Confirmed Trade: [TOR/PIT] Jared McCann for Filip Hallander and 2023 7th round pick

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
Seattle is going to take McCann now and not Kerfoot.

I was actually thinking about this last night. I think Hextall made this trade assuming Seattle is going to take Zucker if McCann is gone, and I think Dubas makes the trade to insulate his roster from the ED.

Plus if Seattle takes Zucker that opens up the Pens to possibly go after a big name UFA winger. I didn't like the value at the first, but if the bigger picture plays out the way I see it, I'm fine with losing McCann for a decent prospect.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I was actually thinking about this last night. I think Hextall made this trade assuming Seattle is going to take Zucker if McCann is gone, and I think Dubas makes the trade to insulate his roster from the ED.

Plus if Seattle takes Zucker that opens up the Pens to possibly go after a big name UFA winger. I didn't like the value at the first, but if the bigger picture plays out the way I see it, I'm fine with losing McCann for a decent prospect.

It makes sense for both teams, assuming Seattle takes Zucker.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Here's what I'm struggling with....

Going into the offseason, it seems/seemed likely that Kerfoot needed to go because of cap reasons.
- I don't know if Jared McCann is a better player than Kerfoot, but it certainly seems debatable.
- I don't know if clearing $550k in cap was enough for what the Leafs need to do elsewhere on the roster, but certainly seems like it would have helped.

So what are the realistic possible outcomes here?
1. Hope that Seattle just REALLY likes Kerfoot? and doesn't do something to "spite" the Leafs considering they could have had both Kerfoot & McCann.

2. Make a side-deal with Seattle to make them take Kerfoot? Apparently the prices they've wanted for side deals have been huge.

3. Have Seattle take McCann, and then end up having not solved any issues, while being down Hallander? Seems to me like the Leafs would have been better off with $3.5m in cap space and Hallander to go out and find a #3 centre this offseason, than they would be with Kerfoot on the roster...

Even if Option 1 or 2 end up happening... is McCann really the 3rd line centre this team needs?

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
Or you guys could have made the trade after the expansion and kept the better player.

McCan>kerfoot

But you don't make that trade after the ED. He is not available as he is most likely taken by Seattle. Pittsburgh is doing this deal to get some assets for him and hoping they lose a player like Zucker in the ED draft. They need to clear cap.
As for the Leafs losing McCann gives them more cap space and also gives them the ability to trade Kerfoot after July 1st when his signing bonus is paid and all he is owed is 750k. For teams tanking they want cap hit more then actual dollars owed. Now that I have looked at this move it would not surprise me at all if both McCann and Kerfoot are not on the roster after July 1st.

Reactions: Budz

Zahra Starker

Mar 3, 2020
Toronto
But you don't make that trade after the ED. He is not available as he is most likely taken by Seattle. Pittsburgh is doing this deal to get some assets for him and hoping they lose a player like Zucker in the ED draft. They need to clear cap.
As for the Leafs losing McCann gives them more cap space and also gives them the ability to trade Kerfoot after July 1st when his signing bonus is paid and all he is owed is 750k. For teams tanking they want cap hit more then actual dollars owed. Now that I have looked at this move it would not surprise me at all if both McCann and Kerfoot are not on the roster after July 1st.

Why would a tanking team trade for kerfoot? If he's a good player a tanking team wouldn't wanna trade for kerfoot if he isn't then the leafs aren't gonna get good assets in return. Either 1 or the other.

I could see toronto paying a small price for the kraken to select kerfoot instead of mccan. Seattle could then flip him at 50%

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010

Yeah, though I think Seattle may end up taking Tanev (which isn't the worst thing for Pittsburgh either, though leaves them with a gap in quality third line talent).

I'm a big fan of this trade from Toronto's perspective, and it may work out from Pittsburgh's perspective.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
Why would a tanking team trade for kerfoot? If he's a good player a tanking team wouldn't wanna trade for kerfoot if he isn't then the leafs aren't gonna get good assets in return. Either 1 or the other.

I could see toronto paying a small price for the kraken to select kerfoot instead of mccan. Seattle could then flip him at 50%

It is not that he is a "good" asset as much as he is a cheap asset. Also even tanking teams need to fill out your roster. How competitive do you think a team is with Kerfoot as their 2C or god forbid 1C. Then the team that gets him moves him in the next offseason for assets when he costs real dollars again. We see this all the time. People talk about Kerfoot like he is not an NHL center when he is. The real issue is he a 3C on a contending team. I think most people think he is not.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019

Hahah doesn't anyone listen ??? No GM was taking zucker ....zero ..not happening. We knew this 2 months ago if hextall made this trade thinking Zucker was going, he is dumb. Draft cost penguins 2 top 9 forwards and they got a prospect back amd cap space they need to fill the goaltending hole..dubas ensures it cost Toronto nothing off their roster...

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I don't follow leafs prospects so how good is Hallander? I see people laughing at the leafs for this deal but I thought it wasn't that terrible of a move, they basically didn't lose a roster player at a cost of a recent (late) 2nd rounder

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
I don't follow leafs prospects so how good is Hallander? I see people laughing at the leafs for this deal but I thought it wasn't that terrible of a move, they basically didn't lose a roster player at a cost of a recent (late) 2nd rounder

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Hahah doesn't anyone listen ??? No GM was taking zucker ....zero ..not happening. We knew this 2 months ago if hextall made this trade thinking Zucker was going, he is dumb. Draft cost penguins 2 top 9 forwards and they got a prospect back amd cap space they need to fill the goaltending hole..dubas ensures it cost Toronto nothing off their roster...
If he wanted to force Seattle to take a bad contract he needed to dump Zar for a pick and have Carter threaten retirement. Then he would expose Zucker Tristan Matheson petts. However since he didn’t they we’re gonna take one of Carter or Mccan so in order to protect Carter he dumped Mccan

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

Decent but unspectacular, B/C level prospect who has a high floor and low ceiling. Likely makes it as a solid 3rd line winger.

Reactions: uncleben

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
If he wanted to force Seattle to take a bad contract he needed to dump Zar for a pick and have Carter threaten retirement. Then he would expose Zucker Tristan Matheson petts. However since he didn’t they we’re gonna take one of Carter or Mccan so in order to protect Carter he dumped Mccan
. He could have protected Carter or anyone he wanted and still sent McCann packing for an asset. Nothing against hallander but McCann would have easily fetched a roster player or a decent pick...hextall had zero power to force a contract on Seattle and then they took another top 9 forward and pitt is left with no replacement. Dubas saw what was coming and protected his roster smarty if hextalll didn't want McCann so be it but give away assets for nothing especially to a conference rival...nobody forced hextall to give McCann away for nothing and now they have gaping holes to fill

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Hallandar was good enough to play for Team Sweden at the Worlds this spring on a team with NHL'ers Rakell, Olofsson, and Kempe. At age 20. Considering this, he's not a bad prospect.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
. He could have protected Carter or anyone he wanted and still sent McCann packing for an asset. Nothing against hallander but McCann would have easily fetched a roster player or a decent pick...hextall had zero power to force a contract on Seattle and then they took another top 9 forward and pitt is left with no replacement. Dubas saw what was coming and protected his roster smarty if hextalll didn't want McCann so be it but give away assets for nothing especially to a conference rival...nobody forced hextall to give McCann away for nothing and now they have gaping holes to fill
No Seattle made it clear they were taking Mccan Carter since the center depth available for the expansion draft was weak. He chose Carter so he dumped Mccan and lost tanev for a guy whose only gonna be in Pittsburgh for this next season

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
No Seattle made it clear they were taking Mccan Carter since the center depth available for the expansion draft was weak. He chose Carter so he dumped Mccan and lost tanev for a guy whose only gonna be in Pittsburgh for this next season
Incorrect. They were eyeing McCann because why ??? He put up points and signed to a good deal...they were not taking Carter for anything...penguins didn't clue in that they could have actually got a good asset for McCann and not lose for basically nothing. You dont dump a young quality winger who just put up 14 goals and 32 points in only 43 games... thats more than zucker by a mile ..pens are rumored to have interest in Kassian. They could have straight up swapped and still lost either tanev or Kassian and kept some grit depth. Stupid move by hextall who now claims the penguins may not spend on any free agents.. so this team goes into next season without 2 of its top 9 forwards, one of the softest teams in the NHL, no upgrade in net, and still playing jason zucker and basically no third line.....

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: