Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] F Bobby McMann signs extension with the Maple Leafs (2 years, $1.35M AAV)

Snap

Mar 7, 2024
Depth guy at a depth guy price. Can't complain, especially if he continues to play like he has of late.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Some teams messed up when they didn’t claim him on waivers in preseason. The guy can score goals. 21 goals in 30 AHL games last year. 20 goal pace in the NHL this year without much PP time. Not like he’s a superstar but worse players get claimed.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Is this a buriable contract? I personally don’t like it. I think we should have moved on. Not sure where he fits next year

Mcmann. Xxxxxx. Jarnkrok
Dewar. Kampf. Reeves
He's been particularly good the last while. Low cap hit, can fit in throughout the lineup. Not sure why you would want the team to move on.

Reactions: hurdemz and Mckay

Leafsfanperson

Jan 27, 2024
This is an issue in Toronto as a market, a guy gets a month of good will from fans and media and MLSE makes an emotional signing.

For a team that is cap pressed they have to stop handing bottom six forwards money. At some point you have to stop burning cap room. Leafs will pay the Bobby McMann tax next year when they have to give up a 2027 3rd for a '3 way deal' to get that 500k back in cap space on a deal when they trade for a 7th defenseman.

Good for Bobby, everyone loves him today, we'll see in month or two if he's forgotten and resented like every Bobby McMann in Toronto.

This franchise never learns.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
This is is a contract that at worst can be buried in the minors next season, and a best he continues what he's currently doing and this contract is a bargain.

There is no downside to this.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
This is an issue in Toronto as a market, a guy gets a month of good will from fans and media and MLSE makes an emotional signing.

For a team that is cap pressed they have to stop handing bottom six forwards money. At some point you have to stop burning cap room. Leafs will pay the Bobby McMann tax next year when they have to give up a 2027 3rd for a '3 way deal' to get that 500k back in cap space on a deal when they trade for a 7th defenseman.

Good for Bobby, everyone loves him today, we'll see in month or two if he's forgotten and resented like every Bobby McMann in Toronto.

This franchise never learns.

1.15 can be buried in the minors…

Reactions: Ciao

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Is this a buriable contract? I personally don’t like it. I think we should have moved on. Not sure where he fits next year

Mcmann. Xxxxxx. Jarnkrok
Dewar. Kampf. Reeves
I am embarrassed to be a Leaf fan when I read comments like this. Once given a spot in the lineup he's been very good. He def would have gotten more in FA. I feel like the same fans lament players like Verhaeghe, Marchment, Trevor Moore, etc. but then complain when we do keep the player.

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
If he continued to play like he has for the rest of the season then it's fine. If this is just a flash in the pan, then it is a stupid contract for a spot that could be taken up by a regular bottom 6 player on $900k. Especially for a team who need to make use of every dollar next year.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Some teams messed up when they didn’t claim him on waivers in preseason. The guy can score goals. 21 goals in 30 AHL games last year. 20 goal pace in the NHL this year without much PP time. Not like he’s a superstar but worse players get claimed.
He can also drive play at a decent level, can forecheck and is decent defensively

He's what you want in a bottom 6 player. If he can score 10-20 goals he'll be an excellent third-liner

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

Mcmann. Xxxxxx. Jarnkrok
Dewar. Kampf. Reeves
Yeah that should be able to be buried with no cap hit once the cap goes up next year. I think the max that can be buried is around 1.1 this year.

Worst case you play McMann 70ish games a year and you play Reaves the other 12, or just bury Reaves.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I am embarrassed to be a Leaf fan when I read comments like this. Once given a spot in the lineup he's been very good. He def would have gotten more in FA. I feel like the same fans lament players like Verhaeghe, Marchment, Trevor Moore, etc. but then complain when we do keep the player.

??? He’s 28 years old and had a great week.
Outside of that week He has 3 goals in 45ish games this year and was a healthy scratch in Feb.

Having him as our 3rd line LW is pretty dicey
That lineup has virtually no bottom 6 scoring

Reeves Kampf holmberg/dewar/mcmann
Is not a recipe for success

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: