Confirmed with Link: [TOR] Maple Leafs Re-Sign Carter Ashton [1 year/$850K]

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
What evidence is there of this? His usage dictated his opportunities.

IMO he was pretty much the same player as Frattin. Hard on the puck, fast, lots of opportunities but lacked finish in a lot of instances. However, Frattin was given 2nd line minutes and Ashton has been mostly on the 3rd or 4th lines.

Ashton is young, and still growing into his frame, as the development curve for power-forwards is slower than that of skill forwards.

Ashton could still wind up capable of top 6 minutes. But frankly, I'm very happy with him as a bottom 6 depth player because of the elements I listed above, and the affordable cap hit that usually goes with players in the bottom 6.

I expect Ashton to be able to get 15-25 goals per season.

And if he does, we'll all be happy for it.

But come on, the guy's 23 years old and has never truly cracked an NHL lineup.

Criticize Carlyle all you want, he certainly deserves it, but it isn't like Ashton blew anybody away either.

Frattin was both, in my opinion, stronger on the puck, a better skater, and had a better shot than Ashton when he stepped into the Leafs lineup full time.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
And if he does, we'll all be happy for it.

But come on, the guy's 23 years old and has never truly cracked an NHL lineup.

Criticize Carlyle all you want, he certainly deserves it, but it isn't like Ashton blew anybody away either.

Frattin was both, in my opinion, stronger on the puck, a better skater, and had a better shot than Ashton when he stepped into the Leafs lineup full time.

when frattin was ashtons age the leafs basically had nothing. it was much easier for a winger to step in. i dont disagree that frattin stood out his first stint in toronto but i have hard time saying ashton was put in a position to succeed.

how many shifts has ashton taken with lupul and kadri? if carlyle put kadri on the 4th line for 3 minutes he would also look out of place. the kid was drafted to be a top 6 winger with some grit and fiestiness and a nose for the net. having him play with mclemment and orr is a waste of his time.

im not disputing that he has been overly impressive but he did look promising towards the end of the season with the marlies. i think given the right situation he has more upside then frattin. other then frattins hot streak with kadri he was pretty useless in toronto.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Maybe Ashton wasn't ever put in a great position like Frattin, but it's not like he's done anything to force the teams hand. He's been a bunch of hustle with the occasional broken nose for Leafs.

Not tough enough for the bottom six, not skilled enough for the top 6. Hope he proves me wrong and shows something worth having in the NHL.

mikebel111*

Maybe Ashton wasn't ever put in a great position like Frattin, but it's not like he's done anything to force the teams hand. He's been a bunch of hustle with the occasional broken nose for Leafs.

Not tough enough for the bottom six, not skilled enough for the top 6. Hope he proves me wrong and shows something worth having in the NHL.

I do agree here for most part. He will be given many opportunities especially with Spott here.

mikebel111*

Its a nice deal for him. With Spott here, he will know how to use him properly.
Ashton is an NHL player now we need to see how good. Best way to do that is to put him in a position to succeed.

Yes he shouldn't fight but you have to love his heart though
I think he would make the perfect power forward third liner

EastVan

Jun 25, 2014
I like Ashton because he displays a lot of tenacity.

I think he'll need to get that ever elusive first NHL goal early on for things to go his way next year.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
Brodie?

I like Ashton, and I think he'll end up on the fourth line, but he really needs more minutes if he's ever going to prove anything. He's been pretty snakebitten so hopefully he gets some bounces this year. Dude needs to stop fighting though.

He means Bodie, seen diceman freudian slip Brodie a few times, I wish we had TJ Brodie too man but come on :)

Ashton may just be that perfect 4th liner, or maybe he makes it to 3rd line somehow. I don't see why he would get time on 2nd line over Kontiola, Santa, Frattin, Holland etc.

Mostly I wonder why the leafs didnt move him a few years ago when he still had value, it would seem he never found a spot on the team or never really had one, so it sucked to retain him and have his value plummet.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
If the Marlies kids like Ashton and Holland achieve what they're capable of, this team is playoff bound. If they don't, we have a better 1st round pick.

Where we stand next season will be based on Kontiola, Clarkson, Holland, Ashton, Frattin and Santorelli's plays. Playing the kids is a risk that either pays off or it doesn't.

Surprisingly, part of me doesn't want them to succeed for the chance at a higher pick.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Care to elaborate on what makes him such a terrible player?

His incredibly poor skating. His lanky frame. His brutal vision on the ice.

Basically the whole nine yards.

The only reason he's come this far in his hockey career is because of his father's exploits as an NHL'er...let's be honest.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He's demonstrated impressive offensive prowess in the AHL. Hopefully the coaching staff gamble on his potential, and give him some reasonable ice time for a few games.

HockeyCA

Dec 15, 2009
He's demonstrated impressive offensive prowess in the AHL. Hopefully the coaching staff gamble on his potential, and give him some reasonable ice time for a few games.

His AHL numbers aren't all that impressive, except for a very minor sample size last year. His hockey sense is way below average.. Let's be honest, if he wasn't a big body, he would be nowhere near an NHL calibre player.. and is the only reason he is "ahead" of some of our other prospects on the Marlies. I put ahead in quotations because that may not even be the case at this point IMO..

Anyways, I guess it's a no risk signing. If he pans out, great. If he doesn't, then whatever. I don't foresee him being a big part of the Leafs either way to tell you the truth.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
He means Bodie, seen diceman freudian slip Brodie a few times, I wish we had TJ Brodie too man but come on :)

Ashton may just be that perfect 4th liner, or maybe he makes it to 3rd line somehow. I don't see why he would get time on 2nd line over Kontiola, Santa, Frattin, Holland etc.

Mostly I wonder why the leafs didnt move him a few years ago when he still had value, it would seem he never found a spot on the team or never really had one, so it sucked to retain him and have his value plummet.
Yes I did mean Bodie my fingers seem to type what ever they want and my cell phone is no help at all.

Ashton when he was first traded to the Leafs had a 15 game stint and was often playing with good players and did not register a point. His NHL career thus far has been less than impressive.
Should a player prove that he is ready or should a player prove that he is not ready? In my opinion a player should prove they are ready for a bigger role before they are given the role. Thus far Ashton has proven that he is not a player ready to play in a consistent role in the NHL the Leafs did resign him so it looks like he will be given a chance to prove he is ready or maybe they will trade him to another team if he fails to impress at camp.

mikebel111*

His incredibly poor skating. His lanky frame. His brutal vision on the ice.

Basically the whole nine yards.

The only reason he's come this far in his hockey career is because of his father's exploits as an NHL'er...let's be honest.

what garbage

Ashton is a good player, I know your upset Kadri is better than Frattin:laugh:

You clearly don't know about him than

mikebel111*

His AHL numbers aren't all that impressive, except for a very minor sample size last year. His hockey sense is way below average.. Let's be honest, if he wasn't a big body, he would be nowhere near an NHL calibre player.. and is the only reason he is "ahead" of some of our other prospects on the Marlies. I put ahead in quotations because that may not even be the case at this point IMO..

Anyways, I guess it's a no risk signing. If he pans out, great. If he doesn't, then whatever. I don't foresee him being a big part of the Leafs either way to tell you the truth.

much better player than Kozun

Ashton has skill, which was shown after he actually got a chance

lol not NHL calibre.

I seriously question some people's hockey intelligence on this board

also with Eakins he was buried, so stop saying he didn't produce. When he actually got nice minutes, he produced.

Last edited by a moderator:

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Anyone that thinks Ashton is a terrible skater knows nothing about the player and is just talking out of their ass.

Ashton played 6 minutes a game and people are shocked he didn't perform. Horrid coach.

Tyler Biggs*

CARTER ASHTON ACCEPTS QO: http://theleafsnation.com/2014/7/16/carter-ashton-accepts-qo

With the focus now during to Restricted Free Agents, the Toronto Maple Leafs had some of their work done for them today, as Carter Ashton accepted his 1-year, $850,000 qualifying offer from the team this morning.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?

For those completely new to the concept, teams have a set single year contract that they, barring an arbitration filing, have to offer their potential RFA’s to keep their status while negotiating with them. Typically, this is based off of the previous year’s salary. Players can accept them whenever they want, or hold off in hopes of earning more salary and/or term.

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
because some have an agenda and kid should have scored hat tricks playing with Orr

Just because someone doesn’t like a player doesn’t mean they are unaware of their situation.

I am veeeery well aware of the opportunities Ashton was given, and the player he was in the AHL.

He’s still pretty bad. Fourth liner at BEST but more likely Europe-bound or career AHLer.

HockeyCA

Dec 15, 2009
much better player than Kozun

Ashton has skill, which was shown after he actually got a chance

lol not NHL calibre.

I seriously question some people's hockey intelligence on this board

also with Eakins he was buried, so stop saying he didn't produce. When he actually got nice minutes, he produced.

I don't think you should be questioning anyones intelligence when it seems you have trouble with capitalizing and punctuation.

I think I know the game quite well, and I certainly don't use "lol" anymore.. I think I stopped using that in middle or high school. Ashton is a big body. He skates quite well, most of the time, not so much laterally though. He is a pure North-South player. His IQ and ability to read the player are below average, that is clear. His shot is about average, and he doesn't make his teammates better. Let's see how he does, but he certainly is no sure thing like you claim him to be. I remember a lot of your posts during the Marlies playoff run, and they always providing very little information and a lot of hyperbolic "if only he was given a chance" and "lol NHL calibre."

Next time try and provide some actual insight and information before you start spouting off how there are some "people" on this board who have low levels of hockey knowledge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad