Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Jimmy Vesey signs with the Maple Leafs (1 year, $900K)

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Nice signing, rich getting richer here. Gives them nice depth on the wing as injuries will occur with the compressed schedule and playing against other Canadian savages like us in Ottawa, or Calgary or Winnipeg.
900K is basically a night out in TO anyways, nothing to get your bloomers in an uproar.

CujosMask

Nov 24, 2017
More competitive? I believe last season the Habs won all 3 regular season games.

You're right, plus the Habs won't have to play Detroit next season, you know after being swept by them, this division bodes well for them

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Kerfoot has looked much better at C than on the wing, he’s our 3rd C for sure

Looked much better this offseason?
In practice?
According to bloggers?
Better in the hockey pool?

Did you watch the play-in series? I know he got 3 assists, but the game he got 2 assists he was a -1.

I don't think Kerfoot is a bum, but I just don't have a lot of confidence in him. It's not that he can't be a 3C, but he can't be a 3C on a contending team.

Reactions: egelband

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I disagree. Thornton will be our 3C. Kerfoot is a winger.

Kerfoot wasn't nearly as effective on the wing as he was at centre and at this point, I think he's unquestionably a better center than Joe Thornton is.

Keefe would have to be pretty stupid to shift Kerfoot to the wing in order to play Thornton at centre, IMO.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Kerfoot wasn't nearly as effective on the wing as he was at centre and at this point, I think he's unquestionably a better center than Joe Thornton is.

Keefe would have to be pretty stupid to shift Kerfoot to the wing in order to play Thornton at centre, IMO.

It just always sounds like i am constantly talking to hockey fans who hate anyone over 30.

We don't really know, but I'm not ready to write off Thornton because he's 41.

At the same time Kerfoot is not a very good player. He's like an average NHLer at best.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
It just always sounds like i am constantly talking to hockey fans who hate anyone over 30.

We don't really know, but I'm not ready to write off Thornton because he's 41.

At the same time Kerfoot is not a very good player. He's like an average NHLer at best.

I have no issue with players over 30.

But I have watched Joe Thornton play the last few years and I don't think a competitive NHL team would be icing him as their third line center and the simply fact is that while Kerfoot is by no means a great player the simple reality is he is a better player than Joe Thornton is today.

I don't think Joe Thornton was signed for what he could do on the ice.

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
Pretty fantastic Thornton, Vesey and Simmonds were signed fora combined 3.1 next year.
Thornton's getting a tad underrated due to his age. He had pretty good numbers in a limited role, and likely will be even more limited with the Leafs.

Reactions: teddygmr

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I have no issue with players over 30.

But I have watched Joe Thornton play the last few years and I don't think a competitive NHL team would be icing him as their third line center and the simply fact is that while Kerfoot is by no means a great player the simple reality is he is a better player than Joe Thornton is today.

I don't think Joe Thornton was signed for what he could do on the ice.
Its ridiculous to think he wasn't.

All the leadership and "grit" is nice but they wouldn't of signed him if they didn't think he could contribute in some way.

If hes anything similar to what Spezza has done with us, I'm happy.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Its ridiculous to think he wasn't.

All the leadership and "grit" is nice but they wouldn't of signed him if they didn't think he could contribute in some way.

If hes anything similar to what Spezza has done with us, I'm happy.

First of all, if you are expecting "grit" from Joe Thornton, you're going to be pretty disappointed.

I'm not suggesting they don't think he can contribute, I'm saying he's not, at that stage in his career, a better option than Kerfoot and the most appealing aspects he brings to the team is league minimum cap hit and a wealth of experience for a young core.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
First of all, if you are expecting "grit" from Joe Thornton, you're going to be pretty disappointed.

I'm not suggesting they don't think he can contribute, I'm saying he's not, at that stage in his career, a better option than Kerfoot and the most appealing aspects he brings to the team is league minimum cap hit and a wealth of experience for a young core.

Yeah I likely agree, he'll be a fourth liner for us in reality that sees 2nd pp time.

Thornton has shown he has no issue dropping the mitts, and has a troll level to him. More grit than 80% of the Leafs roster no doubt.

Obviously not a gritty player in the traditional sense.

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
ok , I’ll type slow . While the Leafs were having a great summer there were 16 other teams battling for the Stanley Cup.
And some of those teams won't make the playoffs this coming year. Does missing the playoffs eliminate the Leafs next year as well? Really, arguing about the past against the present is rather silly, especially a year like this.

Last edited:
Reactions: CujosMask

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad