Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Matt Martin (4 years, $2.5M AAV)

member 157595

His type won't win you a championship but it's hard to win championships without players willing to do the work he does. I believe he'll be a good addition.

We're nowhere near a championship, and he'll provide valuable support to the youngins while we grow.

We gave him too much for too long, but I like the player.

Raymoondo

Leafs Cup 2021
Apr 9, 2013
Toronto
I don't use facebook so I'll take your word for it, what's going to happen next year, Leafs finish in the bottom five of the league.

Anything else?

2.5 million for a stiff that plays 5 minutes a game....

Well I mean, if this minor signing is enough to make the Leafs finish in the bottom five in the league...

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
Crazy idea but maybe they signed the league-leader in hits to complement Babcock's forecheck-heavy offensive gameplan and don't intend on playing him 5 minutes a night.

But no of course, you guys are right, he's just here to fight Weber apparently.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Hahahahha same old Leafs.

Vancouver is a team spinning their wheels in mud with a buffoon for a GM. Good luck.

I love the Leaf fans that said you can't give Stamkos 10 million per, you can't overpay him by 2 million a year....

This is the garbage you get otherwise, overpaying 4th liners, this summer has sucked, Andersen was handed too much term, every draft pick not named Matthews was brutal and Matt Martin is Colton Orr 2.0.

The honeymoon is ending with this management.

"I didn't recognize those names from the hockeynews article I read, so they must be awful."

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
so when 5 foot 11 165 lbs mitch marner gets plastered by weber It ll be up to matt martin to go up to weber n tell him he can t do that

No absolutely not. Martin would take a legal but heavy run at Weber's defense partner on the next shift. Then take Weber off the ice for retaliating after the fact. That's more Matt Martin's style.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
If I were a betting man,I'd wager leafs management predicts that the Leafs will finish around where they did this year. Adding more talented youngsters to the stable while the less important contracts, such as Hunwick, Polak, expire. Martin seems to be the next in line after guys like Winnik, mcclement, etc.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
If I were a betting man,I'd wager leafs management predicts that the Leafs will finish around where they did this year. Adding more talented youngsters to the stable while the less important contracts, such as Hunwick, Polak, expire. Martin seems to be the next in line after guys like Winnik, mcclement, etc.

I'd imagine they're prepared for it.
Its a development year so expectations should be on the lower side. They'll want to see steady improvement once some chemistry is developed which might take awhile with so many young guys and such a high turnover in general.
Moving up 5 spots is probably the expectation.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
Sounds like a Don Cherry signing. Leafs still lacking a sense of direction. :shakehead

Desperation to support an agenda. He's a 4th liner and doesn't exactly support the theory of abandoning the rebuild. How on earth does this signing show a lack of direction?

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
A mistake is a mistake, regardless of who else you have.

I just don't understand how Rogers/Bell having 2.5 less million hurts the Leafs in anyway

The deal will be done when it's playoff making time

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Crazy idea but maybe they signed the league-leader in hits to complement Babcock's forecheck-heavy offensive gameplan and don't intend on playing him 5 minutes a night.

Well said

That's today's NHL

Combination of two things,

slow rebound from the back diving deals artificially deflating contracts league wide (and fan perception of value) by limiting the cap hits of the stars as a comparable baseline-

people that don't realize that role is not the sole determinant of value, league wide relative ability and rareness of performance within that role matter significantly.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
It's a good signing imo. Toronto will lack veterans shortly and he'll come in handy.

Pretty much.

Who's the leadership group for the Leafs?
Babcock obviously leads from the bench and off the ice but who leads on the ice?
Laich? Greening? Kadri? Komarov? Bozak? Hunwick? Rielly? (too soon)

Martin as seen on the NYI on the ice and in interviews was a good character guy. I'm sure he's brought in to help these kids on and off the ice.

Polak is in the same boat, I'm sure the team and management liked him on and off the ice for the same reasons while bringing familiarity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad