Confirmed with Link: TOR acquires F Taylor Beck from NSH for F Jamie Devane (UPD: Signed - 1 year/875k)

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Yep. My bad. Senior moment.

Still wondering why Nashville didn't flip Beck for a 2nd/3rd if that's the true market value for a player of this ilk .......?

Timing isn't right for it, no rush or desperation from a buyers standpoint.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Timing isn't right for it, no rush or desperation from a buyers standpoint.

Not entirely sure what this means? The season doesn't start until October, so Nashville couldn't wait a few more months to see if the market (supposedly a 2nd/3rd according to sources here) materialized?

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
because they were presidents trophy contenders at the time, they were buyers not sellers.

That's true if the timeline was only late last season or the trade deadline. But given that the move was just made, couldn't they utilize the entire summer to see if they can move him, especially if the market is a 2nd/3rd?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
NSH wanted a fighter I think.

Devane is young, a great fighter, but can play some hockey as well.

The East doesn't have any use for players like Devane, but in the West, there is still a place for it

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
That's true if the timeline was only late last season or the trade deadline. But given that the move was just made, couldn't they utilize the entire summer to see if they can move him, especially if the market is a 2nd/3rd?

Doubt the market was either. Every team has a player like Beck somewhere. The trade was a good one when talking about value, but it's negligible what he can actually do for us.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Not entirely sure what this means? The season doesn't start until October, so Nashville couldn't wait a few more months to see if the market (supposedly a 2nd/3rd according to sources here) materialized?

The desperate buyers market won't be until close to TDL. Nashville could wait, but if he's not in your plans, might as well make an easy trade or give him away through waivers. Personally, I would guess 4th is more likely, a 3rd would be very good.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
The desperate buyers market won't be until close to TDL. Nashville could wait, but if he's not in your plans, might as well make an easy trade or give him away through waivers. Personally, I would guess 4th is more likely, a 3rd would be very good.

More like a 5-7 round pick. There's no way anyone in their right mind gives up a 2nd/3rd pick for a player like Beck.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
More like a 5-7 round pick. There's no way anyone in their right mind gives up a 2nd/3rd pick for a player like Beck.

Hey, I'm being optimistic, we did pretty well last TDL. I think we should do really well with the 2016 TDL, other than we may be trading so many of them, that we lower the over all value of a few.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
He learns to play in the NHL, why does everyone suppose that the AHL is as good a learning environment as the NHL?

AHL is a development league, you have the ability to make mistakes and be taught how to play right ... the NHL is not a development league, you play right or someone takes your job.

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
AHL is a development league, you have the ability to make mistakes and be taught how to play right ... the NHL is not a development league, you play right or someone takes your job.

Do you really think that, I thought that Percy played better than Rielly during his all too brief period with the Leafs last year yet he was returned to the AHL while Rielly, a far from developed player, continued to play for TO.

Players who graduate from the AHL are totally ready to play in the NHL without further development, I disagree I think that development is ongoing and both leagues develop players.

Rielly was kept as a Leaf because of his potential but not because he was the more developed/finished product, TO is in the process of developing him.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
NSH wanted a fighter I think.

Devane is young, a great fighter, but can play some hockey as well.

The East doesn't have any use for players like Devane, but in the West, there is still a place for it

Doubt the market was either. Every team has a player like Beck somewhere. The trade was a good one when talking about value, but it's negligible what he can actually do for us.

IMHO - If the market for a Beck was really a 2nd/3rd, Nashville would be motivated to capitalize on that, even if it meant waiting longer. 2nd/3rd seems really optimistic. Given that Beck was worth Devane in an actual trade, that provides some indication of market value.

Just my guess but I'd have to agree with the idea that he is probably more in that 5 - 7 range.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Imagine the Leafs trading Beck back to NSH at TDL for a 3rd round pick. If that happens, pretty sure Poile will be our new GM.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
IMHO - If the market for a Beck was really a 2nd/3rd, Nashville would be motivated to capitalize on that, even if it meant waiting longer. 2nd/3rd seems really optimistic. Given that Beck was worth Devane in an actual trade, that provides some indication of market value.

Just my guess but I'd have to agree with the idea that he is probably more in that 5 - 7 range.

He filled for arbitration and once a player does so the team is stuck with the player and the contract which is a one way deal, Nashville could not afford to pay him what he would have received if he did not make the team.....Nashville could have walked away from the arbitrators ruling but they would lose him for nothing....so they moved him and got an assets back.

He has value and if at the deadline he has a good year he could bring us back a draft pick....maybe as high as a 3rd....but I see us signing him if he has a good year. His play away from the puck makes him a player we keep for a few years. If he was placed on waivers he would get picked up.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Do you really think that, I thought that Percy played better than Rielly during his all too brief period with the Leafs last year yet he was returned to the AHL while Rielly, a far from developed player, continued to play for TO.

Players who graduate from the AHL are totally ready to play in the NHL without further development, I disagree I think that development is ongoing and both leagues develop players.

Rielly was kept as a Leaf because of his potential but not because he was the more developed/finished product, TO is in the process of developing him.

Being replaced doesn't necessarily mean out of the lineup, it can also mean less minutes which is pretty much the most important thing development-wise in leagues where you play that many games.

As for Percy and Rielly, Percy had a terrific first few games which is all people seem to remember. He then followed up with four games or so where he increasingly started to struggle, and that was why he was sent down. Rielly was better.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
From development stand point, unless the young prospects forward can play 15 or so mins and Defense about 17mins in the NHL, no point promoting them and give hem 5 mins a game. Bc young players need play time to get exp.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
He filled for arbitration and once a player does so the team is stuck with the player and the contract which is a one way deal, Nashville could not afford to pay him what he would have received if he did not make the team.....Nashville could have walked away from the arbitrators ruling but they would lose him for nothing....so they moved him and got an assets back.

He has value and if at the deadline he has a good year he could bring us back a draft pick....maybe as high as a 3rd....but I see us signing him if he has a good year. His play away from the puck makes him a player we keep for a few years. If he was placed on waivers he would get picked up.

See what your saying but this tells me that Nashville would have been aggressively marketing him last winter around or before the trade deadline in that case. I understood the circumstances surrounding Beck before.

I really hope the 3rd that people are projecting is correct, but it seems like a stretch for a player that couldn't crack Nashville's lineup as a 4th liner. Again, hope I'm wrong and the return is really that high.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Beck's trade value now is what it is, Jamie Devane. If it was a 2-3 pick, the Preds would have taken it, I'm sure. But his trade value at the TDL next spring will be determined by how he plays in the season. His present trade value is both decided for this point in time and almost irrelevant for that future point.

Martin St Louis' trade value to the Rangers was not influenced by the fact he was once an undrafted FA.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Beck's trade value now is what it is, Jamie Devane. If it was a 2-3 pick, the Preds would have taken it, I'm sure. But his trade value at the TDL next spring will be determined by how he plays in the season. His present trade value is both decided for this point in time and almost irrelevant for that future point.

Martin St Louis' trade value to the Rangers was not influenced by the fact he was once an undrafted FA.

Agreed, and I'd guess nobody would be arguing the point you have made. I guess more specifically the question is if he plays well, will his trade value jump from a Devane level return to a 2nd (or 3rd)? That would ostensibly be the crux of the situation. Hopefully it will, but I guess we'll see.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
He was. Most were very surpriszed that Burke would pick a goon that high and thought it was a wasted pick.

There were a lot of wasted picks under the for regime drafting muscle like Devane. If you have to draft a player of that ilk do it in the 7th round if at all.

Taylor Beck actually has hockey skills so this trade is a no brainer decision with no downside. Devane was never going to dress for the Leafs under the new management group that stresses skill.

Taylor Beck was draft 2 spots after Devane in the 3rd round in 2009 draft so its like a draft re-do now correcting previous mistakes.

Beck might actually even be on the roster of the Leafs to start the year as he would need to clear waivers to go to the NHL and some team might but in a waiver claim.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad