VGK or PIT 2nd (which OTT prefers)
throwaway VGK prospect or organizational piece

:vegas
TOR 2nd 2020
TOR 3rd 2021
Justin Holl

Thinking
Leafs - get a RHD who can play on the NHL team in a big position of need

Sens - take on Clarkson and reach the cap floor, recoup an asset or two in process

VGK - Clear 9M in cap this year

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Replace the 2nd with a nhl ready player like borgman. Leafs wont be without either a 1st or a 2nd next year. If we end up getting a 2nd in a brown deal than I'd give up our 2nd.

DaddyO

Apr 22, 2015
Pretty good value all around, probably send Holl to Ottawa instead tho. Not bad at all win/win/win I could see a trade like this happening

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I like the idea of Miller to TO, but 3 pcs for him is a tad high no?

Still would consider it though...

orkid

Jun 25, 2014
Bad value for Ottawa. Why get Toronto involved when we could take Miller for ourselves?

VGK
2021 2nd Round (SJS)

OTT
David Clarkson
Colin Miller

Reactions: MisterT

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Replace the 2nd with a nhl ready player like borgman. Leafs wont be without either a 1st or a 2nd next year. If we end up getting a 2nd in a brown deal than I'd give up our 2nd.
Only in Leafs land can we get a top 4 RHD for a couple of AHLER and a 3rd round pick!

Reactions: qqaz and branch

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Only in Leafs land can we get a top 4 RHD for a couple of AHLER and a 3rd round pick!
A top 4 rhd who was often healthy scratched by the knights this season. They're a team in serious cap hell who need to move assets and fast.

Borgman is a NHL ready defender. Probably a bottom pairing LHD who has played half a season in the NHL in 17-18. The leafs LHD depth is far to strong for Borgman to get a realistic shot at establishing himself for more than a couple of stints in the future.
He is cheap and can play on the bottom pair for the knights also is a physical defender who could fit in well with the playstyle out west.

I'd do Borgman + 2021 leafs 3rd

Or 2020 2nd/2020 3rd(from a brown deal) and a 2021 3rd/4th(from the leafs)

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
A top 4 rhd who was often healthy scratched by the knights this season. They're a team in serious cap hell who need to move assets and fast.

Borgman is a NHL ready defender. Probably a bottom pairing LHD who has played half a season in the NHL in 17-18. The leafs LHD depth is far to strong for Borgman to get a realistic shot at establishing himself for more than a couple of stints in the future.
He is cheap and can play on the bottom pair for the knights also is a physical defender who could fit in well with the playstyle out west.

I'd do Borgman + 2021 leafs 3rd

Or 2020 2nd/2020 3rd(from a brown deal) and a 2021 3rd/4th(from the leafs)

Borgman is at best a 7th d-man in the NHL. You're not getting a top 4 RHD, even from a team in cap problems, w/out giving somethign significant in return. Borgman is a throw in in a deal, not the major piece you'd send back.

I do not see why TOR is actually in that deal... Ott could very well ask VGY for Miller + 2nd + Clarkson vs 3rd/4th pick (for example) and leave the TML out of it. They'd get a good trade chip (Miler) who'd prob fetcj 2 X 2nds at the TDL, and another 2nd in order to take on Clarkson contract... and BINGO, VGY is out of cap problems, OTT gets a couple of picks, and the Leafs are left with a sh*t defense as usual

Weiss1604

Mar 27, 2017
Wales
Ottawa gives up two seconds to get Clarkson and a 2nd? What sense does that make?

Ottawa gets the 2nd to take Clarkson. They shouldn’t have to give much back. AHL player, late pick, Ben Harpur. That kind of thing.
Ah i see something of little or no value , think they'd want more than a 2nd to take on that contract but i maybe wrong .

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Why ? They absolutely do not they are taking on the Clarkson contract . If you are being sarcastic i apologize.

Sigh, let me try this again. Ottawa HAS to give up something. That’s how trades work. You can’t acquire assets without giving up something. Now the something can be anything. It can be a late pick, bust prospect, career ahler. I’m not saying they should give up much, but they have to give something up in the deal.

Reactions: Weiss1604

Weiss1604

Mar 27, 2017
Wales
Sigh, let me try this again. Ottawa HAS to give up something. That’s how trades work. You can’t acquire assets without giving up something. Now the something can be anything. It can be a late pick, bust prospect, career ahler. I’m not saying they should give up much, but they have to give something up in the deal.
Gotcha & thanks , please don't sigh on my account lol . Clearly misinterpreted what you said , Future consideration would more than suffice.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Why ? They absolutely do not they are taking on the Clarkson contract . If you are being sarcastic i apologize.
They do simply for this trade to function. “Three way trades” are actually a series of different two way trades. Each trade must have something going both ways.

Reactions: Weiss1604

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
They do simply for this trade to function. “Three way trades” are actually a series of different two way trades. Each trade must have something going both ways.

Which is why the league initially rejected the three team trade between Ottawa, Pittsburgh and Vegas where Brassard went to Pittsburgh. Vegas wasn’t getting anything in the deal, so it was not approved. They had to re-work it where Vegas got something.

Reactions: qqaz and Weiss1604

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Decent attempt but how do the Leafs fit this in the cap? Who is gone from Marner, Kapenen, Johnson, Nylander, or Kadri? Cause one of them would need to go and this does not include Brown, Marleau, and Gardiner. Leafs won't run with a 19 or 20 man roster people.

Sens are cheap. Do you think they pay Clarkson and not place him on LTIR? Not sure if you noticed but if they place him on LTIR, they don't get to use the cap hit to reach the floor. Pretty sure the Sens would be after a contract that actually plays hockey for them.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Interesting how people keep forgetting the Leafs cannot take on any salary if they plan on resigning Marner?? As much as they need defensemen they simply don't have the cap space and this deal adds $3.2 million or so to their cap.

Also, if the Sens weren't willing to take on Marleau (who can still play if he must) for a 1st why would they take on Clarkson (who can't play) for a low 2nd, when the cap hit is only slightly less? They can probably squeeze more out of Vegas than that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad