Prospect Info: Topi Niemela what do you guys think?

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I didn't realize he was young enough to play WJC again as the defending most valuable D.

He is my fav prospect at the moment. Much like Sandin i think he has some personality to his game.

Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Obviously looked great at the world juniors, looks like theres some nice upside there. But, I've also learned to not get too far ahead of myself based on one world junior tournament. I'd have him somewhere in our top 3 prospects, assuming Sandin and Liljegren graduate.

Reactions: Its not your fault

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Obviously looked great at the world juniors, looks like theres some nice upside there. But, I've also learned to not get too far ahead of myself based on one world junior tournament. I'd have him somewhere in our top 3 prospects, assuming Sandin and Liljegren graduate.
Take a look at the season he is having at the moment playing against men in the Finish league. Some pretty serious offensive stats for a 19 year old

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Take a look at the season he is having at the moment playing against men in the Finish league. Some pretty serious offensive stats for a 19 year old
Yup, hes having a great year offensively, but I havent seen much of him personally(outside the WJC) to know what hes looked like this season.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
There's a lot to like. He's in some excellent company in terms of WJC Best Defenseman winners.

Also, his numbers in Liiga are exceptional for his age.

Reactions: Morgs

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It would be nice if the Leafs could finally draft and develop a star player outside of the first 2 rounds... heck outside of the 1st round at this rate.

I'm keeping my expectations low about Niemela but we'll see how he does when he moves over to North America.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
It would be nice if the Leafs could finally draft and develop a star player outside of the first 2 rounds... heck outside of the 1st round at this rate.

I'm keeping my expectations low about Niemela but we'll see how he does when he moves over to North America.

Hell it would be nice to get back to Quinn/Ferguson era draft results. I'd be stoked if we got a less douchey Ian White out of Niemela.
And turned up a D+2 2nd round surprise like Stajan

Reactions: SprDaVE

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
He's currently 7th in the league in scoring, at 19 years old... he sure does show some promise, and it wouldn't shock me to see him do very well at the WJC. But being a NHL quality D man, is a long ways from dominating the WJC, or Liga. He's promising for certain, but is still a prospect a few years from being NHL ready, if he ever gets that far.

There is this thread on him, well worth the read.

Strong offensively, in transition... needs work in his zone.. but he's small and young... hopefully he puts on some muscle, that doesn't affect his skating, and he learns the D game more... at least learning D, is easier than teaching someone the offensive talents he has.

RD Topi Niemelä - Kärpät, Liiga (2020, 64th, TOR)

Watched about a third of his games. His minutes/usage have gotten progressively harder as the season has gone on and he's still managed to maintain his underlying numbers and points. I believe he's 2nd pair on paper but is top 2 in minutes per game on the team.

His ability to get shots through from the point is pretty unique. Very mobile, a rover all over the ice.

Transitional defense is easily his standout trait. Reads lanes/plays at a high level and intercepts passes way ahead of time. Biggest weakness is he's still pretty slim and gets outmuscled on the cycle and in front of the net but he has a solid battle level and willingness to engage physically. Still needs to mature physically but from an IQ standpoint he's a beast.

On pace to comfortably break the all-time Liiga record for U20 points by a defender, even if he leaves for the WJC. If he keeps this up he's going to be a blue chip prospect by the new year.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Hell it would be nice to get back to Quinn/Ferguson era draft results. I'd be stoked if we got a less douchey Ian White out of Niemela.
And turned up a D+2 2nd round surprise like Stajan

We seem to find players and that's better than nothing... just not star players or high level ones. It'd be nice if Niemela could be our Klingberg or Parayko at the very least.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Agreed. I’m keeping expectations really low on this pick and will let Niemela jump through the hoops he needs to. The thing that I’m not sure about is what kind of blueline group he would be promoted to eventually with a guy like Sandin ahead of him.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
I've always thought that he's gonna turn out to be a stud defenseman, was so pumped when they drafted him. Seems like a late bloomer who slipped to the Leafs in the 3rd round.

Reactions: Cecithepylon

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Who knows. Prospects in general are so hard to predict, but even more-so with Dmen.
Let's not get carried until he gives us cause to.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Yup, hes having a great year offensively, but I havent seen much of him personally(outside the WJC) to know what hes looked like this season.
Same here just have seen lots of talk from others about his great play this year and his stats seem to support that

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
He's my favourite Leaf prospect besides Liljegren. Had him as a 1st round pick in his draft year (28th) because of his outstanding defensive play in the top-4 in Liiga as a D0. His transition play, puck skills, and physicality stood out as well, and I thought he looked like a modern-day NHL defenseman with limited offensive upside (similar to a Dermott). Since then it seems like his defensive play has taken a bit of a back seat (not transition defense, which is still amazing) and some questions have developed about his ability to defend in zone (especially getting outmuscled), but the offense has taken a MAJOR leap in the last year+.

Last season Karpat took him out of the top-4 and gave him easy minutes (which he crushed), which was most likely due to injuries and leaving for the WJC (which he crushed, and won best defenseman at the tournament). It's hard to get a real read on last season though because it was so limited, he played very sheltered, and they really didn't put him in a position to succeed offensively besides 5v5:

Player NameAgePosLeagueGPGoalsPointsPPGNHLerel.CF%Rel.FF%ATOIOZS%oiSH%
Niemela, TopiD1RHDLiiga15040.277.99.6%-15:3059.8%9.9%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
This season he's over 20 minutes a game, getting harder zone starts, real PP time, and he's keeping his head well above water (besides his goalies .875 sv% with him on the ice), and producing at a clip never seen by a defenseman his age:

Player NameAgePosLeagueGPGoalsPointsPPGNHLerel.CF%Rel.FF%ATOIOZS%oiSH%
Niemela, TopiD2RHDLiiga183160.8926.44.6%-20:1151.7%12.3%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
At the moment he's in my top-tier of prospects for this team (Liljegren, Sandin, Robertson, Amirov). With Robby/Amirov getting injured and the fact both Liljegren and Sandin should be graduating, I wouldn't be surprised if he was #1 for me by the end of this season. He's incredible.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Generally speaking I've been a bit surprised by the general lack of enthusiasm for some of the teams Euro draft selections despite their fairly impressive performances of late.

Part of this is obviously due to the North American location bias of most Leafs fans, but can't help but wonder if some of these guys were putting up huge numbers on a chl team if there would be more interest/hype

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
On track to crush the scoring record for D men u20 in Liiga. Hes been phenomenal since being drafted. I love both he and Amirov as prospects for us and think they both have serious upside.

Reactions: Lil Tuzzi Bert

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Generally speaking I've been a bit surprised by the general lack of enthusiasm for some of the teams Euro draft selections despite their fairly impressive performances of late.

As you mentioned, a part of this is because they aren't North American based, meaning the average Leafs fan doesn't know anything about these kids.

It's also due to the fact that a player's success in Europe means absolutely nothing in North America - we've seen plenty of players succeed in Europe, only to struggle immensely when coming here. Success in Europe isn't a great indicator of success in the North American game.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
He looks like one of the only really good picks Dubas made. I still remember on draft day looking thru the mock draft, I saw his height and weight and knew it was a Dubas pick :laugh:

But what he needs to do, like Robertson, is get stronger. I believe he sustained a fairly serious shoulder injury being out manned along the boards last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad