Confirmed Trade: [TOR/OTT] Max Veronneau for Aaron Luchuk and cond. 2021 6th round pick

LucicAndChong

formerly known as Big Sugar
Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
I'm assuming that either a) these are just marlies players and nothing more or b) these are supposed to be bottom 6 players for us when we trade someone who is in our bottom 6

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I would have rather moved him to FLA for Denis Malgin.

This is perfectly fine. I doubt he had a lot of value. If he did ask for a trade, good for the Senators for accommodating. It was pretty clear he wasn't getting time in Belleville and it's probably good policy to not dick around with a guy who chose your team as a College UFA. At least it shows future College UFAs that the Sens will take care of you and do the right thing for your development even if it comes at their own expense.

It is kind of funny though that we keep trading these hometown kids to the Leafs. First Ceci, now Veronneau.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I'm assuming that either a) these are just marlies players and nothing more or b) these are supposed to be bottom 6 players for us when we trade someone who is in our bottom 6

Veronneau is a C level prospect. Speedy 3rd or 4th liner would be his ceiling. He was lost in the shuffle in Belleville. The Senators have a lot of forward depth. He was a heavily recruited College Free Agent who chose Ottawa. Being from Ottawa probably played a big part in him choosing them. They also gave him some time in the NHL last year, which I imagine was part of the recruitment pitch.

It was made known a week or so ago that he was available via trade. It has never been reported that he asked for a trade, but a lot of people have made that assumption based on his usage in the AHL. It really doesn't matter either way. The trade was probably the right thing for both sides. The Senators might get an asset out of it, and Veronneau goes somewhere else.

Luchuk coming over is probably just a contract dump. The Leafs were at 49/50 contracts.

I guess a big consequence of this trade is that the Senators are helping an AHL rival. That's probably not good.

Reactions: uncleben

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad