Proposal: Tor-Chi

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Wouldn’t do this

It’s funny how people are acting like this isn’t just a touch above a standard rental deal, when this is a much better than average rental player

Rentals always go for 1st + prospect. This one has a second tacked on

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Wouldn’t do this

It’s funny how people are acting like this isn’t just a touch above a standard rental deal, when this is a much better than average rental player

Rentals always go for 1st + prospect. This one has a second tacked on
Often rentals come with a lot of retention. And why would the Hawks be in the rental market?
A fair trade would be Marner for Seth Jones.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
He didn't say midseason...

Chicago could flip him right away to a team Marner is willing to sign with long tem
Chicago would then have to receive a better package from that third team than Dach, the 34th overall pick this year, and an unprotected 1st-round pick next year. I don't see the OP offer as a trade either Chicago or Toronto makes.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Often rentals come with a lot of retention. And why would the Hawks be in the rental market?
A fair trade would be Marner for Seth Jones.
they get retained by 50 percent, so Marner could be too, but there’s an extra price there. as for the hawks, maybe they aren’t interested, but this isn’t some shocking ask from any team. We would be asking for a 1st++ in pure rental, much more if he’s extended.

I disagree with Marner for jones out right. Retain jones down to 7-7.5 and it’s maybe fair in a vacuum, but in reality no way in hell does Chicago retain 2-2.5 for 6 years.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
they get retained by 50 percent, so Marner could be too, but there’s an extra price there. as for the hawks, maybe they aren’t interested, but this isn’t some shocking ask from any team. We would be asking for a 1st++ in pure rental, much more if he’s extended.

I disagree with Marner for jones out right. Retain jones down to 7-7.5 and it’s maybe fair in a vacuum, but in reality no way in hell does Chicago retain 2-2.5 for 6 years.
We are just guessing what will happen with MM. imo though it’s going to be very difficult to trade him. So if Treliving could get Chicago to vote and MM to waive then getting Jones would greatly improve the Leafs’ D. He’d be great with Mo Reilly.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Seth Jones is a 6 year cap dump

Get out of here with that
Seth Jones is an ideal top pairing partner for Morgan Rielly. The only issue is that his cap hit is $2m too high and his contract is 1 or 2 years too long. I personally wouldn't mind the Leafs trading Marner for Jones, but it would be nice if we could get something additional back in the deal.

If we could convince Chicago to retain even $1.0m for the 6 years, that would be awesome. It's a LONG time but it's only 1 million. Cap is going up... I don't know, maybe.

Reactions: Fatass

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
no it doesn’t. Caphit is the key.

You are correct that cap hit is key for playoff teams, or at least, ones that are reasonably hopeful of getting there.

However, where his league minimum salary comes into play, is making it really easy for Mitch to have what might be the best contract in the league from a cap hit to $ perspective.

Go to a team like Anaheim, Chicago, or Buffalo on July 2, and get them to retain $5.5m of his cap hit. It costs that team roughly $400k in real money.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Seth Jones is an ideal top pairing partner for Morgan Rielly. The only issue is that his cap hit is $2m too high and his contract is 1 or 2 years too long. I personally wouldn't mind the Leafs trading Marner for Jones, but it would be nice if we could get something additional back in the deal.

If we could convince Chicago to retain even $1.0m for the 6 years, that would be awesome. It's a LONG time but it's only 1 million. Cap is going up... I don't know, maybe.
Could see the hawks retaining a million

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Marner would be really good for Bedard too. MM could set Bedard up like he does with Matthews. With Marner I’m thinking Bedard scores 50 and likely more.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Hawks would need to be able to talk to Marner and his agent before trade to work out extension

To :hawks
RW Mitch Marner (Extended)

To :leafs
C Colton Dach
Hawks 2024 2nd round pick (#34)
Hawks 2025 1st round pick (No protections)

Hawks extend Marner adding him to improve NHL team and look towards moving from getting from point A (Rebuild) to point B (Playoff contention) in coming years

With Hawks draft capital (Currently have 5 1st round picks + 8 2nd round picks over next 3 drafts) and a good prospect pool (Nazar, Moore, Rinzel, Del Mastro, etc) the team is on right track to begin process of improving and looking towards exiting the darkest part of rebuild timeline.

Leafs collect future package and free nearly $11M in cap room to look to strengthen other parts of team. For them this is clean break as they shakeup core and locker room
And you claim to be a Hawk fan. PLAYOFF MARNER doesn’t have much value. If they found a taker Chicago would retain and get back less than they paid Toronto.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Hard pass on paying premium assets for Marner.

A 2025 unprotected 1st? Gtfo. Lol

Hawks are still in a rebuild, giving up a potential top 10 pick next year would be disastrous.

I don’t hate Marner, but he’s just not a fit as a trade target.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Hard pass on paying premium assets for Marner.

A 2025 unprotected 1st? Gtfo. Lol

Hawks are still in a rebuild, giving up a potential top 10 pick next year would be disastrous.

I don’t hate Marner, but he’s just not a fit as a trade target.
I completely get being against trading the 1st unprotected, but honestly I'm surprised at the lack of aggression / commitment to a long rebuild from Hawks fans.

The Leafs failed to get over the hump, but were playoffs the year after Matthews (with Nylander/Marner/Rielly in the 4 years prior, and have been playoffs ever since.

The last Blackhawks dynasty started with Toews and Kane on ELC's.

Bedard+2nd ovr + Korchinski a 2nd tier of Moore/Nazar/Rinzel/20th ovr, a very deep 3rd tier, a defense with Jones/Murphy/Vlasic already in place...

I get where OP is coming from, a few key adds + development and the Hawks are primed to surge up into another window

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
The retention could be a single dollar & it wouldn't matter. Teams only get three retention slots. No team is going to lock up one third of their slots for six years. It just handcuffs them too much for far too long.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Have you ever thought how weird it is that 31 teams could potentially play Marner for $5.5m next year, but the 32nd team in the league can’t?

Weird, right?
That sounds more like it would cost to move him. Why should teams pay value to help you out?
I’m really a Marner fan. I watched nearly every Leaf game. Marner is not their biggest problem.

Not having a tested playoff caliber goalie is.

Rielly being their best Dman while DEFENSIVELY he’d be a 3rd pair guy is.

Matthews hanging out n the high slot in his own zone (getting a few takeaways) … (stat padding) instead of being near the goal line helping Dmen is.

Shanahan handing Tavares 1C money well past his usefulness is.

Overpaying guys who simply won’t pay the price to win when it counts is.

Leaf players (most) earn their participation trophies in the regular season. Nobody who envisions winning the cup is paying significant assets to get any of them in a TDL deal. To date none have produced to justify it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad