better if i would have snapped my leg in half

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad