Top Two Picks

Dicky Dangles

dangles the puck.
Oct 3, 2006
Manhattan Beach
Within the last year, all four of Philly's teams have had top two picks in their respective league's drafts. Starting with the homerun of a pick with the Eagles drafting Carson Wentz at #2, on to the Phillies picking Mickey Moniak with the #1 overall pick, continuing with the Sixers selecting Ben Simmons #1, culminating with the Flyers with the opportunity to pick Patrick/Hischier at #2 overall.

Really, I'm just excited about all of this as a Philly sports fan, and wanted to create a thread to celebrate it. I know there are already individual threads about all of it, but you can never have enough enthusiasm for the potential the city has for great times to come with our teams.

Maybe, none of these guys/teams ultimately have great success in the future, but it's a lot of fun knowing that the sky is the limit for all of them.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Im not an Eagles fan (because I dont hate myself) but I am pumped for Moniak, Simmons, Patrick/Hischier and all the future holds!

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Any word on Moniak and how he's progressing ?

Im not the one to ask as I dont follow Phillies prospect progress like I do with the Flyers. If you ask that question in the Phils thread, you'll surely get some answers.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
I find it quite interesting that the four Teams achieved the Top or #2 Picks in very different manners.

* The Eagles had fallen into the Phantom Zone with little hope of becoming a legitimate SB Contender... and a consistant PlayOff Team once again, after many Seasons of PostSeasons under Reid... They set their sights on nabbing a Franchise QB and traded down to get one of their Targeted QBs... Smart dealing while willing to give up Assets netting them their #2 and Cleveland's selecting gave them their QB.

* The Flyers were in a somewhat competitive Retooling and were a BubbleTeam that barely made or missed the PostSeason... awaiting their Prospects to be ready and Veteran Contracts to expire... It took pure luck -- or help from a Heavenly source -- to buck extremely low odds and gain the #2 Selection in a dead horse two man Draft... A chance ping pong ball gave the Flyers their probabale future #1 Center.

* The Phillies had a Division Dynasty and a powerhouse with many all-time positional Players who had won a World Championship and made two consecutive trips to the Dance... They were slowly and graciously moving out their top Players with dignity; often after their good years... They were in full need of restocking the shelves with a total Rebuild... selecting and obtaiong their future Team... They gave us a Championship and completely earned their Top Selection.

* The Sixers were bad and mismanaged for way too many Seasons... They purposely compounded their position and completely tanked for numerous Seasons to gain multiple top selections and hopefully the right Players to succeed in the NBA... They took Players that had baggage and were shunned by other Organizations to get even higher-ended Prospects in hopes of it all falling into place... They also traded to gain possible higher... The 76ers Tanked and plotted their way to multiple top Selections.

Four Teams... Four Sports... Four Different Ways of Getting Top Selections. :yo:

Dicky Dangles

dangles the puck.
Oct 3, 2006
Manhattan Beach
* The Flyers were in a somewhat competitive Retooling and were a BubbleTeam that barely made or missed the PostSeason... awaiting their Prospects to be ready and Veteran Contracts to expire... It took pure luck -- or help from a Heavenly source -- to buck extremely low odds and gain the #2 Selection in a dead horse two man Draft... A chance ping pong ball gave the Flyers their probabale future #1 Center.

Yep, I love that we were seemingly rewarded for not tanking. Instead, we Weised the juice.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
This is all thanks to Dale Weise. If he didn't win us that last game we wouldn't be picking 2nd.

Hextall knew this was going to happen all along. That's why he signed him.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
This is all thanks to Dale Weise. If he didn't win us that last game we wouldn't be picking 2nd.

Hextall knew this was going to happen all along. That's why he signed him.

I'm so happy I didn't make jokes about giant chins and say "Why the long face?" after that final game and just assumed that it was for the best. Oh wait ... :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad