Top Wingers of the 80's:

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I think a Bossy, Kurri/Makarov, Krutov ranking is a little more believeable. Bossy was one of the very best goal scorers ever, and many rank him in the 20-30 range all-time. Makarov is obviously tough to judge due to circumstances, and it's possible he would have indeed been as prolific a scorer as Bossy, but I think that requires a pretty big leap of faith. Putting him alongside Kurri is a lot more reasonable IMO.

Fredrik_71

Dec 24, 2007
Sweden
The KLM line was arguble the best line in hockey for a long time. But because they entered the NHL past their prime its hard to judge them. I have a hard time equaling Bossy and Makarov. But if Makarov had entered the NHL at 20 instead of 30 I do think I think he would have put up monster numbers.

As a line I personally have the KLM line as the top 1-3 all-time considering.

/Cheers

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Bossy
Kurri
Makarov

Then, it's a bit of a mess. I'm inclined to answer Goulet and Krutov.

VelvetJones

Oct 10, 2007
Luc Robitaille should be mentioned even though he only played the last 1/2 of the 80's.

BrOrpik 44

Mar 30, 2009
The Top Winger of the 80's.

kipwinger005.jpg

:sarcasm:

I'll need to think about this actually

greatgazoo

Jan 26, 2008
Cobourg
1. Makarov
2. Bossy
3. Kurri
4. Goulet
5. Robitaille

31 points in 22 Canada Cup games...no winger can possibly beat that! (Makarov)

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
9 straight 50 goal seasons in the NHL will also be hard for any winger(or anyone for that matter) to match or beat. Mike Bossy has to be at the top.

Makarov had 9 straight scoring titles in the Soviet league, which is at the very least a comparable accomplishment.

At this point I give Bossy the edge because as good as Makarov was in the Canada Cups and whatnot, Bossy outscored him all three times they played in the same tournament. I'd love to know their stats in head-to-head Canada/Soviet games though.

Jungosi

Jan 14, 2007
Rendsburg / Germany
Makarov had 9 straight scoring titles in the Soviet league, which is at the very least a comparable accomplishment.

At this point I give Bossy the edge because as good as Makarov was in the Canada Cups and whatnot, Bossy outscored him all three times they played in the same tournament. I'd love to know their stats in head-to-head Canada/Soviet games though.

The statistics I found at www.chidlovski.net are incomplete but are the best I can come up with. Maybe someone elsse has access to the additional data.

In '81 they scored a goal each in the two games between Canada and Russia. I couldn't find the assist though. (I'm pretty sure that Makarov got a few assists in the 8-1 blowout since Larionov and Krutov scored three goals combined)

In '84 Makarov outscored him by one goal (2-1). Makarov got one in each game while Bossy scored the game winner in their semi-final match-up.

So Makarov scored 3 goals when they went head-to-head while Bossy scored two. No assist date available but my best guess is that Makarov got the upper hand in this department because his linemates scored quite a bit. Larionov has 3 goals and the same goes for Krutov. Not sure who Bossy's linemates where though.

Both were selected to the all-star team of the tournament once. Concluding I'd say that Makarov's resume looks slightly better (from the available data at least).

Wetcoaster

The KLM line was arguble the best line in hockey for a long time. But because they entered the NHL past their prime its hard to judge them. I have a hard time equaling Bossy and Makarov. But if Makarov had entered the NHL at 20 instead of 30 I do think I think he would have put up monster numbers.

As a line I personally have the KLM line as the top 1-3 all-time considering.

/Cheers
It is hard to beat the original Detroit Production Line of Abel, Howe and Lindsay. IN 1950 Lindsay won the scoring title and the three finished 1–2–3 in NHL scoring - that has never been equalled since.

Boston's fabled Kraut Line (centre Milt Schmidt, left wing Woody Dumart, and right winger Bobby Bauer) also finished 1-2-3 in scoring in 1939-40. They all enlisted in 1942 with the RCAF and missed three seasons until the end of WWII. Who knows how good they would have been. On February 11, 1942, their last game before reporting for duty, the line accumulated 22 points on the way to an 8–1 victory over Montreal.

Pear Juice

Dec 12, 2007
Gothenburg, SWE
1) Jari Kurri
2) Michel Goulet
3) Glenn Anderson
4) Mike Gartner
5) Mike Bossy
How anyone can not put Bossy at the top of this list is beyond me. I guess Kurri is good competition, and there we have an argument, but behind Anderson and Gartner! You must value career games higher than anything.

He was a 5-time first-team All Star in only 10 years.
9 straight 50 goal seasons
Fastest player to reach 100 career goals
69 goals in five runs to the cup
4 Stanley Cups
1 Conn Smythe
Calder Trophy

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
It is hard to beat the original Detroit Production Line of Abel, Howe and Lindsay. IN 1950 Lindsay won the scoring title and the three finished 1–2–3 in NHL scoring - that has never been equalled since.
KLM were 1-2-3 in scoring in 86 and 87.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
How anyone can not put Bossy at the top of this list is beyond me. I guess Kurri is good competition, and there we have an argument, but behind Anderson and Gartner! You must value career games higher than anything.

He was a 5-time first-team All Star in only 10 years.
9 straight 50 goal seasons
Fastest player to reach 100 career goals
69 goals in five runs to the cup
4 Stanley Cups
1 Conn Smythe
Calder Trophy

Yeah, what he said. ^^^

Thanks for beating me to it, dude. I could feel my blood pressure rising when I saw Gartner's name ahead of Bossy.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
In a league every bit as good as the NHL.
Top-end was close to the NHL. Depth was a different story. No league has been able to come close to the NHL in terms of depth for more than 80 years.

I don't have my Top 100 list in front of me. But I'm pretty sure that Bossy and Kurri would be the clear-cut No. 1 and 2, respectively.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Top-end was close to the NHL. Depth was a different story. No league has been able to come close to the NHL in terms of depth for more than 80 years.

I don't have my Top 100 list in front of me. But I'm pretty sure that Bossy and Kurri would be the clear-cut No. 1 and 2, respectively.

You think Kurri was clearly ahead of Makarov?

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
You think Kurri was clearly ahead of Makarov?

In terms of raw skills, no way. Makarov was a monster.

I personally give the slight edge to Bossy, Kurri and Goulet because of their impact in the NHL, which I consider the best league in the world, ever.

I would love to have seen the Soviets in their prime playing in the NHL.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
In terms of raw skills, no way. Makarov was a monster.

I personally give the slight edge to Bossy, Kurri and Goulet because of their impact in the NHL, which I consider the best league in the world, ever.

I would love to have seen the Soviets in their prime playing in the NHL.

I think it's a disservice to Makarov to rate Kurri and (especially) Goulet ahead of him based solely on what league they played in. Makarov won 9 straight Soviet scoring titles, tore up the Canada Cup and every other international tournament, and was probably the best of the three from age 31-onwards (the age Makarov joined the NHL at).

I can see an argument for Kurri, although I disagree. I can't see a good argument for Goulet, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad