Confirmed Trade: [TOR/CGY] Morgan Klimchuk for Andrew Nielsen

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Nielsen has some okay offensive tools and is big and physical, but he's not very smart and his skating is lousy. he might be a good AHLer one day, maybe even a good pressbox presence

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
Klimchuk is a good two-way AHL forward with possible NHL upside. Former first-rounder. I could see him replacing Ennis at the 4LW position as soon as next year.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Nielson is very slow but has a heavy shot and is pretty physical. Might become something if speed /hockey iq improves but buried w Marlies. I've heard of klimchuk but not specifically familiar w his game. Any flames fan to chime in?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Nielson is very slow but has a heavy shot. Might become something if speed /hockey iq improves but buried w Marlies. I've heard if klimchuk but not specifically familiar w his game. Any flames fan to chime in?

Two way winger.
Little to no offence especially as it translates to the NHL.

Speedy and good IQ.

AHL tweener at best.

Xanner

Aug 2, 2009
So they made space for a D-man in the ahl because there about to send one down because nylander is about to sign.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I wish Klimchuk the best and hope he can crack an NHL roster. Never complained, just always tried to work his best. Injuries got the best of him a few years ago and slowed his development down.

Reactions: Fig

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I wish Klimchuk the best and hope he can crack an NHL roster. Never complained, just always tried to work his best. Injuries got the best of him a few years ago and slowed his development down.

Is he all finness and skill or does he have some grit to his game

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Now there's a name I hadn't heard in a while. Any physicality in Klimchuk's game? Hows the skating?

Honestly had higher hopes for Nielsen but he was a healthy scratch for the Marlies wasn't he?

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Nielsen started off his career in the AHL real hot. Was looking like a solid prospect at the time.

If he can re-find that form, he may be a good one. He's had a rough past few seasons.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Definitely a change of scenery type of trade, AHL reclamation projects of sorts.

Nielsen had a great rookie AHL season but has declined since. His average skating cannot compensate for his mediocre defensive IQ which has been his issue. Great offensive tools though (good shot and offensive awareness). Cody Franson-esque but an AHL version.

Klimchuk gives the Leafs some needed LW depth at the pro level... Likely just creates more competition for other guys in the system and should help the Marlies out overall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad