Confirmed with Link: [TOR/CAR] Patrick Marleau, Top 10 Protected 2020 1st & 2020 7th to CAR for 2020 6th Rounder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
So the Marleau signing was more of a trade than a FA signing.

We basically traded a 1st for 2 years of Marleau. That's better than most rental prices. The Bruins gave a 1st for 20 games of broken down Rick Nash.

By no means is this an excuse for Lamoriello's short sighted nonsense, but it's not a killer.
Exactly what I was saying to myself, it's as though we traded a 1st at the deadline to add a vet for a playoff run, except we got two full seasons out of it as opposed to 3 mths. That's the cost of a rental at the deadline for a 20 goal scorer with pedigree.

Of course you'd love to continue giving up nothing for a UFA, and many predicted the ērd year would be a disaster but it had to be done

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
How would you clear the cap space to sign Marner, Kapanen, and Johnsson, big boy?

It's just not a choose 1 or 2 question.

There is more going on with this team who hasn't accomplished anything.

This team is not built like a winner yet.

Only 1of those players is signed as of now big boy

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
It's just not a choose 1 or 2 question.

There is more going on with this team who hasn't accomplished anything.

This team is not built like a winner yet.

Only 1of those players is signed as of now big boy
None of them are signed actually

How do you clear the cap space to sign them?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
The hindsight is that of course the (no) deal looks poor as we didnt go on deep run. If we had, would it still have been the wrong move? Im not in Cup or Bust camp.
I would have moved JVR in the summer as GM. You can call it hindsight if you want but I was on record then and now.

I would live with whatever consequence of fan judgement because the future team greater good outweighed in my mind letting a 30 goal scorer walk for free. Add that to the fact that at the time (center,D) was a weakness and still is, I would be setting up for 2/3 years in the future. Which is right about now.

Anyway, it’s done, it’s over, it’s where we are. My point of careful asset management back then still stands. It’s vital and can bite you.

I’m not blaming Dubas for what he did. He had too. Kapanen + Johnsson over Marleau isn’t even debatable and I don’t think anyone can be upset on why we had to protect those assets.

Same with Kadri. If he’s not in the long range plans down the road, trade him. Don’t lose quality centers, 30 goal scorers and top 4 D for nothing.

Last edited:

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
I read a lot of this at work earlier, i'm not going to read all 40 pages. It seems most of the blame landed on Lou and Dubas. Seems to me the head coach wanted " Patty " as much as anyone. The trade does clear space, we are lucky enough to have lots of good young talent. So if we sign everyone i'm fine with this trade. Don't make a habit of it.

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
I wouldn't say significant minutes but it was pretty easy to see that both Ennis and Moore were bringing a hell of a lot more to the table than Marleau was yet Babcock just couldn't swallow his pride and put Marleau on the 4th line where he belonged.

He averaged close to 15 min per game in the Boston series, I just calculated it. Him and Brown should have been getting 6 to 8 min at most, while Ennis and Moore should have been given their minutes. Was beyond obvious to see. Still angers me.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
My question is... was this Dubas's decision or Marleau's? Did the family situation force this?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The Marleau experiment started off okay in earnest but ended up as a horrible disaster.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Exactly what I was saying to myself, it's as though we traded a 1st at the deadline to add a vet for a playoff run, except we got two full seasons out of it as opposed to 3 mths. That's the cost of a rental at the deadline for a 20 goal scorer with pedigree.

Of course you'd love to continue giving up nothing for a UFA, and many predicted the ērd year would be a disaster but it had to be done
...but his play was never worth a first. Probably not a second either

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Ya, from what I read, Hossa's skin condition was legit. It would be a pretty simple thing for a doctor to verify.
people need the facts, it's ridiculous that people still can't seperate the wheat from the chaff in this so called information age and give in to conclusions based on nothing more then hearing something about it somewhere some time ago

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
This trade is sad. Give up a 1st to remove 1 year of cap space?!

What was Dubas thinking? How can he not draft in the 1st round two years straight?

This is "draft shmaft" all over again.

If he can move Nylander and get a first round pick back all is not lost.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
The best part of all of this is Dubas turned around and gave Marleau's cap (+ some) to Kapanen and Johnsson - young players who deserved it.

And it's another shot across the bow of Darren 'Mitch deserves Matthews money!' Ferris, the move says 'No he doesn't, he'll take 9.75, or 10.5 on an 8 year deal and that's the end of it.'

And there's still Zaitsev (4.5) and Brown (2.1) to ship so we can go higher on Mitch if he's being intransigent - not that I really want to but if 1 mil is the difference between keeping and losing Mitch I do it.

And the pick is top ten protected (what's the condition if we somehow pick top ten?).

And there's still plenty of time to get a different 1st.

Unpleasant but had to be done and not as bad as I thought it would be.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
The best part of all of this is Dubas turned around and gave Marleau's cap (+ some) to Kapanen and Johnsson - young players who deserved it.

And it's another shot across the bow of Darren 'Mitch deserves Matthews money!' Ferris, the move says 'No he doesn't, he'll take 9.75, or 10.5 on an 8 year deal and that's the end of it.'

And there's still Zaitsev (4.5) and Brown (2.1) to ship so we can go higher on Mitch if he's being intransigent - not that I really want to but if 1 mil is the difference between keeping and losing Mitch I do it.

And the pick is top ten protected (what's the condition if we somehow pick top ten?).

And there's still plenty of time to get a different 1st.

Unpleasant but had to be done and not as bad as I thought it would be.
didn't think I could think less of the Leafs GM, but surprise surprise, Dubas finds ways to disappoint even I didn't think he could do.

Reactions: Stamkos4life
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad