Confirmed Trade: [TOR/VAN] Luke Schenn for 2023 3rd round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Engvall is better than Lafferty and ZAR, at minimum. If he was the guy in the press box, it's a mistake.
Better? quite possibly...

But he's much less "purposeful".

Engvall is a decent player, he's got good speed, a decent stick, a decent PKer, and can help break up plays in the D zone. But, he brings 0 energy and 0 physicality. By all accounts, the Leafs have guys who can kill penalties, and Lafferty & ZAR will help wear down an opposing team much moreso than an Engvall will. At the end of the day, there probably wasn't / isn't room for all 3 of Kerfoot, Engvall and Jarnkrok on this roster.

I'd also caution against the Engvall for Schenn narative, as it's not necessarily that simple.... Engvall makes $2.25m to Schenn's $850k. They needed to create space to bring Murray off LTIR.

Reactions: Kurtz and authentic

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
I also didn't like a 3rd for Big Save Dave. He sucked before the trade.

The people saying Schenn would get a 1st were always out to lunch. That's irrelevant.

The Schenn deal is effectively Engvall for Schenn. Now, I liked all of the rest of Dubas' TDLish moves. But this one is a downgrade for me. Engvall is a useful player. They moved him for a guy who's going to sit in the press box. If Schenn is in the lineup for a contender, things are not going well.
Except when he played in the playoffs for TB when they won 2 cups.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Good chance he re-signs with the canucks in the off season, free 3rd for a 2 month rental

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I watch probably half of all Leafs games. He's a useful player. Good speed, forecheck pressures, and depth scoring. He's one of the few Leafs bottom-six players who could transport the puck out of his end and into the opposition end. Which is why his partnership with Kampf has largely been successful in a defensive role. They start in the D-zone, and Engvall can move it out. The underlying numbers also reflect this. He has PK utility too.

I think it's clear most people are not really careful hockey watchers, if the main criticism is "he doesn't make big hit glass go boom"
I've always maintained that Pierre is/was all tools, no toolbox. He just hasn't made the progress. Speed to burn, size, a great shot(that he never uses) etc. But he plays small and most importantly, is a low IQ player. If he even had an average hockey IQ, he'd be a top 6 forward.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Yea dude he totally chose to take this deal over 1st rounders he was being offered right hahaha
The Canucks have never had this much picks before, the fans always wanted to do this. But some of them are crying that we should have kept him if he didnt fetch a 1st.

This could be the most properly valued 3rd round pick in league history. A 2nd was too much. A 4th wasn't enough.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Yea dude he totally chose to take this deal over 1st rounders he was being offered right hahaha

Part of me believes that it may have been just a little bit of a panic move by Vancouver.

With all of the action going on the East, and Ekholm, Chychrun, Gavrikov, Edmundson, and Jensen still out there... the Canucks may have been getting nervous that if they held onto their price too long, they could be holding the bag with nothing for him come deadline day.

I'm not saying the Canucks turned down a 2nd rounder for him to take a 3rd... simply that it was probably a case of the Canucks choosing to drop their price rather than the Leafs coming up.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Welcome back Luke.

It's been a long time, but this just feels right.

Engvall is better than Lafferty and ZAR, at minimum. If he was the guy in the press box, it's a mistake.

I like Engvall a lot. A lot of untapped potential still there as well, if he can figure out he's bigger and stronger than everyone else.

I think one of the keys for the Leafs to not undervalue is that cap-wise, moving Engvall lets you afford Lafferty, ZAR, and half another player on top (okay only 250K to spare but it sounds better when you exaggerate).

PuckFather

Oct 14, 2014
Vancouver has such a bad GM. Sold a good bottom pair RHD for peanuts.

Nice pick up here by Dubas. He has a nice day for his club. Schenn will be a player for them.
He is a rental and more than likely returns to Vancouver next season. The third round pick is the cherry on top

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
This is a legit concern of mine at this point now. Love all the moves so far. I just hope we're not seeing too much in and out.
How could there be too much "in and out"?

1677651661512.png

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Doesn't hit, Doesn't create offensively, is streaky defensively, very low complete level and struggles with board battles. He has several deficiencies. I have posted several times how he brought a unique set of positive traits that the Leafs had no reasonable replacement for and until Lafferty was acquired I would argue all day long that the Leafs cannot afford to deal him. But with Lafferty at 1.1 million less and signed for another year he is at least the same as Engvall. Add in Lafferty can take faceoffs and is right handed I am more than fine dealing him.

As for Schenn I am not expecting much from him. His two playoffs with the Lighting is 11 and 9 games for them with approx 9:00 min TOI but he does bring a big body that can be inserted into the lineup when both Tampa and Boston try to go really heavy against this Blue Line.
"Doesn't create offensively". Yet somehow Sam Lafferty, who's producing as much in his breakout season as Engvall is (with Lafftery having the benefit of an unsustainable shooting percentage) is the replacement. Again, hits, mean pretty much nothing in isolation.

It would be nice to have them both in the lineup, rather than a guy whose starting position is front row of the pressbox.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
"Doesn't create offensively". Yet somehow Sam Lafferty, who's producing as much in his breakout season as Engvall is (with Lafftery having the benefit of an unsustainable shooting percentage) is the replacement. Again, hits, mean pretty much nothing in isolation.

It would be nice to have them both in the lineup, rather than a guy whose starting position is front row of the pressbox.

You'll just have to trust us, Leaf fans, who've watched him for 4 years and wanted him gone for about that long, that he's not someone you want on your team if you're interested in winning.

Reactions: Canucks LB

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
True, the main criticism is that he's soft. Really, really, really soft.

The other less spoke about criticism is that he's a dud in the playoffs. Once the intensity ramps up he doesn't follow suit, he's the exact same, "Regular Season Engvall" (see above) and he's completely marginalized.
I get the criticisms. They're just mostly hollow. I mean, most of the Leafs roster have historically been playoff duds. Trade 'em all then. Engvall brought a skillset that the rest of the bottom-six don't really provide, with the now exception of Lafferty (who IMO is an inferior player overall).

And they've basically swapped him for a guy who will ideally be sitting in the pressbox.

Better? quite possibly...

But he's much less "purposeful".

Engvall is a decent player, he's got good speed, a decent stick, a decent PKer, and can help break up plays in the D zone. But, he brings 0 energy and 0 physicality. By all accounts, the Leafs have guys who can kill penalties, and Lafferty & ZAR will help wear down an opposing team much moreso than an Engvall will. At the end of the day, there probably wasn't / isn't room for all 3 of Kerfoot, Engvall and Jarnkrok on this roster.

I'd also caution against the Engvall for Schenn narative, as it's not necessarily that simple.... Engvall makes $2.25m to Schenn's $850k. They needed to create space to bring Murray off LTIR.
They could've kept them all and had the adequate space had they not brought on Schenn. So that Schenn can sit in the pressbox.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I like Engvall a lot. A lot of untapped potential still there as well, if he can figure out he's bigger and stronger than everyone else.

I think one of the keys for the Leafs to not undervalue is that cap-wise, moving Engvall lets you afford Lafferty, ZAR, and half another player on top (okay only 250K to spare but it sounds better when you exaggerate).
They could make it work with all of them had they not brought on Schenn.

You'll just have to trust us, Leaf fans, who've watched him for 4 years and wanted him gone for about that long, that he's not someone you want on your team if you're interested in winning.
I'd take him on any of the teams I support, which include the Leafs. He's a useful role player. I've watched him and the Leafs a ton over the years, including every single playoff game.

Colorado is gonna sign him for a bargain contract in the offseason, he'll be good for them, and the new consensus will be wow, how does Colorado keep finding these guys?

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
They could've kept them all and had the adequate space had they not brought on Schenn. So that Schenn can sit in the pressbox.
I don't believe they had space to sign Knies with Engvall on the roster and Murray back.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
They could make it work with all of them had they not brought on Schenn.

I'd take him on any of the teams I support, which include the Leafs. He's a useful role player. I've watched him and the Leafs a ton over the years, including every single playoff game.

Colorado is gonna sign him for a bargain contract in the offseason, he'll be good for them, and the new consensus will be wow, how does Colorado keep finding these guys?

I can't for the life of me imagine what would have impressed you about Engvall in those 17 scoreless playoff games you'd have seen him in. Yes, he skates well with the puck and without, but you'd never observe him going to the tough areas you want your guys to skate into during playoff games. In fact, you'd struggle to find him at all, unless you'd make it a point to watch him.

Colorado took Malgin from us this year, and I wouldn't say they turned him into gold. They've hit on a couple of guys, but they're not magicians. But if they do - good on them, Engvall is a nice guy (far, far too nice), no one is rooting against him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad