Top Ten Modern Wrestlers

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I've been talking to friends about the top ten wrestlers recently.

What are yours?

I'll take a crack at this list and why. In no particular order

1) Ric Flair-career spanned over five decades. Did it in the South (Crockett/WCW), did it up North (WWF). Could be a face or heel. 16x World Champ. He's mainstream.

2) Hulk Hogan-Wrestling isn't mainstream if not for him. Limited in ring ability but charisma and looks off the charts. Helped get wrestling mainstream in two decades.

3) Shawn Michaels-Top 3 greatest in ring performers ever. Could work with anyone in any style. Only downside is his singles push started in late 92/early 93 when the WWF was about to experience a slump, and he was champ during a tough time for WWF. So many memorable matches and moments in his career both good, and notorious.

4)Undertaker-The phenom. He began his WWF run during the old school era, and also was one of the main people of the attitude era. Had several different incarnations but always memorable and always loved.

5)Ricky Steamboat-Like Shawn Michaels, one of the most athletically gifted wrestlers and could work with anyone in any situation. His match at WMIII with Savage and his 89 feud with Flair two of the greatest ever. Only downside was his original WWF run was cut short and when he came back in 91, they literally made him a Dragon.

6)Stone Cold Steve Austin-the Hulk Hogan of the Attitude Era. His popularity made WWF mainstream again after about five years of struggling. Downside was his in ring work was limited to brawling due to injuries. His WCW in ring work >>>> his WWF in ring work until he had the neck fusion. Then he was great but had the limited shelf life due to injury.

7) The Rock-He transcended wrestling and became a main stream movie star/celebrity. He also gets bonus points for incredible charisma, and becoming popular after the fans initially hated him. The only loss of points to me is his in ring work during his peak (98-02) was awful. Punch, punch, punch, punch. People's Elbow. His match with Undertaker and King Of The Ring 99 is unwatchable. He actually got better after he left for Hollywood.

8) Arn Anderson-The blue collar meat and potatoes guy. He could do singles, tag, etc. Solid worker. Could be put in any situation. Only problem was he was always in Flair's shadow which wasn't his fault.

9)Shane Douglas-Basically started ECW and was literally The Franchise. He helped make ECW a legit #3 to WWF/WCW for about 6-7 years and because of ECW, WWF started The Attitude Era.

10)Bret Hart-Longevitiy, champ in both feds, tag champ, great in ring work, charisma. Worked as both a face and a heel. He wasn't as colorful or intense as some of the WWF Golden Era characters, but I appreciate him more now than then.

Honorable mentions: Gotta give props to Harley Race and Dusty Rhodes. Sabu, Taz, RVD, Macho Man, and many of the great tag teams, too many to name. I loved Ultimate Warrior as a kid. Kerry Von Erich as well but his national exposure was so late in his career. Curt Henning. Rick Rude. Jerry Lawler. I'm not a HHH fan. He's done a lot but never liked his in ring work plus his character seemed to have no consistency: is he a blue blood? is he playing himself? Terry Funk. And of course...Mick Foley.

Elvis P

Everybody on the whole cell block
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
The Big Three: Hulk Hogan
Ric Flair
Shawn Michaels

Curt Henning
Road Warriors
Nick Bockwinkel

The Fabulous Free birds

Scott Hall (Razor Ramon)

Jerry Lawler

Rick Martel

HM: Wahoo McDaniel

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
These are my top 10's

1. Stone Cold Steve Austin
2. Shawn Michaels
3. Kurt Angle
4. The Undertaker
5. Ric Flair
6. Randy Savage
7. Mr. Perfect
8. The Rock
9. Eddie Guerrero
10. Jake Roberts

11. Owen Hart
12. Bam Bam Bigelow
13. Vader
14. Chris Jericho
15. Brian Pillman

Never liked Bret Hart really, Hogan was god awful in the ring, and yeah... That's pretty much it. This list has nothing do do with who the best are, they're just people who i have enjoyed over the years.

Last edited:

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Ric Flair
Hulk Hogan
Macho Man
Sting
Big Van Vader
Brett Hart
Mr. Perfect
Ultimate Warrior
The Undertaker
Shawn Michaels

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
When starting the thread I tried to be fair to WWF, NWA/Crockett/WCW, ECW.

I'm from the East Coast so there's a def East Coast bias I was trying to avoid because WWF just had so much more exposure than the Southern promotions, and I was fortunate because I was able to watch tons of wrestling. (WWF was national, Turner had the Crockett/WCW, ECW prior to being national was shown on MSG Networks 1 AM ET on Sundays which of course shows Rangers games, and even in the early 90s WCCW out of Texas was shown on Sports Channel (which showed the Islanders and Devils) Saturdays 1 AM).

Sting is one to consider. He'd probably be like #11-12 on my list. Only problem I ever had with him, he never had a long championship reign. Vader was the man, he gets left off because his reign in WCW came during a dark period in the wrestling industry, and in WWF he just wasn't pushed right.

Wahoo McDaniel, a little before my time. Same with Bruno Sammartino, Iron Sheik, and guys like Harley Race who I remember at the end of his career. Those guys were all studs in the regional days. Modern to me is either when WWWF became WWF, or Wrestlemania era.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
1. Misawa
2. Kobashi
3. Kawasaki
4. Dynamite Kid
5. Harley Race
6. Hulk Hogan
7. Austin
8. Rock
9. Flair
10. Brody

Sorry Shawn Michaels, but while you were a great entertainer, these guys either were much better wrestlers or transcended the sport.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Too many categories that guys can be put in. As entertainers, draws, pure wrestlers, etc....

I would say Kurt Angle, Bret, Curt Hennig, The Rock would be on my list.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
This is difficult because anyone born in the late 80s to present can't take Ric Flair serious. He is one of those that tarnished a legendary career by never going away. But I'm sure he deserves #1. But from a personal level, he wouldn't even be close to my top list.

Sheppy's so far is probably close to mine. I still think HBK was the greatest wrestler of all time. Nobody can touch him.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I forgot how much i really enjoyed Bam Bam Bigelow. The guy is so god damn athletic for his size... Guy's like him an Vader were so damn good.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
You're going to need to give us a lot more parameters.

When do you define "modern era"?
What metric are we using? Technical skills, promo, versatility, athleticism, complete package, money drawn, mainstream appeal?
Does work in a tag team count, or are you looking at singles careers only?

Need more information, brother.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Just wanted to point out: it's Curt Hennig.

I can't even begin to try to pick 10; too much to consider for reasons others have already stated.

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
in no order

Bret Hart (greatest in ring wrestler of all time)
Undertaker (In my opinion, what wrestling was all about. He made something work that only he could. I mean damn, even the American Badass worked. If I had to pick one to be the greatest ever, it would be him. Corner stone and longevity [Ish/Since he only has special appearances.] Past is not to be ignored. Biggest Wrestlemania draw
Shawn Michaels (If not for his horrible back injury and ego, my hate for him aside, he'd be the greatest ever)
Stone Cold Steve Austin (Arguable almost single-handedly won the Monday night wars. Dude was that amazing. Could make anyone working with him look like a million bucks.)
The Rock (Best talker, one if not the biggest draw of all time [Undertaker-Wrestlemania aside] From 1999-2001, everything was The Rock) <-- Personally my favorite. He helped me a lot growing up as a kid.
Kurt Angle (He's just a freak. Could work with anyone big or small. You had 5 star matches with him, every night.)
Chris Benoit (Not many could match his in-ring abilities. Shame the way it ended, but he was a ring general)
Ric Flair (Titles aside, he put wrestling on the map. Enough said)
Chris Jericho (No matter what era he was/is a part of, he's so damn entertaining. It's hard to find another hate to love/love to hate this guy. You don't like this, then you just made the list.)
John Cena (This guy is just a workhorse. Character wise he's gotten stale...like...10 years ago... but can't help but respect the man himself. Definitely carried the business on his back mid 2000 on.)

HM: Hulk Hogan (When you think wrestling, his name comes up first. That aside, I just don't like him.)

10 was hard. Considering low ratings and no competition to push them week in and week out, the business could easily be gone if it weren't for certain people)

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Bored as hell at work, thought I'd just throw some names out. Born in '82, watching WWF as long as I can remember, was well aware of NWA, AWA, and WCW as a kid but didn't really know too much. I got all the magazines (PWI, etc.) so I read up on whatever they were peddlin'.

Bret
Piper
Hulk
Undertaker
HBK
Flair
Backlund
Dusty
Rock, The (not Rock, Don Muraco lol)
Austin
Savage

Probable honorable mentions that I am just too unfamiliar with since I haven't really followed in far too many years: Cena, Punk,

No attempt to keep 10 names, didn't even count how many I ended up with.

Andre, Bruno, come to mind when I think of guys I didn't see in their heyday, but am familiar w/their work. Hard to really gauge it, but they can't be ignored. Possibly falling outside of the "modern" label, though. There are surely others that should fit right in here as well. Iron Sheik? If I count Backlund perhaps he should be there too.

Guys from 'my time' whom I really liked, but just can't see them at these levels.

Jericho (huge fan since early WCW days, never became stale IMO)
HHH (liked to hate him as a basically-generic blueblood heel, but really started to like him as "Triple H" rather than "Hunter Hearst-Helmsley")
Warrior (at least his initial WWF run, didn't care on his returns)
Hall/Nash (got stale later on, but impact was huge. Big fans of Razor & Diesel as a young teen)
Vader (gets overlooked a lot, but this guy was something else and seemed to go forever)

the following are obvious talent-wise
Angle
Owen
Eddy
Benoit

Never a fan of Sting but I know a great talent when I see one. Never disliked him, just didn't care much 99% of the time.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I will consider "modern" to mean 1983 and on, since that was when Vince left the NWA and started creating the wrestling landscape that we now recognize.

This is based on in ring ability and promo work. The Rock was never that good in ring, but he was tremendous on promos. Kobashi didn't cut many promos (and I can't even understand them) but he did have charisma and was great in the ring. I can recognized that this list is a bit too biased (North American 90s stars) but that is difficult to avoid.

Presented in chronological (career) order - Flair, Savage, Hart, Hennig, Michaels, Kobashi, Austin, Jericho, Rock, Bryan

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Ewww, too much Bret love in here... Angle trumps him.

Dude, we get it, you hate Bret.

Unfortunately for you, that's just not a popular opinion. Especially for a board with a big Canadian contingent.

I really can't stand Shawn Michaels and he'll never make my list. But I don't deny he's one of the greats.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Dude, we get it, you hate Bret.

Unfortunately for you, that's just not a popular opinion. Especially for a board with a big Canadian contingent.

I really can't stand Shawn Michaels and he'll never make my list. But I don't deny he's one of the greats.

I won't deny that Bret is a great either. I just found watching him was like watching paint dry for the most part, and i truly believe Owen Hart was a better in ring performer than Bret was. Maybe a lot of it is Bret's pissy ass attitude that turns my stomach.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Ewww, too much Bret love in here... Angle trumps him.

Sorry, I thought he was the coolest even w/the Hart Foundation. I was about 7 years old at the time and grew up w/him going onto everything he achieved. Hard to live in that time, at that age, and not like Bret.

Harts & Demolition, I freakin' marked out so hard no matter if they were heel or face!

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
This is difficult because anyone born in the late 80s to present can't take Ric Flair serious. He is one of those that tarnished a legendary career by never going away. But I'm sure he deserves #1. But from a personal level, he wouldn't even be close to my top list.

Sheppy's so far is probably close to mine. I still think HBK was the greatest wrestler of all time. Nobody can touch him.

I was born in that period and Flair is always somewhere between 1-3 on my list. The order fluctuates a bit at times but he's always top three.

I don't believe anything he has done undoes anything he did beforehand. Those great things still happened, he was capable of doing them. Much like I don't judge say Chelios for hanging around far past his prime. Some people jump on players for holding on "too long" to me if you want to do it and someone is willing to pay you to do it then more power to you. Flair's last few years simply aren't a fair or accurate reflection of his ability.

Fact is few can touch Flair in terms of historical importance and as an all around professional wrestling package.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Are people basing Hulk Hogan off of importance? Because the guy was dog **** in the ring when you look back on it, hahaha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad