Confirmed with Link: TOR sign Jason Spezza to a 1 year, 700K deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I think Babs is going to pick Shore over Spezza (Due to PK abilities alone) when Hyman/Dermott come back. I don't think Spezza makes it into November as long as babs is around

Reactions: Twowingcantfly

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Examine the stats my friend. Marleau has been by far a better player than Tavares will ever be. Still scratching my head over this JT signing. He is too slow, and have too many holes in his game for his offence to make a difference. As for Spezza. His best days are behind him, and of no use to Babcock.
Ever is not today last I check players of that level of excellence only brag about cups not points. Your not off on the Spezza signing but I'm sure if they don't use him like aggressively he will be fine in his limited role.

Reactions: Twowingcantfly

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Marleau >>>>>> Spezza. But so what? Marleau obviously didn't want to return.

The Spezza experiment looks destined to end early. He seems entirely unsuited to the role of a 4th liner. Safe plays are not what he instinctively does. He doesn't participate in a forechecking cycle. He can win a high percentage of faceoffs in the defensive zone but he's a defensive liability otherwise. He's lost so much foot speed that any defender can just simply close space on him so there's no chance he can use those passing, shooting and stick handling skills he still possesses.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I think Spezza would do very good on a team that has centermen who can PK. He's still good enough offensively and in the faceoff dot that he can hold a fourth line role, its just not what we need here unfortunately (since a lot of the stars here are offense first and not very defensive). He doesn't suck like many posters are saying, he's just not necessarily a fit here, where we need lower end guys to PK and play in a lot of defensive zone situations. I wonder if they could get anything for him in a trade? (Maybe a pick?)

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

The Spezza experiment looks destined to end early. He seems entirely unsuited to the role of a 4th liner. Safe plays are not what he instinctively does. He doesn't participate in a forechecking cycle. He can win a high percentage of faceoffs in the defensive zone but he's a defensive liability otherwise. He's lost so much foot speed that any defender can just simply close space on him so there's no chance he can use those passing, shooting and stick handling skills he still possesses.

Think of him as extra insurance incase one ofnthe other Leafs centers goes down. Obviously they wont want to split up Matthew's and Nylander gi en how amazing they look together, and the GOAT cant play 3c.

Theyll keep giving Spezza the odd game to keep him loose in case they really need.him later.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Jason Spezza has been outstanding in the limited icetime he's received. Dominant, actually.

Screen Shot 2019-10-12 at 1.58.04 PM.png

Reactions: Menzinger

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005

He was never fast and at 36 he's a liability, always have a soft spot for vets but in this case have to take the Team first.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Think of him as extra insurance incase one ofnthe other Leafs centers goes down. Obviously they wont want to split up Matthew's and Nylander gi en how amazing they look together, and the GOAT cant play 3c.

Theyll keep giving Spezza the odd game to keep him loose in case they really need.him later.

I get your point but if Matthews or Tavares go down, it's Nylander who becomes a top 3 center not Spezza. Spezza's here for the 4th line. I'm disappointed with how he has adapted to the role.

BTW if you think I don't want this to work out, I suggested this signing a month before it happened:

I wonder if hometown boy Jason Spezza could re-invent himself into a role player (4th line center). Or is Spezza just finished?

JustAShadow, Jun 2, 2019

Reactions: Polaris1010
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad