Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Matt Martin (4 years, $2.5M AAV)

Riellyfan04

Feb 25, 2010
Toronto On
Leafs signed a player who will help our young guys stay confident and not be afraid of opposing team.... Sure he signed for a bit to much but who cares when we are rebuilding....At the end of the day, i like this UFA signing than any other UFA who signed long term with other teams... I am just happy we aren't soft anymore. I remember that night with Boston, where Nylander and Rielly got bullied...... We had no player to get back at them after... This signing makes me feel better now!

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Pretty much.

Who's the leadership group for the Leafs?
Babcock obviously leads from the bench and off the ice but who leads on the ice?
Laich? Greening? Kadri? Komarov? Bozak? Hunwick? Rielly? (too soon)

Martin as seen on the NYI on the ice and in interviews was a good character guy. I'm sure he's brought in to help these kids on and off the ice.

Polak is in the same boat, I'm sure the team and management liked him on and off the ice for the same reasons while bringing familiarity.

What exactly is on ice leadership?

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
Man, people find the smallest things to ***** about.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Right. But doesn't that on ice leadership come from top players (like Sundin)? How motivational, on the bench, is encouragement from a 4th line player?

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
good signing. leafs are rebuilding properly. you have ELC so you can overpay for quality bottom 6 guys. he's a great locker room guy, will be a good player for the young guys to be around.

florida overpaid for vets during their rebuild it's worth it to a rebuilding team. you want character guys around like martin.

leafs are doing this rebuild properly.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Right. But doesn't that on ice leadership come from top players (like Sundin)? How motivational, on the bench, is encouragement from a 4th line player?

Are playing devil's advocate or truly ignorant?

It's not just about the vocal encouragement. Gonna wax a little poetic but anyone that's played any sport at any reasonable level can attest to the motivational impact of a guy going out there and being willing to sell his soul to help the team win, to bleed and do whatever it takes. Sometimes it's the energy spreading, sometimes it's the shame of not pulling your weight in comparison.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
I'm serious. What exactly constitutes on ice leadership?

Here's a couple examples that even casual fans have likely noticed.

Ever see a player just prior to a faceoff directing his line mates where to position themselves? Or a player drag one of his guys away from a scrum to avoid an even up call or just because a scrum isn't in his teams best interest?

Adam91

Dec 19, 2005
Toronto
Reminds me of Prust signing with Habs. Paid too much for what he is but adds a lot in intangibles. I'm not sure the need for that type of player is as glaring for the Leafs as it was for the Habs at the time, but I have no regrets about the Prust deal.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
He will be a great fit for Toronto. Leafs have many offensive talented forwards on the team capable of creating scoring chances and finish.

He will provide the physical and energy element they need on the team but with the current rules in the NHL those policing factors really does not have too much bearing unless he plays on the same line as the stars on the team. The PP % actually works better to prevent an opposing team from running hard at your stars, especially in close games.

Do not expect him to score a lot for the leafs but he will help on the fore-checking, keep the pucks in the other end and worn out the opposing D. Pair with fast 4th liners will help his game.

A real good player with strong work ethics who is great with both fans and media and yes the Don Cherry type of player - tough, great character and extremely well dressed Canadian boy. Will miss him on the Isles team. I think he is just let go because Isles have too many young LW in the system and need more secondary goal scoring which they did not get enough last season.

It also may help that he is on a team which may be on the better side of officiating. He received some phantom calls last year in the playoff. Hopefully the refs will see him differently in a leafs uniform.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad