Confirmed Trade: [TOR/ANA] Bernier to Anaheim for conditional 2017 pick

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
How is that awful? It was a salary dump. What is awful is Bernier's play the last year and a half #worstinnhl.

Remember this guy was severely outplayed by James Reimer last year.

He was pretty solid in the second half of last year, teams always have injuries to goalies and the Leafs will suck regardless.. no harm in keeping him around and hoping he turns things around and then flipping him during the season.

Reimer also outplayed most of the goalies in the league in the first half of the year, don't see why that is just a shot at Bernier.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
I don't see what the big deal is. Even though the conditions probably won't be met, Toronto should consider themselves lucky they even got that.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
We shed a contract that has a 4M cap hit attached to it....the player was not in the good books of the coach and it cost us nothing to get rid of the contract and yet people are still complaining.

Now if he can do the same for Lupul....:nod:

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
Yet his cap hit is 4.15M. You don't suddenly get extra value just because the destination is not a cap team. It would a be different story if Anaheim was fighting to reach the floor.

Of course you get extra value. Many budget teams would much more see value in only paying 2.15M in real dollars as opposed to 4.15M. That is the entire reason this move was not included in the original Andersen deal - because Bernier had more value once the real dollar amount was less. Not that hard to understand.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
Bernier clearly has zero value. I'm sorry you don't agree.

Yeah, it's hilarious that some people still don't get it :D

Here we have a trade that proofs Bernier having zero value and still some people claim otherwise :D

Toronto had no obligation to give Bernier to Anaheim. If they would have got any value from some other team they would have traded him there.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Of course you get extra value. Many budget teams would much more see value in only paying 2.15M in real dollars as opposed to 4.15M. That is the entire reason this move was not included in the original Andersen deal - because Bernier had more value once the real dollar amount was less. Not that hard to understand.

Fewer dollars spent is certainly a boon, but the cap hit is not negligible for a team that still has hopes of Cup contention. The net value is practically non-existent when you factor in the impact it has on potential deadline acquisitions.

The Ducks may not be a cap team, but their spending certainly puts them at a point where the contract should be concerning. Toronto paying out his bonus is one of the few things that could make the contract palatable.

Last edited:

MacerV

Jul 10, 2015
I don't see what the big deal is. Even though the conditions probably won't be met, Toronto should consider themselves lucky they even got that.

I would have rather kept Bernier, and let him play his final season in Toronto and not qualify him.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
As far as the trade goes, it's somewhat difficult to evaluate. I say that because IMO, it's pretty clear that they spoke about this during the Andersen trade. I'm sure there some conversation about trading Bernier to us after his bonus was paid. Therefore, there's really two ways to look at this trade:

Andersen + conditional pick for #30th overall, 2nd in 2017, and Bernier

or

Bernier for conditional pick

If this was discussed during their initial discussions, I think it's a very good deal for Toronto, because I think Andersen is a damn good goaltender. Plus, Lou isn't going to screw Bob over and ruin a relationship if they had already agreed to this.

If this is a completely separate deal, then it's pretty bad for Toronto. Bernier is probably better than all backup options this year, aside from maybe Reimer. His cap hit is pretty significant, but I don't see the harm in keeping him and trading him during the season when an injury happens. They most certainly could have received more for him by doing so. The only way I think Lou can justify this trade if it's indeed a separate deal, is if they use the cap space to upgrade the team. Otherwise, yeah it's pretty bad for Toronto.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
This thread just shows how much Leafs fans overvalue their assets.

every team does, though, so no.

Speak for yourself - Boston Bruin fans never lower themselves to that level. I'm not going to argue this point with you - you just need to accept it as fact. Now excuse me as I need to go and start a " Which Team Will Give Up a 1st Round Pick For Jimmy Hayes ???? " thread. :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad