Player Discussion Torey Krug - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
Oh absolutely.

Krug was a godsend when he first emerged because they were so starved for a guy with his skills.
You now have similar skills in a better overall package.

Krug plays a role on a good team, but the question now becomes whether or not they need/can afford him.

I'd put him in a deal and not think twice about it to be honest and the great position that Sweeney is in is that he doesn't HAVE to trade him (Cap expected to go up and only signed for 2 more years). Meaning if he trades him it'll be a positive return coming back and a GM isn't going to fleece him or shouldn't at least. McAvoy should be on the top PP. He just should. Grz can run the 2nd unit. If I move Krug it's either for a similar age top 9 forward (even though we are stacked, if it's the right guy do it) or a Mattias Ekholm type defender. Two way + skating D. Who knows if that trade is out there or not, but if it is. Sign me up.

I hate doing trade proposals because there is less than .000001% chance of being even close... but if I'm Sweeney and Cassidy, I think they love their current D core for the most part and it's mobility etc.. and even though we love Adam McQuaid we are worried about what his being inserted into the lineup might do as far as impacting that. Whether or not they are included in a trade together or separately, I wouldn't be shocked if that's what they try to do. Find a 28 and under two way + skating D to replace McQ and Krug. Then you have...

Chara-McAvoy
acquisition-Carlo
Gryz-Killer

Mac has top PP time now, and you have a legitimate top 4 and a damn solid 3rd pair. Easier said then done, and you have to be worried about affecting the chemistry in the locker room which appears to be quite good at the moment, but Sweeney has prospects galore, and tradeable assets at the NHL level because of the plethora of youth coming.... for instance, have you missed Krejci these last few games? I sure haven't. It'll be interesting to see what he does... because in all honesty with everything coming up the pipeline and the way this team is playing... the time to act is now. Excited to see what transpires

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I'd put him in a deal and not think twice about it to be honest and the great position that Sweeney is in is that he doesn't HAVE to trade him (Cap expected to go up and only signed for 2 more years). Meaning if he trades him it'll be a positive return coming back and a GM isn't going to fleece him or shouldn't at least. McAvoy should be on the top PP. He just should. Grz can run the 2nd unit. If I move Krug it's either for a similar age top 9 forward (even though we are stacked, if it's the right guy do it) or a Mattias Ekholm type defender. Two way + skating D. Who knows if that trade is out there or not, but if it is. Sign me up.

I hate doing trade proposals because there is less than .000001% chance of being even close... but if I'm Sweeney and Cassidy, I think they love their current D core for the most part and it's mobility etc.. and even though we love Adam McQuaid we are worried about what his being inserted into the lineup might do as far as impacting that. Whether or not they are included in a trade together or separately, I wouldn't be shocked if that's what they try to do. Find a 28 and under two way + skating D to replace McQ and Krug. Then you have...

Chara-McAvoy
acquisition-Carlo
Gryz-Killer

Mac has top PP time now, and you have a legitimate top 4 and a damn solid 3rd pair. Easier said then done, and you have to be worried about affecting the chemistry in the locker room which appears to be quite good at the moment, but Sweeney has prospects galore, and tradeable assets at the NHL level because of the plethora of youth coming.... for instance, have you missed Krejci these last few games? I sure haven't. It'll be interesting to see what he does... because in all honesty with everything coming up the pipeline and the way this team is playing... the time to act is now. Excited to see what transpires

can we pump the brakes on Grzelcyk until he has 10 career points?

Lord knows 5pts in 18 games @15 min a night is better than 20pts in 32 games and logging 20min a night.

People complain Krug is too small and gets pushed around in his own end....yet Grzelcyk is the same height and 20lbs lighter

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
can we pump the brakes on Grzelcyk until he has 10 career points?

Lord knows 5pts in 18 games @15 min a night is better than 20pts in 32 games and logging 20min a night.

People complain Krug is too small and gets pushed around in his own end....yet Grzelcyk is the same height and 20lbs lighter
GRYZ seems much smarter with the puck, more composed, technically sound player....We have seen a small sample. But the IQ is 100% there and he understands what he can and cant do. I for one am praying Krug is part of a package for a top line winger or an upgrade on the D. His salary is way over priced for what he brings. We can use that money no doubt.

Reactions: Bun cook

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
GRYZ seems much smarter with the puck, more composed, technically sound player....We have seen a small sample. But the IQ is 100% there and he understands what he can and cant do. I for one am praying Krug is part of a package for a top line winger or an upgrade on the D. His salary is way over priced for what he brings. We can use that money no doubt.
Team is playing great hockey. I'm not trading anyone right now, especially Krug.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I just don't get it. Did we not learn what not having D depth does in the playoffs? Anyone suggestion we trade Krug because of 20 games of Gryz is absolutely nuts, how bout we have 3 solid pairings and an unreal depth option in McQuaid that way when someone is inevitably hurt come playoff time we aren't leaning on Joe f***ing Morrow and Tommy Cross type players?

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
I just don't get it. Did we not learn what not having D depth does in the playoffs? Anyone suggestion we trade Krug because of 20 games of Gryz is absolutely nuts, how bout we have 3 solid pairings and an unreal depth option in McQuaid that way when someone is inevitably hurt come playoff time we aren't leaning on Joe ****ing Morrow and Tommy Cross type players?
Nailed it. Injuries will happen and I like having lots of options too!

Fopppa

Jan 3, 2009
I don’t want to sidetrack this, but have we finally moved on from Tuukka and Barzal now and Krug is officially the new hot topic? Have to keep up around here.

Team is on a good roll despite the slight blip in DC, I’ll never fathom the need to always moan about something. Just a couple weeks ago Krug was playing great hockey. Whatever ails him now, bad form or an injury, he’ll get back into a groove soon enough and the focus will no doubt shift elsewhere.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
You need to play this season out first. Keep Gryz as the #6 dman all year and make sure he is not a flash in the pan--I do think he is legit but you need to make sure. This also gives you time for Zboril to continue developing in Providence. If Lindgren is healthy and signs up to go to Providence for the playoffs this year, you will have another internal candidate for 2018.
At the end of this year, if you get Chara re-upped for 1 more, you can look at shopping Krug at the draft for a mid or high 1st.
Krug's money will be needed in a couple years for McAvoy.

ORRMAN

Dec 3, 2008
Here's my post from mid-December. I took a fair amount of flack for this, but I think others are coming around to the same conclusion:

"Can we trade Krug before the rest of the league figures out that he is slow, can't shoot, and gives the puck away in his own end far too easily?

Please. "

Reactions: Bun cook

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
Here's my post from mid-December. I took a fair amount of flack for this, but I think others are coming around to the same conclusion:

"Can we trade Krug before the rest of the league figures out that he is slow, can't shoot, and gives the puck away in his own end far too easily?

Please. "
LIKE........

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
How will Torey Krug respond to being benched against the Capitals - The Boston Globe

wondering how Torey Krug will bounce back after being kept on the bench for the overtime.
■ Coach Bruce Cassidy made it clear Friday morning, prior to the club’s optional workout, that he wants Krug to be harder on pucks and improve his gap control, specifically when defending through the neutral zone, before action turns heavier in the back end.
Asked if he expects a quick bounce-back from Krug, Cassidy said, “I don’t know if it happens overnight in terms if it’s a confidence issue. I see a guy who needs to use his feet more, and I don’t think it’s different than a lot of defensemen we’ve talked about over this year, last year.”
Cassidy also said he recognizes that no player likes to be told about his shortcomings by the coach.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
If we trade Krug the wolves are gonna come out for Grizz.

'We can't have a guy that small unless he puts up 40-50 points a year' etc etc etc.

By all means trade Krug for a LD who can lead the 1st PP unit and is a long term Chara replacement. But we will be adding a good amount and bidding against the rest of the NHL. And our GM sucks at making trades hes a draft and develop guy.

Tazz

Oct 4, 2017
Team is playing great hockey. I'm not trading anyone right now, especially Krug.
I'm not condoning a trade, unless it makes sense, but NOW is exactly when you make a trade if you're going to. You never make trades from a position of weakness (while in s slump etc).

Reactions: Strafer

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs

Please. "

Didn’t make any sense in mid-December. Still doesn’t.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Krug went from November 11 to December 20 without a post because he was playing well

When Oshie got that ridiculous Mickey Mouse slash in the first period a coach should have brought it to the teams attention this ref is going to call slashes so be extra careful

Krug definitely needs to be better but going by his track record he likely will deliver high end play

at this point we probably don't have a lot to say about krug anymore because he hasn't really changed in the past couple years now. anyone who had an opinion on him including you and I have probably stated that opinion at least 10 times now. the things he did well 2 years ago, he continues to do well. the things he didn't do well 2 years ago, perhaps he might marginally do better. but anyone who was hoping he could grow into a bigger role after his new contract have to be a bit discouraged now.

some people just love offensive dmen and didn't see any flaws in krug 2 years ago. I'm sure those same people continue to love him. but for fans like myself that were hopeful that he could learn some tricks that might help compensate for his size and might grow into a good top pair dman... we haven't seen it happen.

I guess the only real difference between now and 2 years ago is now we have mcavoy and grezlyk looking like offensive talented dmen making elc contracts.

honestly I have thought carlo has struggled a lot with krug as his partner. I don't feel carlo/krug are a strong pairing. I don't have much hope for krug/mcavoy either. so now I'm stuck figuring out where all these guys are going to play.

if we are planning to bring chara back... I think he has to grow into a lesser role where hes not necessarily going against top completion. a chara/carlo pairing in the bottom makes sense to me.

I'm thinking miller will stick around... and I do see growth in his game. and I do think he can partner with krug and be effective but I also think he can partner with gryzlyk and be effective. I know which pairing will be more affordable

the third right hand shot guy in my projected lineup is mcavoy. so is krug the right partner for him or should we be trying to flip krug for a guy who will be a better partner?

trying to get a true number 1 left shot dman will be expensive both for trade cost and for cap room

if krug cant fit with either mcavoy or carlo than I don't think we can proceed with him {unless of course we are planning to move carlo for a partner that would fit with krug?}

honestly... what I would like to see as I sit here today is

mcavoy/dekyser
carlo/chara
miller/gryzlyk

I see enough puck moving/pp skill here that we wont suffer from a lack of it. dekyser is slightly cheaper than krug. I think krug has more trade value than dekyser so I think we would be entitled to more coming back.

then when chara is ready to go into the sunset I think we have zboril as his heir apparent. and when dekyser is ready to go we have vaakanainen and lingren in the pipeline

if the other kids in the system like Sherman and ogara and lauzon make it too... bonus but at the very least this gives us a clear view at a sustainable path and I think this group of 6 guys has the right combination of size/skill/skating offense/defense and I think it will be affordable to maintain too

its not that I think krug sucks... and I doubt very many others here do either. I just don't think hes getting any better and I don't think hes the best fit for us

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
at this point we probably don't have a lot to say about krug anymore because he hasn't really changed in the past couple years now. anyone who had an opinion on him including you and I have probably stated that opinion at least 10 times now. the things he did well 2 years ago, he continues to do well. the things he didn't do well 2 years ago, perhaps he might marginally do better. but anyone who was hoping he could grow into a bigger role after his new contract have to be a bit discouraged now.

some people just love offensive dmen and didn't see any flaws in krug 2 years ago. I'm sure those same people continue to love him. but for fans like myself that were hopeful that he could learn some tricks that might help compensate for his size and might grow into a good top pair dman... we haven't seen it happen.

I guess the only real difference between now and 2 years ago is now we have mcavoy and grezlyk looking like offensive talented dmen making elc contracts.

honestly I have thought carlo has struggled a lot with krug as his partner. I don't feel carlo/krug are a strong pairing. I don't have much hope for krug/mcavoy either. so now I'm stuck figuring out where all these guys are going to play.

if we are planning to bring chara back... I think he has to grow into a lesser role where hes not necessarily going against top completion. a chara/carlo pairing in the bottom makes sense to me.

I'm thinking miller will stick around... and I do see growth in his game. and I do think he can partner with krug and be effective but I also think he can partner with gryzlyk and be effective. I know which pairing will be more affordable

the third right hand shot guy in my projected lineup is mcavoy. so is krug the right partner for him or should we be trying to flip krug for a guy who will be a better partner?

trying to get a true number 1 left shot dman will be expensive both for trade cost and for cap room

if krug cant fit with either mcavoy or carlo than I don't think we can proceed with him {unless of course we are planning to move carlo for a partner that would fit with krug?}

honestly... what I would like to see as I sit here today is

mcavoy/dekyser
carlo/chara
miller/gryzlyk

I see enough puck moving/pp skill here that we wont suffer from a lack of it. dekyser is slightly cheaper than krug. I think krug has more trade value than dekyser so I think we would be entitled to more coming back.

then when chara is ready to go into the sunset I think we have zboril as his heir apparent. and when dekyser is ready to go we have vaakanainen and lingren in the pipeline

if the other kids in the system like Sherman and ogara and lauzon make it too... bonus but at the very least this gives us a clear view at a sustainable path and I think this group of 6 guys has the right combination of size/skill/skating offense/defense and I think it will be affordable to maintain too

its not that I think krug sucks... and I doubt very many others here do either. I just don't think hes getting any better and I don't think hes the best fit for us

I love Krug, despite his Wideman run here recently. BUT, for the reasons you outlined, using him as a chip to get a partner for McAvoy isn't crazy at all.

Just don't like the target here. Not comfortable with those two extra years for DeKeyser vs Krug and not convinced DeKeyser will be better than one of the young LDs the Bruins have in the pipe for half that contract. I think DeKeyser is close to a left handed Kevan Miller. Nothing wrong with that, but looking for something better than that if I am giving up 5 million a year for 5 more seasons off my cap. I realize you are trying to look for something realistic, but if this is the best option, I'd rather roll with what the team has and wait for something better to come up.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
And for the record this post should be bumped in the future if it happens the biggest winner of a Krug trade would probably be Krug.

Dude would get put on a top pairing and possibly lead NHL D men in scoring and maybe make an all star team.

pineapplestastegood

Oct 4, 2017
I was basically drawn and quartered at the beginning of the year for even having the gall to suggest he's not fit to play top 4 minutes against opposing team's top lines. Glad there's a shimmer of rationality that is starting to permeate through the boards, that maybe I'm not so crazy after all. A great philosopher once said, "Ball don't lie." Puck don't either.

Reactions: ORRMAN

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
I would not trade Krug. He's going through a slump right now, maybe suffering a few confidence issues, but he's been an excellent puck mover in the past in a league that is very familiar with him. He's not old. There's no way he has suddenly lost it. He may not have the most straight-ahead speed on the D corps, but he has quick feet in tight spaces and thinks quick, passes quick. He's built for the modern NHL.

Plus one of the Ds is bound to get hurt before long, Zboril, Lauzon etc. couldn't be expected to step right in and fill the spot if Krug were to go.

But if they do decide to trade Krug, the best return would be draft picks -- can't see any crying need on the roster that can't be filled from within, so deep is the system now. Always gotta worry about long-term future depth.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
playoffs last year we watched as this blueline was decimated with injury and no answer and now fans want to move Krug ? Sorry, while I`m not one who thinks he`s an untouchable, if he`s moved, it better be for a helluva return. Yes he has his defensive shortcomings however, when he`s on his game (and he definitely wasn`t vs the Caps) he`s bloody good, toss in a typical season where he`s putting up or around the 40-50 pt range.....

I like Grizz thus far, not sure he can bring offensively what Krug can and I see many of the same shortcomings in his game defensively as Krug has

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I was basically drawn and quartered at the beginning of the year for even having the gall to suggest he's not fit to play top 4 minutes against opposing team's top lines. Glad there's a shimmer of rationality that is starting to permeate through the boards, that maybe I'm not so crazy after all. A great philosopher once said, "Ball don't lie." Puck don't either.

Yeah, bad run of play = Not a top 4 defenseman

He hasn't shown anything the past 3 seasons since he's been a top 4 defenseman, that he's actually a top 4 defenseman or anything. :facepalm:

frickinbobby

Sep 21, 2017
maybe try him at wing. just to see how it looks. it would be rather impressive to have Z, Mac, Killer, Mc, and Carlo as 5 of your 6 D. Gryz would get the chance to stay on as the smaller PMD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad