Proposal: TOR/ANA

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Ritchie isn't a top-6 winger.
Nope they are both still works in progress... not really a move worth making for either team.... right now Ritchie has shown more at the NHL level... and his physicality can be pretty impactful... but kapanen still has potential to become a solid player.... I do think hell be moved from the leafs eventually as I don't think hell ever get a chance to become the player he could be in Toronto.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
To me, Kapanen is the better all-around player and has more offensive upside to boot but Richie provides something, we need, toughness and size.

If you put in Ritchie in our lineup, then your going to need to consider moving out Leivo as their roles become somewhat redundant. Our PK would also take a huge hit losing Kapanen.

I wouldn't hate this deal but I wouldn't love it either. Really depends what value you put on what Ritchie provides.

I just can’t believe my eyes when I see stuff like this.

People literally just watched the Capitals run teams out of the building to win a cup.

Besides Tom Wilson, there is zero equivalency with what the Capitals achieved and the context of this trade.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Eh...

I don't hate it in terms of value but the Leafs trade a young but unproven winger with upside for...a young unproven winger with upside? Not in a package for a D?

It's Bergevinanian in its dumbninity.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Ducks say HARD no, and scoff upon hearing it. 4th liner for top 6 winger? Lol.

I wouldn't do it as Anaheim either only because they take on the risk, but what exactly has Ritchie done to be a top 6 winger?

Ritchie is 22, Kapanen is 21. 2018 5v5 stats:

NameCF% relG/60A1/60Offensive zone starts
Ritchie1.30.50.353.6
Kapanen0.50.80.234.2
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

So Kapanen is a year young, scores a lot more per 60 mins, assists slightly less per 60, but has the downside of starting almost always in his own end.

I think sometimes we get perceptions about players, and even though the stats say otherwise, we stick to them until there is a massive undeniable shift away from the original perception.

Realistically, there is a tier of players out there that their fans love, but they are all very similar in terms of value. Lindblom (Phi), Roslovic (Win), Ritchie (Dal), Kapanen (Tor) are all great examples. All in that 21-23 year old range, all are fairly similar with Roslovic having the stand out stat of being a top 6 capable playmaker, but easier starts and worse relative corsi. Otherwise, all of these guys need to take the next step to really separate themselves and to be considered top 6 talents.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
To me, Kapanen is the better all-around player and has more offensive upside to boot but Richie provides something, we need, toughness and size.

If you put in Ritchie in our lineup, then your going to need to consider moving out Leivo as their roles become somewhat redundant. Our PK would also take a huge hit losing Kapanen.

I wouldn't hate this deal but I wouldn't love it either. Really depends what value you put on what Ritchie provides.

Besides Tom Wilson, there is zero equivalency with what the Capitals achieved and the context of this trade.
Although Tom Wilson was their only "fighter" the caps had lots of hard hitting and gritty players the leafs currently have not even one maybe Kadri but that's really pushing it. Let's see how it plays out and entire team void of toughness but entirely skill. It will be interesting

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
I wouldn't do it as Anaheim either only because they take on the risk, but what exactly has Ritchie done to be a top 6 winger?

Ritchie is 22, Kapanen is 21. 2018 5v5 stats:

NameCF% relG/60A1/60Offensive zone starts
Ritchie1.30.50.353.6
Kapanen0.50.80.234.2
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
So Kapanen is a year young, scores a lot more per 60 mins, assists slightly less per 60, but has the downside of starting almost always in his own end.

I think sometimes we get perceptions about players, and even though the stats say otherwise, we stick to them until there is a massive undeniable shift away from the original perception.

Realistically, there is a tier of players out there that their fans love, but they are all very similar in terms of value. Lindblom (Phi), Roslovic (Win), Ritchie (Dal), Kapanen (Tor) are all great examples. All in that 21-23 year old range, all are fairly similar with Roslovic having the stand out stat of being a top 6 capable playmaker, but easier starts and worse relative corsi. Otherwise, all of these guys need to take the next step to really separate themselves and to be considered top 6 talents.

I don't think anyone form ANA has been portraying Ritchie as a stud, so much as saying they would prefer what they have over Kapanen. Many of us just feel Ritchie is a better fit for the team in playstyle with the rest being a wash.

This would be the definition of doing something just to be doing it, not because there's any expectation of improving because of it.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
i'd say no personally. kap has look great with basically no opportunities. ritchie hasnt, despite being force fed a legit chance to be a top 6 guy

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017

If his progression arc continues at even 1/2 the rate as it has so far, Marchment will be able to do the same job as well as Ritchie does at a lower cap hit by the end of the year. We'll know by then if Leivo can cut it and likely Marleau will depart after his bonus next July 1 opening a space for a top six left winger for our prospects to battle over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad