Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Leafs sign Alexei Barabanov (1 year, $925k)

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
If Timashov had Barabanov’s skating he would have been a top 9 player....

Timashov didn’t have separation speed (or any kind of speed for that matter) and Barabanov has been called a top 10 skater in the KHL (forwards) by pundits.

Last edited by a moderator:

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
So one of the K's or Johnson probably leaving in the summer

I think both are gone honestly.

I actually think we should sign either Grigorenko or Girgensons as our 3C. Grigorenko has a great year last year in the KHL. I just don’t know if he can play a more defensive style and is gritty.

Girgenson is a big body and is exactly what we need as our 3C. Not sure how much offensive up side he has but I could see him around 30-40 points.

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto
Looking for clarification: If Grigorenko were to return to the NHL, would he be signing a standard UFA contract or is would he be back on an entry-level again?

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
You could look at it this way. If Barabanov is equal to Johnsson and we trade Johnsson that saves us almost 3M in cap space. We then use that space to sign a defensemen who would be an upgrade to our 6 man unit. Have we not gotten better? If we were to trade Kerfoot as well that's another 3.5M off the books that could help with trying to get a guy like Pietrangelo.

Something like:

Hyman Tavares Nylander
Mikheyev Matthews Marner
Malgin Engvall Kapanen
Clifford/Barabanov Spezza Korshkov

Rielly Pietrangelo
Muzzin Dermott
Sandin Liljegren/UFA

You forgot Holl and if they are signing Pietrangelo you need to move out Dermott as well. The trouble with all this is you now get paper thin again with your depth and injuries will cause the same issues the Leafs seen this season. I see one of Johnson or KK being moved for a Dman or Dman signing but Pietrangelo is not it. You lost that chance when Muzzin resigned.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don’t think he’s that good. Maybe a 9th forward. Otherwise, likely a traditional fourth liner that is in and out of the lineup, doesn’t play much and regularly rotates teams. He has a well rounded game, but nothing that I think will carry him to being anything more than a low-end NHL’er. The Leafs have a lot of wing options in their bottom six. I have no clue why he signed with them.

bobg1

Sep 21, 2006
bc
Hhmmmmm if that picture is any indication he skates like a 3 year old who put skates on for the first time last week.

Yeah I'm sure he skates like a 3 year old and that's why he was so sought after

bobg1

Sep 21, 2006
bc
I like what I hear - energetic, persistent, relentless.

Definitely need more of those types with Brown and Moore going out.

You do remember Brown was traded to Ottawa last season???? Who says Moore is going anywhere????

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
I think this is just proof the leafs hate Jeremy Bracco
Bracco hasn't developed much. He is still a perimeter player that flourishes on the PP and weak defensively. He has also been completely invisible at every training camp. With Marner, Nylander and Kapanen at RW, he is not bumping any of those guys out.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
You could look at it this way. If Barabanov is equal to Johnsson and we trade Johnsson that saves us almost 3M in cap space. We then use that space to sign a defensemen who would be an upgrade to our 6 man unit. Have we not gotten better? If we were to trade Kerfoot as well that's another 3.5M off the books that could help with trying to get a guy like Pietrangelo.

Something like:

Hyman Tavares Nylander
Mikheyev Matthews Marner
Malgin Engvall Kapanen
Clifford/Barabanov Spezza Korshkov

Rielly Pietrangelo
Muzzin Dermott
Sandin Liljegren/UFA

This would be cap hell... :help:

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Stinks. Don't get excited. He was pretty low on his team's depth chart in Russia this season. Surpassed by 3-4 younger players. He failed to follow up his excellent season from a year ago. He went from 46 to 20 points. The years before his good season he averaged 20-25 points.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Its a no brainer step gap move and when against the cap you have to take your shots. Only downside is ufa after 2021 so if he does hit can leafs afford in a year?

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Its a no brainer step gap move and when against the cap you have to take your shots. Only downside is ufa after 2021 so if he does hit can leafs afford in a year?
Probably not. They would just keep trying to throw stuff against the wall and hope it sticks.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix

I actually think we should sign either Grigorenko or Girgensons as our 3C. Grigorenko has a great year last year in the KHL. I just don’t know if he can play a more defensive style and is gritty.

Girgenson is a big body and is exactly what we need as our 3C. Not sure how much offensive up side he has but I could see him around 30-40 points.

Johnsson is coming off major knee surgery and had a down year. Who is giving you anything of significance for him?

Reactions: uncleben

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

Girgensens would get 15-20 points. Maybe 25. His best season was 30 and that was in the Sabres tank year. If he’s your 3C I can see 25 points on the Leafs, but he’s usually the Sabres 4LW.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $685.00