Confirmed with Link: TOR re-signs RHD Justin Holl (2 x 675K)

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!!!! That is a sweeeet deal.

$675K promising dman could be quite valuable next year.

I think Holl just bought himself a few call-ups this season. If they can make him an actual roster player next year, that contract will be amazing.

I'm expecting more sweetheart deals! It's a reverse fire sale - players are throwing money back at us

good deal

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
are we seeing the fruits of the rabid fandom here being used to a greater cause,, then just stuffing money into the pockets of the owners?

1 way deal, thats pretty generous.:thumbu:

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Generously paid to become part of the new vet core for the marlies. With Ben Smith signing in the DEL it wouldn't surprise me if he becomes the next marlies captain. A one way deal ensures he gets the entire 650K per. Its an offer he couldn't refuse seeing as no other team in the league would do this.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Really like this signing, cheap and easy to bury if it doesn’t work out. Dubas is supposedly a big fan of the guy and he didn’t overpay so he gets points for that as well.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Think of what a big deal this is for Holl. He's 26 years old now, he didn't get an ELC until he was 24. He's getting NHL money for 2 years regardless of playing in the league. Even if he hits that ceiling he's made some actual money to save from his hockey career. Good for him.

This is how the Leafs/Marlies are becoming a destination of choice for these AHLers. Next year there will be about 8 Marlies on 1 way NHL deals. I doubt any other organization will have this many AHLers on 1 ways. Plus they have an unprecedented number of players on AHL contracts. You can almost guarantee that the league will do something about this in the next CBA.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Think of what a big deal this is for Holl. He's 26 years old now, he didn't get an ELC until he was 24. He's getting NHL money for 2 years regardless of playing in the league. Even if he hits that ceiling he's made some actual money to save from his hockey career. Good for him.

This is how the Leafs/Marlies are becoming a destination of choice for these AHLers. Next year there will be about 8 Marlies on 1 way NHL deals. I doubt any other organization will have this many AHLers on 1 ways. Plus they have an unprecedented number of players on AHL contracts. You can almost guarantee that the league will do something about this in the next CBA.

The Marlies budget is probably higher now than most Euro teams now and probably a handful of KHL teams to boot.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
I thought Holl looked good in his short stint last year. Love this deal and happy to see Leafs really flexing their financial muscle.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Does anyone think he gets picked off waivers by a team if Ozhiganov beats him out for that #6 spot?

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Looks like he is in the nhl unless he has a bad camp.

It’s like keeping Leivo up; even though Kapanen was better, he was sent down because of his contract.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I want to see this kid get a real chance this season.

If someone could slip him some Polak-tiger blood and some mean pills, it would be great!

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Does anyone think he gets picked off waivers by a team if Ozhiganov beats him out for that #6 spot?

Not sure Holl makes the top six, but I think he'll stay on as the 7th or 8th D, so I don't see waivers being a factor.

Reactions: cannucky

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Hope he makes the most of it in camp and that Babs gives him an honest look. Lou compared him to Brian Rafalski, likely because of the late bloomer comparison,but still!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad