Proposal: [TOR/NYI]

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Jake Gardiner + for Calvin De Haan +

Jake Gardiner is signed for next year aswell and DeHaan expires this year, so the Leafs would need a pre-arranged extension in place. What does either team add in terms of prospects and/or picks to balance out the value?

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
If there is an extension it would have to be de haan for gardiner++. Both teams would not do it because leafs don't wanna give up ++ on gardiner and isles don't wanna give up de haan if he is willing to sign an extension.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
If there is an extension it would have to be de haan for gardiner++. Both teams would not do it because leafs don't wanna give up ++ on gardiner and isles don't wanna give up de haan if he is willing to sign an extension.
I would quite easily give Gardiner + for De Haan. We coulf use a more reliable guy like him to stabilize things back there. Not saying Gardiner is bad, but he can be a little too creative at times.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Before Bettman said the cap was rising,possibly by as much as $8m,I was expecting De Haan to leave.

He expressed disappointment at not getting a multi year extension and Staple indicated that the nyi did not want to meet his $5m per demand. Isles have a bunch of cheap kids pushing from the AHL for spots.

Isles are the ones who have balked at the extension. It will be interesting to see if Bettman"s news makes any difference.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I don't see the Isles messing with things. I also don't see Gardiner's play this season doing anything but lowering his value. My hope is that Jake removes his cranium from his rectum really soon.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Leafs would (IMO) only want move Gardiner plus for Leddy, if we're looking at NYI defensemen. I suppose De Haan (extended) plus could work, but I'm not really a fan of it. Depends what Lamiorello thinks.

NYI wouldn't have interest in moving Leddy anyways.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Leafs would (IMO) only want move Gardiner plus for Leddy, if we're looking at NYI defensemen. I suppose De Haan (extended) plus could work, but I'm not really a fan of it. Depends what Lamiorello thinks.

You are right. NYI would have zero interest moving 26 yr old Leddy, in a major downgrade on D for Gardiner+ some sweeteners.

Last edited:

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida

trading our number one for parts we don't need? where can i sign up.

Reactions: IODCPiper

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
trading our number one for parts we don't need? where can i sign up.
Nobody proposed that.

I explained what is a good idea and bad idea for the Leafs based on their needs, and then I clearly said Gardiner plus for Leddy was something the Islanders wouldn't want to do.

Reading comprehension. It's a real thing.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

With the Leafs struggles at defense, I really don't think you can play the "nobody except your best defenseman is interesting to us" game.

Reactions: IODCPiper

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Zero point in the Islanders doing this. I'd be interested in Bozak for a mid-round pick.
As a TOR fan looking at the NYI roster, where would you put Bozak in your line up?

Lee Tavares Bailey
Ladd Barzal Eberle
Nelson Beauvillier Ho-Sang
Chimera (Cizikas) Clutterbuck
(Prince) Quine (Kulemin)

The only things I can come up with is to demote Ho-Sang to AHL and put Beauvillier on the wingn or maybe demote Beauvillier to AHL.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
With the Leafs struggles at defense, I really don't think you can play the "nobody except your best defenseman is interesting to us" game.
We aren't really interested in trading any of Rielly Gardiner Zaitsev unless we are upgrading the D. We need to improve on one of those three, or we need to augment those three with a fourth guy. Or both.

Looking at the NYI, I'm not sure anybody would be a clear upgrade except Leddy. Which - let me be clear here - NYI will not trade for Gardiner. Boychuk is a no go (age contract).

We might have interest in adding De Haan as a fourth guy. NYI are doing so well right now though, that it seems unlikely that they would trade De Haan out and downgrade their lineup.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I don't quite understand, why folks constantly think the Leafs have struggles on defence. Since they are outscoring other teams, maybe it's the other teams are having defence problems.
Yes the Leafs, could use Dmen (couldn't 30 other teams?) especially to replace either Carrick or Polak.
It's kinda foolish to think that the Leafs could acquire a few very competent Dmen, without giving up other pieces that would weaken their lineup now.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
As a TOR fan looking at the NYI roster, where would you put Bozak in your line up?

Lee Tavares Bailey
Ladd Barzal Eberle
(Prince) Quine (Kulemin)

The only things I can come up with is to demote Ho-Sang to AHL and put Beauvillier on the wingn or maybe demote Beauvillier to AHL.

The idea would be to trade Nelson for a defenseman and Beauvillier and Ho-Sang would be on Bozak's wing.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
We aren't really interested in trading any of Rielly Gardiner Zaitsev unless we are upgrading the D. We need to improve on one of those three, or we need to augment those three with a fourth guy. Or both.

Looking at the NYI, I'm not sure anybody would be a clear upgrade except Leddy. Which - let me be clear here - NYI will not trade for Gardiner. Boychuk is a no go (age contract).

We might have interest in adding De Haan as a fourth guy. NYI are doing so well right now though, that it seems unlikely that they would trade De Haan out and downgrade their lineup.

My mistake, I thought you were saying "nobody except your best defenseman is interesting to us" as opposed to "we're not trading Gardiner unless an upgrade like Leddy is coming back".

steveat

Jun 4, 2011

Lee Tavares Bailey
Ladd Barzal Eberle
(Prince) Quine (Kulemin)

IF Bozak were to come to the Island, he'd probably take 3rd line duties and send Ho-Sang down only because Ho-Sang is the only player on the team right now that can be sent down without having to be waived.

Beau and Prince/Nelson would most likely take Bozak's wing.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Nobody proposed that.

I explained what is a good idea and bad idea for the Leafs based on their needs, and then I clearly said Gardiner plus for Leddy was something the Islanders wouldn't want to do.

Nobody proposed that.

no you said this:

"Leafs would (IMO) only want move Gardiner plus for Leddy, if we're looking at NYI defensemen. I suppose De Haan (extended) plus could work, but I'm not really a fan of it. Depends what Lamiorello thinks.

NYI wouldn't have interest in moving Leddy anyways."

considering its generally accepted that Dehaan is better than Gardiner, even by Toronto fans, your post makes no sense

IODCPiper

Jan 26, 2016
Jake Gardiner + for Calvin De Haan +

Jake Gardiner is signed for next year aswell and DeHaan expires this year, so the Leafs would need a pre-arranged extension in place. What does either team add in terms of prospects and/or picks to balance out the value?
Isles should try to pry kadri away

IODCPiper

Jan 26, 2016
IF Bozak were to come to the Island, he'd probably take 3rd line duties and send Ho-Sang down only because Ho-Sang is the only player on the team right now that can be sent down without having to be waived.

Beau and Prince/Nelson would most likely take Bozak's wing.
72 also

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Bozak is not a faceoffs/PK guy. He's not what NYI need.

NYI and TOR don't seem like good trading partners.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad