Trade: [TOR/POR] Norman Powell for Gary Trent and Rodney Hood

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I had hoped for at least a pick...
But it makes sense for the Raptors.

Trent is basically a younger Powell...
But also a legitimate 3-and-D guy...
And his cap hold is only slightly above 2 million.
It gives the Raptors even more cap room now.

Hood is just cap filler.
This trade is basically Trent for Powell.
Portland definitely valued Trent highly.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I don't really understand this trade. Powell is having a great season and does more right now but Trent is just as good of a shooter, a better defender, and five years younger. Both guys will be free agents this summer and will get paid but Trent is restricted so you can match his offer if you can't agree to terms. I guess the Blazers don't want to pay Trent this summer and want the upgrade for this year's playoffs but I don't think the difference in Powell vs. Trent is going to push them over the top. This looks like a great trade for the Raptors.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
I don't really understand this trade. Powell is having a great season and does more right now but Trent is just as good of a shooter, a better defender, and five years younger. Both guys will be free agents this summer and will get paid but Trent is restricted so you can match his offer if you can't agree to terms. I guess the Blazers don't want to pay Trent this summer and want the upgrade for this year's playoffs but I don't think the difference in Powell vs. Trent is going to push them over the top. This looks like a great trade for the Raptors.

Powell looks to be a more polished (and better) version of Trent and clearly the Blazers would prefer to make upgrades wherever it can without it costing too much and this seemed to be a good opportunity to do so.

The Blazers will hold Powell's bird rights this off-season and will be able to offer him more than anyone else can. They must think they have a solid chance at re-signing Powell.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Solid enough deal for the Raptors but I think Trent is being a bit overrated here. Not saying I expected a bigger return, but they're heavily banking on Trent to be the real deal in this one. Would've thought a pick and /or another young player with upside would be involved as "insurance" but I can't complain.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Solid enough deal for the Raptors but I think Trent is being a bit overrated here. Not saying I expected a bigger return, but they're heavily banking on Trent to be the real deal in this one. Would've thought a pick and /or another young player with upside would be involved as "insurance" but I can't complain.

Trent fits in pretty perfectly into Powell's role and they might be able to keep him while also being able to land another max player in the off-season. I don't see any other combination of a young player + pick that better positions the team to re-tool for 2022. Trent is a great return for someone that the Raps had to trade.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
I don't like it at all for the Blazers. Powell is a pure scorer, we're fine on that. Trent could be a better utility player, we don't know his ceiling yet

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I don't like it at all for the Blazers. Powell is a pure scorer, we're fine on that. Trent could be a better utility player, we don't know his ceiling yet

He is a great fit besides Dame and CJ.
Blazers pretty much decided to abandon defense for all offense.
:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad