Proposal: Tor / Cgy

IGGY2JOHNNY

Apr 22, 2018
Something around Tj Brodie for Nazem Kadri

Both are 28 years of age and similar cap hit. Maybe the flames add a bit to make up for the lack of term on Brodie’s deal or perhaps Brodie signs an extension in the deal as he is an Ontario boy who could be fond of the idea of playing close to home. Anyways , Leafs get a defenseman who can replace Gardiner’s minutes when he leaves in free agency and he prefers to play the right side which is a plus for Toronto. Kadri gives the flames another option down the middle and let’s them move Backlund down to 3C in a pure shut down role.

Possible Lines and D pairings after :

Gaudreau,Monohan,Lindholm
Tkachuk,Kadri,Bennett
Jankowski/Neal,Backlund,Frolik
Mangiapane,Ryan,Hathaway

Reilly,Brodie
Muzzin,Zaitsev
Dermott,Hainsey

Obviously more tinkering would be done in the offseason for both teams but I think this could be a deal that benefits both parties.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008

Both are 28 years of age and similar cap hit. Maybe the flames add a bit to make up for the lack of term on Brodie’s deal or perhaps Brodie signs an extension in the deal as he is an Ontario boy who could be fond of the idea of playing close to home. Anyways , Leafs get a defenseman who can replace Gardiner’s minutes when he leaves in free agency and he prefers to play the right side which is a plus for Toronto. Kadri gives the flames another option down the middle and let’s them move Backlund down to 3C in a pure shut down role.

Possible Lines and D pairings after :

Gaudreau,Monohan,Lindholm
Tkachuk,Kadri,Bennett
Jankowski/Neal,Backlund,Frolik
Mangiapane,Ryan,Hathaway

Reilly,Brodie
Muzzin,Zaitsev
Dermott,Hainsey

Obviously more tinkering would be done in the offseason for both teams but I think this could be a deal that benefits both parties.

I don't think Kadri puts us over the top, if we are trading Brodie, package him and go for a grand slam. And also I don't think that the Leafs have any interest in Brodie.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I can see it especially if they lose this series because it will be blamed and rightfully so on Nazem Kadri and Nazem Kadri ALONE due to his selfish mistakes

wasunder

Aug 21, 2014
In case anyone is wondering, Brodie is a LHD, but he plays the right side. I feel the flames would have to add due to term, I would add a bit to get Kadri though. I feel a Tkachuk-Kadri pairing would be hell to play against. What would be the expected add?

Allhailtheleafs

Feb 18, 2018
I can see it especially if they lose this series because it will be blamed and rightfully so on Nazem Kadri and Nazem Kadri ALONE due to his selfish mistakes

It wasn't a selfish play. It was dirty, but he was sticking up for his team mate. Mens backs have been broken being hit into the saction. It was stupid but not selfish

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

Both are 28 years of age and similar cap hit. .

The issue is that we have to find a way of cutting salary (hence players). So if we are adding equivalent salary via a player returned in a trade, we'll have to make (significant) cuts elsewhere in the roster.

Toronto Maple Leafs - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

We have 19 players under contract with only $7.2 m of cap space to work with (assumes $83 m cap). I'll add the LTIR Horton of $5.3 m to give us a total of $12.5 m to play with.

What is not included in the above are the RFAs and UFAs that we have.

UFAs - Gardiner & Hainsey are the significant UFAs. I'm assuming that Marincin, Hutchinson & Ennis will be let go.
RFAs - Marner, Johnsson, Ozhiganov, Kapanen

If we sign Marner at let's say $10 m, that gives us $2.5 m to sign a defender. Could be Hainsey if he's willing to take a $500k pay cut, or another UFA defender at $2.5 m/year.

All of the rest (players identified in blue font) would have to exit, and we would play with a 21 man roster versus the more customary 23 players. Its just an example (one scenario) of the juggling and cutting that would need to be done. Plus, we probably won't have enough cap to fill the hole vacated by Gardiner's departure either.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad