Proposal: TOR-NJ

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
TOR: PK Subban@6M
NJ: Kapanen, Ceci (Cap Dump), Conditional 2nd (Make the 2nd rd 2nd, If they don't its a 3rd)

Toronto is starting to play up to their abilities under Keefe. Time to go big or go home. PK is having a pretty bad season and devils might make him available if they trade hall. He should bounce back with more talent around him. Devils need more young talent upfront to play alongside hughes/hischier and Kap would fit in well in the top 6

this would also allow the leafs to either roll a 23 man roster even with johnsson back off LTIR, or run with 22 guys after trading for a backup upgrade (DeSmith? Miller? )

Rielly-Barrie
Muzzin-Subban
Dermott-Holl

Reactions: MichaelJ

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I think Subban is perfect for Toronto, but I don't see NJ retaining that much. There's really no incentive for them.

I guess the incentive here is that Subban + Kapanen costs them 6.2 mil for the next 2 seasons whereas Subban would cost 9million if he stays. Have to think if they can get out from the contract and get a decent young piece they will consider...subban 5pts and -15 in 30 games is downright shocking for a guy that talented

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

Blueboy

Apr 15, 2019
Not sure if I want to use assets on an expensive dman who is struggling.

Toronto can’t afford to risk Subban not bouncing back.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I think Subban is perfect for Toronto, but I don't see NJ retaining that much. There's really no incentive for them.
Make the 2nd solid without conditions and I think it works. I was considering something around Vatanen before this idea, but Devs may want to extend him. If they don't (does not want to resign) he too should be moved with 50 off!

Reactions: simon IC

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
I wouldn't touch Subban this year. He's been really bad. I also doubt NJ retains, they have no real reason to right now.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Leafs need another Tyson Barrie but who is already solidly in the decline? I don't think so. No interest at all in Subban. That ship sailed a few years ago. If a package is being put together it should be for someone in the Pesce mold (that ship has also sailed).

Reactions: teddygmr

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
NJ: Kapanen, Ceci (Cap Dump), Conditional 2nd (Make the 2nd rd 2nd, If they don't its a 3rd)

Toronto is starting to play up to their abilities under Keefe. Time to go big or go home. PK is having a pretty bad season and devils might make him available if they trade hall. He should bounce back with more talent around him. Devils need more young talent upfront to play alongside hughes/hischier and Kap would fit in well in the top 6

this would also allow the leafs to either roll a 23 man roster even with johnsson back off LTIR, or run with 22 guys after trading for a backup upgrade (DeSmith? Miller? )

Rielly-Barrie
Muzzin-Subban
Dermott-Holl

Sold!

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Subban is the opposite of what the Leafs need.

finding a shiny top pairing defenseman without warts is pretty much impossible unless you draft them.

a couple of draft picks and a a 3rd line winger is a gamble worth taking imo for a local defenseman who might be able to find his mojo in Toronto.

johnsson-matthews-nylander
mickeyev-tavares-marner
hyman-kerfoot-moore
engvall-goat-spezza/timashov

rielly-subban
muzzin-barrie
dermott-ceci

imo this looks much better.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
No thanks. I’d love to see Subban in a Leafs jersey some day, but probably in a similar situation to Shattenkirk in the Lightning this year. I don’t want to pay Kapanen for him today, and more importantly we need those dollars to re sign Barrie or Muzzin.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013

Rielly-Barrie
Muzzin-Subban
Dermott-Holl

So Devils retain $3M? Done.

Reactions: Billdo

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Unless NJ retains 50% of Subban, I don't see the Leafs considering any deal involving PK. $4.5 for 2.5 seasons is a lot to ask a team to retain, so even if they were willing, not sure Leafs would be able to send something enticing enough. I would not send Kapanen, for example. Expiring Ceci contract + prospect + pick is about the only sensible thing from the Leafs POV, and I highly doubt Shero would even consider dumping an asset for essentially nothing plus retaining at the level for 2 more seasons beyond this.
TL;DR - the Subban dream is over in Toronto for the foreseeable future.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto

Rielly-Barrie
Muzzin-Subban
Dermott-Holl

HF Boards strip this guy of his avatar, you want to trade for a 6 million dollar a year defenceman who has 5 points this year. He has fallen off a Cliff and two GM have traded him in the past 4 years and this is your idea to make the TML better....

Not to mention we trade one of our best young forwards signed to a very reasonable contract.

Booo Halla Booo

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
I guess the incentive here is that Subban + Kapanen costs them 6.2 mil for the next 2 seasons whereas Subban would cost 9million if he stays. Have to think if they can get out from the contract and get a decent young piece they will consider...subban 5pts and -15 in 30 games is downright shocking for a guy that talented
You forgot to add Ceci to that.

patriotfan

Jun 8, 2014

Rielly-Barrie
Muzzin-Subban
Dermott-Holl
yes that would've been good about 3 years ago, but do you really need another 9 plus million dollar player in this lineup without moving one out, keep trying to move 4 to 5 mill players and getting 9 plus players in this lineup doesn't add up, as you know the cap issue going forward, yeah I hear your saying move a couple making 4 or so but you still need to fill your lineup...well

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
finding a shiny top pairing defenseman without warts is pretty much impossible unless you draft them.

a couple of draft picks and a a 3rd line winger is a gamble worth taking imo for a local defenseman who might be able to find his mojo in Toronto.

johnsson-matthews-nylander
mickeyev-tavares-marner
hyman-kerfoot-moore
engvall-goat-spezza/timashov

rielly-subban
muzzin-barrie
dermott-ceci

imo this looks much better.

Replace Ceci with Holl and its the best D core the leafs have had since Sundin was around.
It's a gamble that he bounces back but he also mitigates the potential loss of one of muzzin/barrie next year (or both).

30 games ago if this deal was made everyone would be calling Dubas a hero lol

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
yes that would've been good about 3 years ago, but do you really need another 9 plus million dollar player in this lineup without moving one out, keep trying to move 4 to 5 mill players and getting 9 plus players in this lineup doesn't add up, as you know the cap issue going forward, yeah I hear your saying move a couple making 4 or so but you still need to fill your lineup...well

Did you actually read the proposal? Subban would come in at 1.5 mil more than Ceci....
cap is also going up by 3-4 mil most likely so there is that. more than enough to keep one of muzzin/barrie and bring up the kids next year.

Rielly-Subban
Muzzin-Dermott
Sandin-Holl
*Liljegren

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
No thanks. I’d love to see Subban in a Leafs jersey some day, but probably in a similar situation to Shattenkirk in the Lightning this year. I don’t want to pay Kapanen for him today, and more importantly we need those dollars to re sign Barrie or Muzzin.

this only adds 2.8 to the cap next year, and the cap will go up more than that. Should easily be enough $$$ next year to bring back one of those guys

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00