Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Kasperi Kapanen (3yrs, $3.2M AAV) & Andreas Johnsson (4yrs, $3.4M AAV)

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Both really good deals, especially if they can take another step in development. Can't complain about locking up two ~20 goal scorers for under $3.5 million per year.

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
Overall points are a terrible way to evaluate players, I agree.

Yes, let's rewrite history. Marner got dominated by every underlying metric but managed to score. Nylander dominated every underlying metric (against the bergeron line mostly) and was able to score some.
then those metrics are worse because Nylander was clearly terrible that series. That was the first time I've heard such brutal honesty from an announcer when Kelly Hrudy said he wouldn't even want Nylander on his playoff roster he looked so terrible. I mean Nylander himself said that he struggled.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Both good deals and probably about $1 mil each lower than the new norm.

Looks like, right now, about $8 mil or so left for Marner with another couple league min players.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
then those metrics are worse because Nylander was clearly terrible that series. That was the first time I've heard such brutal honesty from an announcer when Kelly Hrudy said he wouldn't even want Nylander on his playoff roster he looked so terrible. I mean Nylander himself said that he struggled.

Well seeing how we're talking about the 2017-18 playoffs lmao.

Plus Kelly Hrudy is a moron. Brutal take, and arguably even worse quoting him.

sd1976

Mar 14, 2008
They're all getting paid for the same production, what exactly is your point? theoretically rfa years should be cheaper too.
Wow... I don’t even know where to go with this post. You don’t see the value in much younger players, locked in long term at a low cost vs 2 journeymen at the same cost? You don’t project that they could be better going forward vs the others at the end of their prime probably going to regress?

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Last edited:

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
These are stupidly good contracts for young second-line caliber wingers.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Leafs have TWENTY ONE players under contract, and Marner to sign(with some moves to make space).

Toronto Maple Leafs Salary Cap, Cap Hit, Toronto Maple Leafs Contracts | Puckpedia

WOOT!

FACTS.
It is funny, but with Marleau's contract gone and Zaitsev reportedly being traded to the Sens for Cici (as soon as the Leafs pay him his $3million on July 1), there is literally no contract on that roster left that looks bad. They range from stupidly undermarket (eg. Rielly) to market value (Matthews, Tavares), but there isn't an albatross to be found (not including Horton because his contract effectively doesn't count against the cap). The only shitty thing left is the $1.5 million of retained dead cap space on Kessel, which while crappy, is still just $1.5 million. Losing a 1st to dump Marleau sucks, but hand it to Dubas; the Leafs have a very efficiently constructed roster.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Marner will be signed
Losing Gardner is addition by subtraction
The defense won't be fixed this year

The bolded statement is beyond ridiculous and I really wish that narrative would die already. The guy scored 52 points a year ago, runs our 2nd PP unit and eats up huge minutes with all the statistical evidence showing he does it very well. But sure, that giveaway people watched on tsn highlights in the 2nd period must cancel all those positives out right?

There's a reason he's about to get paid big money as a UFA.....it's because he's a very valuable player. Nobody's handing out the contract Gardiner is about to get to a scrub. I'm still hopeful Dubas has big plans to fix our D this week through trades, but as of right now the loss of Gardiner is massive and something we can't replace internally yet.

Reactions: Kelly

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Solid deals on two solid players,keeps Toronto,s offensive depth good for next little while

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Great deals as most have commented on. If both Liljegren and Sandin turn into regular NHLers then we will be laughing. Lastly we need Woll or Scott to push for the starting role in a years time. I know that is a lot to ask but with Reilly coming due in three seasons we are gonna be in trouble if we have to extend Andersen followed by Reilly.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
The bolded statement is beyond ridiculous and I really wish that narrative would die already. The guy scored 52 points a year ago, runs our 2nd PP unit and eats up huge minutes with all the statistical evidence showing he does it very well. But sure, that giveaway people watched on tsn highlights in the 2nd period must cancel all those positives out right?

There's a reason he's about to get paid big money as a UFA.....it's because he's a very valuable player. Nobody's handing out the contract Gardiner is about to get to a scrub. I'm still hopeful Dubas has big plans to fix our D this week through trades, but as of right now the loss of Gardiner is massive and something we can't replace internally yet.
It's true that overall he was a good player for the Leafs but I am happy to see him go and think we are better off with other players filling in his role. The consistent blunders in huge games is tough to deal with, there had to be a mental aspect with him where a fresh start for both parties will be beneficial.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
I like the optimism but they already spent their first round pick moving marleau… without it I dont see how they dump Zaitsev

dumping brown very likely means taking back a similar contract so you are very optimistic expecting any cap relief there

Horton should create some cap relief... but remember the team has to be cap compliant to start the season. ltir only helps after you are cap compliant to begin with. in order to get 5.3 saving from Horton the team has to somehow fit that into the cap

usually teams do this by sending other guys making 5.3 to the minors and then recalling them... but if Toronto does that those guys will be claimed on waivers.

this is a very bad situation made much worst because theres no honesty involved. the Toronto front office continues to sell its fans the poison koolaid. weve already seen the team give away its first round pick to try to maintain what they already had last year and it didnt fix the problem... more hurting is going to come
I am not positive on this but I was under the impression that the Leafs can use LTIR at the start of the season in the amount that they need to in order to be cap compliant and this will be their max cap for the rest of the year? For example at the start of the season their cap can be up to a max of $86.8 million and whatever number they are at is the cap for the year. So if they are only $3 million over the cap at the start of the year then their cap for the year is $84.5 million.

Does anyone know if this is correct or am I way off?

As for the rest of your post, well it makes me think that the first part of your post was incorrect as well.

Sep 18, 2009

Except in big playoff games when it really counts
He's a liability

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Defense still needs work. Excellent contract for Reilly, horrible (hopefully traded) contract in Zaitsev and Muzzin for one year. Then a lot of youth.
Muzzin is a solid contract. $4million for a 2D caliber player for this past season and this coming one is great; loved that trade personally. Could potentially offer him another contract at the end of it. With Sandin and Liljegren coming up the defence in the 2020 offseason will be young, but talented, and also (importantly) dirt cheap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad